• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Skullbikers Staying Healthy in 2020 Flog

ahayastani said:
I have never eaten "pickled eggs", not even thought about preparing them... They made me think of 1000-year old egg, which I don't dislike, but they aren't pickled I guess. The use of "beet colourant" is a splendid idea, however ;)
Since it is the left over brine from the beets there may be some of that flavor added into the mix. When I grow and pickle my own beets I usually mix eggs and beets in the same jar.
I think I will probably take a pass on the 1000 year eggs, possibly because they do not look very palatable to me.[emoji51]

Sometimes a person just needs to eat something REALLY good.

The ingredients/components.

B3668067-C72C-49D9-94C6-1AD64ED93A64.jpeg

A couple of BIG spoons of ROCOTO MONTUFAR jelly.

D5A16CB6-A0DA-4F44-AC72-4852AB41BD60.jpeg

Then finish up with an extra large portion of chocolate syrup...........did I mention that I like chocolate?

5617A15B-B78E-489B-A923-EB13B47FF641.jpeg

Oh yeah, it was very good!

I cut up/deseeded some yellow peppers for a fermented sauce. 
Calling it the FATAL SUN.  ☀️

1 1/2 lbs yellow bell/sweet peppers
1/2 lb Fatalii peppers
3 tbls light brown sugar
2 tbls Him. pink salt
2 tbls Costco diced garlic

Blend it all together, put it in a jar with an Easy Fermenter or other vacuum lid and pump it down.
I will swish this one around every day for a couple weeks and then every other day after that. It should be ready for pasteurization and final touches in 3 to 6 months.

B10567C7-FD51-4B38-A20F-2797574FD2FB.jpeg

18DEF07E-5772-4123-B226-0B79988DB638.jpeg

Busy morning today. I cut up and cleaned the all the peppers I picked last weekend(I hate processing peppers). I used 1/2 lb of Caribbean Red peppers along with 1 1/2 lbs red sweet peppers and buzzed up another ferment using the same recipe I always use. I named this one Caribbean Red Eye. Then I got out my Miracle Kitchen+  https://syndicate-sales.com/online-store/ols/products/miracle-kitchen-plus  and chopped up various jalapenos, Caribbean Yellow, Yellow Pepperoncini, a few rocotos, jalapeno orange spice, and some Brazilian Starfish. I put them in brine and made a bunch of relish, almost a gallon and a half.

75353792-421F-4A47-8F2C-EA80E280F87E.jpeg

After about a week or two in the refrigerator I will dump all three jars in a big pan and mix them all together. Then I will put the relish in jars and water bath can it(I actually use a steam canner that does the same thing).  

I thought I would try something different tonite.

I took the pulp and juice from a Passion Fruit and the inner pulp from half of a large Dragon Fruit and put it in a small bowl. I then took a fork and mashed and mixed it up.

1BA8AF8E-726F-443B-9AB2-DF9F1B1506B0.jpeg

I took this and poured it over my frozen yogert.

437BF159-4A91-48CC-BCF6-8C361208F2EE.jpeg

WOW....................These two flavors mixed together made an awesome tasting topping.

I made myself a light early lunch today(in preparation for my pig-out on shrimp and beef at Golden Coral tonite). 
Maruchan Yakisoba Spicy Chicken and my home made Biker Billy hot sauce.

0386C9EE-E6CC-4842-9B08-ED43861395B3.jpeg

I rarely follow directions so I put the spice powder in under the noodle instead of mixing it in after cooking.

24FEA3EF-7057-44E3-901E-9060558D6E20.jpeg

Splooge large quantity of hot sauce over noodles.

DB0F3EF2-EAD4-41FB-A2BC-6FE490655233.jpeg

Pour water(I use ZERO Water for the purest taste) over the sauce and up to predetermined line.

A38867A8-227E-4123-AE53-A540528E86DA.jpeg

Throw in microwave and cook. When done, mix it up a bit and gobble it down. 

FEBD7C64-2CA8-4C3F-BA22-9C4A0A402B22.jpeg

skullbiker said:
I thought I would try something different tonite.

I took the pulp and juice from a Passion Fruit and the inner pulp from half of a large Dragon Fruit and put it in a small bowl. I then took a fork and mashed and mixed it up.

attachicon.gif
1BA8AF8E-726F-443B-9AB2-DF9F1B1506B0.jpeg

I took this and poured it over my frozen yogert.

attachicon.gif
437BF159-4A91-48CC-BCF6-8C361208F2EE.jpeg

WOW....................These two flavors mixed together made an awesome tasting topping.

We know Dragon Fruit as pitaya here. I'm making an attempt at sowing some... In a few years I might have some :D Not cheap here... U$ 3/kg in supermarket, or U$ 20/crate. That is a lot compared to other produce. But taste is :thumbsup: 

ahayastani said:

We know Dragon Fruit as pitaya here. I'm making an attempt at sowing some... In a few years I might have some :D Not cheap here... U$ 3/kg in supermarket, or U$ 20/crate. That is a lot compared to other produce. But taste is :thumbsup: 
They certainly are NOT a cheap treat to buy in the store. Here they are usually sold for about $5.00 per fruit. The red ones are super tasty. If I ever get enough Miracle Fruit berries at one time I'm going to do a three way mix of those plus the Dragon Fruit plus Passion Fruit. I think it would be SUPER TASTY along with being super healthy!

I finally finished the 220v wiring for my HarvestRight freeze dryer and got it set up again after moving. 

1AD4ED44-07EF-405D-96EF-7E9F25A6315C.jpeg

I filled the five trays with various fruit items. Some bananas from our tree behind the house that we had previously cut up and frozen, some cut up papaya from our tree, some orange sorbet made from oranges off the trees behind our garage, and some frozen rasberrys to fill the last tray. These were then deep frozen in the unit for 10 hours. It gets cold!

B12584B7-42F3-43BF-BE62-AA8754D7FDAB.jpeg

I stopped the freeze a little early and let the vacuum pump start. When that happens the air is drawn out of the chamber and the temp makes an immediate plunge.

1E7429F9-E151-4384-9B5D-8CFD4A61CF01.jpeg

Then it goes into the drying cycle and the trays are heated to about 130°f and then allowed to cool again. These heating and cooling cycles continue with the vacuum applied which causes the moisture to sublimate and adhere/freeze to the inside of the drum. 

A4C792FE-C21C-409A-9956-53884B0675AB.jpeg

This process removes nearly 100% of the moisture from whatever you have freeze dryed. Everything is super crispy dry and light as a feather!
This is the result: 2 quarts papaya, 4 pints bananas with a few rasberrys, and nearly 2 quarts of orange sorbet.

64C8EC48-C847-4DEF-BB2C-5CBEAC9F50D5.jpeg

These jars are vacuum sealed and should be good for several years. For the longest storage life(approximately 20 years), put the freeze dryed product in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

Im gonna have to check into one of these.  Question:  Why does the oil need to be filtered and changed with each batch?  I couldn't find any details.

Tybo said:
Im gonna have to check into one of these.  Question:  Why does the oil need to be filtered and changed with each batch?  I couldn't find any details.

The oil needs to be changed and filtered as it gets slightly contaminated from the a very small amount of moisture that gets drawn into the pump and also there are times when minute particles may be drawn into the pump oil. Also different vacuum pump oils will give different results in corrosion resistance. I tried three brands before settling on the one I currently use. When a batch is done I usually let the pump sit about 15 to 30 minutes and then drain it, I then leave that oil sit for quite some time to let the water, etc settle out in it and then run it through a coffee filter. I have a couple of gallons of oil that I rotate through and it takes about a quart each fill.

Back