• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sky's 2010 season.

Skydiver said:
I would hate to be in that situation. I absolutely love crows. I want one as a pet pretty bad.

You'd be in crow heaven here then, they're as thick as flies. :lol:

If you split their tongue they can be trained to talk.

Silver_Surfer said:
If you split their tongue they can be trained to talk.

They'll never talk as good as parrots, but I've never heard that it would be necessary to split their tounge. (I suspect there might be some language thing causing me to missunderstand here... ;) )

stumpy4117869.jpg

Here's what's left of my Tequila Sunrise. There were two wee little bumps on the stem that may be leaf buds, so I decided to put it in a solo cup and hope for the best.

repottedtrinidadscorpio.jpg

Last year's Trinidad Scorpion started looking a bit wonky, so I repotted it into some pro mix. Glad I did, the soil in it was a sloppy wet mess. Hopefully it'll rebound.

blackpearltop4056981.jpg

Doves also snipped off the top of my Black Pearl but didn't abscond with it, so I hit the stem with some rooting hormone and sank it into one of my Coleus cups to see if it'll take. I'll sacrifice the flower if need be, I have more growing.

damnthecold4081902.jpg

Low temps for tonight were originally in the low thirties, then they modified it up to around the mid 40s, but now it's back down to low thirties with a chance of frost, so I have my buckets ready to cover the six plants I put in the ground.

Well, the bucket brigade made it through the cold nights with no damage, and now that the 10 day forecasts are looking better, I'm hopeful that I can get more stuff in the ground soon.

Two new additions to the in-ground stuff:

spareredsavinaexperimen.jpg

This is a spare Red Savina I had. It was started in my Aerogarden, and a bit smaller than the other one I'm going to put in the ground, so I decided to have a bit of sport with it.
I was out scavenging bricks from around here a bit ago (recycling, going green, call it what you will, I call them free bricks) when I found a three foot tall clay pipe. It's around four inches in inner diameter, so I sunk it into the ground, filled it with dirt and some compost, and planted the pepper atop it.
Not sure if it will do any good or not, but that's a pretty long column of soil for it to sink a deep taproot down. If this turns out well, I may start working on getting more and doing a vertical stagger garden next year. Who knows, it's spare stuff laying around I couldn't see going to waste, so there you have it.

manzanorow1459420.jpg

My raised bed garden in the front. I'm going to put some rose bushes in the back, in the middle there I've just started Manzano Row. Three yellow/orange manzanos.
Plenty of room in front of them, so I'm thinking chocolate habs or something, dunno yet, will see what's looking good in my larger pots and go from there.

Yep, there's always someplace that's getting torn down or some place by the railroad that's too lazy to dispose of their stuff, so they dump it somewhere.
Got a nice haul of bricks from a house being torn down. Figured I'd ask the dude in the backhoe what they were doing with all the bricks, turns out they just bury them where the house was.
Told me I could take as many as I wanted when he was on lunch break.
Def. need to find more clay pipes, though. Even if I can't get peppers growing in there, they'd prolly make great flower pots.

Potting down?

Since I've never worked with peat pucks before, my results were less than spectacular. I don't think I wet them enough before planting in them, so they were pretty compact.

So I just pulled my two douglah seedlings, a naga morich, and a Texas Chiltepin out of the old stuff they were in (regular potting soil), the f'ing peat puck was still a bit of a lump in there, no wonder the roots couldn't grow, and got to work.

Mixed up some pro mix bx, gently took the seedlings out of their old homes (solo drinking cups), dunked the roots in water gently until nearly all of the peat lump washed away, and repotted them into small bathroom cups very loosely, just enough compaction to keep the plant upright.
Gave them a nice drink of water and put them back under the grow light instead of being near sunshine.
Pretty much doing a reset on them back to what worked for me at the start of the year.
I had terrible luck germinating those three varieties or else I wouldn't have taken the trouble.
The two douglahs and the one texas chiltepin are the only ones I have, the Naga I do have a larger plant, but with only two of them I thought it worth the effort.

Now, after that long winded intro, I ask you. Has anyone ever done this before? Repotted down a plant that was smaller/weaker and had any good results?

Skydiver said:
Since I've never worked with peat pucks before, my results were less than spectacular. I don't think I wet them enough before planting in them, so they were pretty compact.

So I just pulled my two douglah seedlings, a naga morich, and a Texas Chiltepin out of the old stuff they were in (regular potting soil), the f'ing peat puck was still a bit of a lump in there, no wonder the roots couldn't grow, and got to work.

Mixed up some pro mix bx, gently took the seedlings out of their old homes (solo drinking cups), dunked the roots in water gently until nearly all of the peat lump washed away, and repotted them into small bathroom cups very loosely, just enough compaction to keep the plant upright.
Gave them a nice drink of water and put them back under the grow light instead of being near sunshine.
Pretty much doing a reset on them back to what worked for me at the start of the year.
I had terrible luck germinating those three varieties or else I wouldn't have taken the trouble.
The two douglahs and the one texas chiltepin are the only ones I have, the Naga I do have a larger plant, but with only two of them I thought it worth the effort.

Now, after that long winded intro, I ask you. Has anyone ever done this before? Repotted down a plant that was smaller/weaker and had any good results?

I ran into the same type of problem this year with the peat pellets, but I was only able to save 6 plants out of about 75 that I had started. I was working long hours and didn't pay alot of attention to them. The root system on all the ones I had to save were very compacted in one area under the stem and never spread out within the pellets.

I don't see any reason potting down won't work Diver. I think you would want to keep a good eye on them though, they may get a good root growth spurt since they're free to run now. You may be potting them back up very shortly. Good luck bro.

rds sorry to hear of the enormous loss you had. You have to be pretty diligent in the early stages of growth. If you run out of heat this year look me up. Be happy to share what ever I end up with.

Bit of an update

douglahdownpotted164266.jpg

My sole surviving Douglah, repotted down into one of the cups I started seeds in. In some nice loose pro mix, seems to be doing ok.

texaschiltepinrepotted1.jpg

Repotted my Texas Chiltepin into looser promix as well. Previously the leaves were curling toward the stem, almost like it was trying to wrap itself up in it's own leaves, now they're spreading more and growing.

tequilasunriseholdingou.jpg

The Tequila Sunrise that the doves mauled is making a nice comeback, two sets of leaves sprouting. Glad I didn't just chuck it on the compost pile.

blackpearltop1636892.jpg

The top of the Black Pearl that the doves snipped off but didn't carry off. Seems to be holding it's own, but it probably takes more attention than all my other plants. It's very sensitive to changes in the air. Little bit of sun and a breeze and you can almost watch it wilt before your eyes. I dont' water it, that seems to hurt it as well. No, this one I have to mist every few hours.

firstinground1647855.jpg

The first four I put in the ground are doing well. The two shortest ones, when I put the mulch on top of the soil, the bottom leaves were resting on the mulch, now they're off it and growing.

secondingroundpluspipep.jpg

Second two are doing well, so is my experimental pipe pepper. The one in the pipe is a pain in me bum to water, though.

manzanopepper11659004.jpg

The three manzanos in my front yard raised bed are doing well as usual, these plants seem to love the Pittsburgh weather so far. Dunno if it's similar to their native climate or what, but these are growing far better than everything else. Two of the three already have a nice fork in the stem.

manzanopepper11659004.jpg

The three manzanos in my front yard raised bed are doing well as usual, these plants seem to love the Pittsburgh weather so far. Dunno if it's similar to their native climate or what, but these are growing far better than everything else. Two of the three already have a nice fork in the stem.

Yeah dude,
Pubescens species like cooler climate which is probably why they are doing the best. looks good bro

I would think that your fake owl would work just fine. One thing I have heard is that unlike scarecrows, with the fake owls, you have to move them around the yard every couple of days to trick the other birds into think that your plastic owl is actually alive.

Plants are looking great, keep up the good work! And good luck fending off the predator birds too!

Well, the Black Pearl top that I tried to save is just barely holding on, but I'm happy that the Tequila Sunrise is showing definite new growth.
tequilasunrisenewleaves.jpg

Woot.

Some other stuff done today, some in ground, one in a bucket.

frontraisedbed5149933.jpg

Put two Chocolate Habaneros in my front bed, was gonna try and squeeze three in there but decided against it. More room this way for the peppers, and more space to put some flowers in.

redsavina5gallonbucket5.jpg

Red Savina transplanted into a 5 gallon bucket and put in a cage to keep birds out.

possibleguerillagardeni.jpg

This is a little out of the way area that gets almost zero traffic in a local park, I'm tossing around the idea of tossing a spare plant in the ground there. Don't know if the deer will munch it, but what the heck.

Grind some super hots fine in a blender with some water, pour it into a covered container and add a little dish soap, shake it up really good, strain it and spray your plant with it. A deer might taste it once. ;)

Glad to see some growth Diver, way to stick with it.

That's one hell of a stick to play fetch with your dog bro.

SS that's pretty much my anti bunny/squirrel mix you got there. I also add a couple of cut up pods to the water for that "fresh" taste for the critters. You ever see a squirrel try to put out a fire in it's mouth? Funny shit.

Sun scald is a bitch.
I didn't spend nearly enough time hardening off my plants and I'm paying the price, I'll get some pics tomorrow or something, but things haven't gotten much bigger except for the manzanos in front.
Not that a lot of stuff is dying or anything, but came close.
Curled leaved, tan appearance, papery, looked it up and it seems like classic sun scald.
I've moved things into shady spots and it seems to be working. Only a few days but not getting worse, some plants have nice new growth.

Such a dumb mistake, will deffo learn from this and do better next year.

Actually have three new things, a white bullet hab (put a few in coir/soil, couldn't wait till next year, wanted some this year lol), and a chocolate scotch bonnet and a big sun scotch bonnet. Had the choccy SB and BSSB already, but the seedlings died, and I figured wtf, if I'm gonna have a go at a white bullet, I'll have a go at those, too.

busy busy busy
home improvement stuff, garden stuff, blah blah blah, hardly a moment to scratch me own arse.
/bro hugs all 'round, peck on the cheek for the Sheilas

hey skydiver. I had some sun scolding of my own today. some of my plants seemed unaffected by it but today I put my first plants in the ground looking good and here's the result of the sun scold. Fortunately this was just a test plant (Bhut) that I have backups for and it will probably recover because the stem is pretty strong and the newer leaves seem unaffected but the leaves just took a beating. About an hour after this picture all the 'white' leaves were completely curled up. shows the importance of hardening off.

Don't give up though on your plants though. Sometimes a good beating doesn't look good, but the season is young and plants can handle more than we think....they're not the Pittsburgh Penguins! JK. Good luck man.

DSCF2664.jpg

Sky,

One problem I see with the pipe - 4" of space is gonna cause the temps inside to soar - probably into triple digits this summer. You may have a good tap root, but all the feeder ones are going to boil.

Good luck with it but be aware of pitfalls.

Mike
Who has fallen into too many pits to count!

I've kept my babies out of direct sunlight for a few days now, found them a new home between my house and the neighbors, seeing nice new growth that looks normal.
Tequila Sunrise is leafing up nicely after the dove attack.
Douglah is looking really good in a small cup of promix.

So so far this year, good start, pooch screwed afterwards, now turning a corner back towards normality again.
Roller coaster rides are fun, except when it's your plants on the line.

Douglah looking much better.

Texas Chiltepin also looking good.

New home for the peppers between houses.
If they all look like they're tilting, they are. More drainage holes added and tilted them to make sure that they dry out a bit, had a ton of rain lately and don't want to muck around with root rot or anything.

The burninated ones. Can't really see it but they're looking much better than they were. Nice healthy looking leaves finally showing up again.

Outside of my potted plants, the stuff in ground is doing well, too. One of the yellow/orange manzanos in my front raised bed is still far and away the best of all my plants, that guy is loving life. Lost a Yellow 7 Pot to birds, replaced it with a yellow jalapeno (a Jaloro it's called), added some tomatoes to my pepper beds after reading that they make great companion plants.

I stumbled, hard. I probably would have lost a lot more than I did if it weren't for this place. Found out what was wrong and how to fix it. Boo ya. You guys rock.

Back