• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Small harvest from the Rio Grande Valley

lots of superhots....7pot, barrackpore, brainstrain, and douglah...enjoy

2012-06-18201315.jpg

More superhots.............although this will be all for a while, summer heat is here

IMAG0221.jpg

and more fishing near the Rio

IMAG0220.jpg

Nice harvests man! Is the sun at this time is a harvest/yield killer every year? That's the opposite from my situation!

Is the sun at this time is a harvest/yield killer every year?

Yes.

Here on the Gulf Coast we have 2 growing seasons every year—an early or spring season, which begins in March and ends about now, in late June. After that comes a 3-month period of intense heat and drought, during which we simply try to keep our plants alive for the late or fall season, which lasts from late September to the first freeze, usually in November or December.

It's good and it's bad. We usually have some nice garden-fresh Jalapeños in May and June, or even some super hots, as you can see by armac's pix. And by the time the late season arrives, if we have cared well for our plants, they will be quite large and produce massive crops. The downside is the brutal 90 days or so of nursing our plants along in the infernal heat, the dropped blossoms a white carpet in the shade below. We drain ponds and vast lakes of freshwater to keep our babies alive, and maintain our sanity with rosy mental images of the big fall harvest that lies ahead...

Gary

That's a lot work every summer to keep every plant alive...the opposite of my situation, in bad summers my plants won't have enough sunlight. The sunlight is almost daily covered with a deck of clouds.

Do not let windchicken (Gary) fool you. He will be producing tons of pods all summer, how I cannot explain, but he does it.

He is just being nice to me, since my plants will stop producing for the summer.

WOW, those are some nice peppers and some nice bass. I used to do bass fishing when I lived in Cali as a kid(late 70's). Haven't been bass fishing since but I do go bay fishing every now and then...nothing like catching a decent sized redfish.

armac, I hear ya on this hot summer heat. I'm glad most of my plants that are in the ground are planted close to some mesquite trees so they do get lots of shade. I use a drip system for those so watering them isn't much of a problem as are the dumb grashoppers that eat my bhut's and red habs. They eat just enough to make a hole and ruin the whole peper so I have to pick them green sometimes. The native pequin strive in this heat with very little watering.

You got some great specimens growing and I hope your plants last a very long time. Not sure if it's true but I heard that the older the plant, the hotter the peppers they produce.

Back