• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sky's 2010 season.

Maybe too early, who knows, but I wanted to have a go at repotting some of my seedlings.
All have a set of true leaves.
I can see why the beer is needed. Took longer than I thought.
On the plus side, pulling apart two seedlings that both grew in a small cup filled with coco coir is easy as hell. Bonus.

Overall view of the five plants I repotted.

Red Savina #1

Red Savina #2

7 Pot Jonah.

There was another Jonah and a chocolate hab, but the pics were fuzzy and I just got done shovelling more f'ing snow (had to clear my back porch again for the dog, and the stair and two poop/pee areas for the dog, dug a path out down the walkway in my yard and out to the alley, some time in the future the trash will be picked up, wanna be ready) and I don't feel like going back inside Frankengrow to take more.

Overall I'm still more than satisfied with my results so far. Few holdovers still, but there are plenty of healthy seedlings going with a few varieties I'm still waiting on.

Skydiver said:
Maybe too early, who knows, but I wanted to have a go at repotting some of my seedlings.

Nice progress. I'll begin the plant shuffle soon myself.

I got one question you may be able to answer. When you guys pot up to larger containers/cups why do you leave so much empty space in the cups?

Can't speak for others, these are just for personal testing. Depending on how they do I'm going to adjust when I repot based on the size of the seedling and when I do I'm going to fill the cups more before repotting.

18FEB10

Finally seeing some green starting to poke through the soil of my bhuts from last year.
Not enough to take pics of, but enough to tell me that they're viable. I wouldn't have noted this except that I've sent some of these seeds out in trades and I like to know that I'm sending good stuff.

I think that after this season I'm going to randomly select some seeds from all peppers I grow and germinate them just to satisfy myself that they're good stock. It'll suck having to ditch them when I'm sure that they'll grow, but I guess it's a sensible sacrifice I should have taken last year.

Edit for:
Started some more stuff to see how they go:

2x Naga Morich
1x Devil's Tongue Red
Both started in seed starting soil. I don't like that stuff anymore but I'm willing to give it a go. I'm hooked on coco coir until the next big thing comes along.

Silver_Surfer said:
I got one question you may be able to answer. When you guys pot up to larger containers/cups why do you leave so much empty space in the cups?

SS, I did it too, and it was beneficial when I had a few that got leggy. I filled in around the leggy ones and they look alot better. I am sure you already know, but if you plant a pepper deeper/fill in around the stem, it will grow roots out the stem.

I'd do the same if starting in such a big cup so there isn't quite as much soil to have go through desired wet and dry cycles effectively(proper moisture balance), and its easier to add soil to leggy seedlings as already stated

Played predator today. 8 cups that didn't germinate were culled from the herd and the coco tossed on the compost pile.
Started some new stuff.

Trinidad Scorpion. I know, I swore I wouldn't grow one from seed this year, wasn't all that impressed with the flavor, but I have plans for them.
Red Devil's Tongue. This is going to be cross bred with something. I love the size of the pods and the number of pods per plant, but as Neil said, they're a bit lacking in flavor. I'm going to cross these with something. Maybe a bhut to see if I can keep the size and number of pods but bump up the flavor. Maybe a chocolate hab. Chocolate Devil's Tongue sounds like it could be interesting if I can pull it off.
Datil. Two sources.
Aji Lemon.
Scotch Bonnet~Chocolate.

I also started 4 cups worth of roma tomatoes. I loved the flavor they imparted to my salsa, even from a can. Fresh has got to be better.
True Lavender for the Momster.

The remaining earlier starts, still progressing well.

Repots are doing well for the most part. Front middle is a 7 Pot Jonah that's a bit on the yellow side. The Black Pearl back row far left is doing very well. Looking forward to seeing that plant as a beautiful adult.

The culled.

trinicoolieboy said:
congrats sky on the success you've had with all the varieties........ glad to see u got 2 of the B7P's to germ.....

yeah, mate. They're looking good and I can't wait to munch on one, thanks again for the seed stock.

Repotting more. Frankengrow is gonna be too small. Time to hit the drawing board again and redesign it to fit all the stuff that's going.
Holy crap I only have a few dozen total plants, I have no idea how you guys can keep up with hundreds or thousands of seedlings.

28FEB Update

All is going well, better than expected. The Momster is even impressed.

Overall still doing well, some problems with green yucky, but I'm going to use AJ's cornmeal trick to take care of it.

Really need to stop procrastinating and make Frankengrow bigger.
Ran out of room for the heating mat I'm using, but with a bit of duct tape I sealed up things nicely and managed to increase the temperature to 81F.

First ever Naga Morich for me!
Stray dog hair on my already hairy manzano on the left. I love my dog dearly but sometimes I think that the hair she sheds has gained not only sentience but locomotion.

A few Roma tomato seedlings showing their lovely little heads. We've always bought our tomato plants from nurseries, this year we're thinking of trying a few beefsteak seeds since things are going so well.

Glad to see you got a naga up. I hope it grows great for you. I got a red devils tongue up in about 4 days from what you sent me.

I hope you have a great year.
jacob

Yeah, mate, it's a neat plant. The one had triple cotyledons and the first true leaves seemed to repeat the pattern. I'm naming it the Rama plant. Bonus points if you get the reference.
I'll see about getting some individual pics today.

My 3 cot primo plant did the same thing. The second set of leaves are a pair though and so is the third set that is starting to form.

jacob

Good looking plants! That Black Pearl looks awesome.

I had a plant that came up with a single cotelydon, and there was just one first true leaf. After that, they came up normally.

Back