• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Mac & Cheese - Bam Style

recipe amounts i used will be posted above each picture except the cheese sauce needed

cheese sauce
2 cups milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour

make a roux. be careful not to brown it, it will be done when it starts to smell like pie crust. add 1 cup cold milk and stir, frequently. slowly add the other cup and bring to a very slow boil, dont walk away from the stove.it will thicken

remove pan and add 1 cup cheese, stir in. when melted add the 2nd cup and stir. you may have to put back onto the heat.

in a medium cast iron frying pan, add 1 medium diced tomato and 1 medium vidalia onion
30961xy.jpg

add approx 1 cup of pulled pork or bacon works well here as well
euh4py.jpg

add a layer of cooked macaroni
2ynfjub.jpg

add a layer of cheddar cheese followed by some of the cheese sauce
2z80zrs.jpg

repeat layer again until it comes out looking something like this
30icl7n.jpg

i smoked this on a propane grill to show that you can cook it without a smoker
2m5mptz.jpg

nyw6si.jpg

2-3 hours later you end up with this
2n9mgqq.jpg

Awesome Bam! I was thinking awhile back of something along the lines of a Mac and Cheese Throwdown. My guess is you'd be in for that one oui? I bow down to you sir and that mac gets my highest Hot Blue and Righteous rating!! Too bad with the toms in it mrs. blues wouldn't touch it....but I'd eat it with numerous splooges of sriaracha sauce about........7 bowls worth!! That mac DEMANDS BEER!!

Cheers, TB.

Agreed, looks great.

IDK about the tomato bit personally, but smoked Mac 'n Cheese has got to rock. A Mac Throwdown would be fun...so many things you can do to it in so many ways. One of my faves is a white cheddar one with romano and bacon. Basically a Poor Man's Pasta Carbonara. :D

YUM!!!!! I'm with Quad on the tomatoes, but I'm really not a fan of cooked tomatoes in general unless they're pureed in a sauce. Other than that Bam, this looks fantabulous! I've been hoping you'd post pics of this since I saw it in the Smoker Sidedishes thread that Potawie started.

Bam FAIL, no spicy! LOL
Replace tomatoes with red habs, Bam WIN! LOL

thehotpepper.com said:
Bam FAIL, no spicy! LOL
Replace tomatoes with red habs, Bam WIN! LOL

6 year old eating too spicy - fail
bams dish "the moneyshot" habanero powder - WIN..lol

Looks really good Bam. and i'll be more than happy to eat it with the toms mate.....Stuff the rest of them....:lol:

I would add some fatalii powder to the top of it...mmmmmmm

I don't mind the tomatoes either, it actually gave me an idea. Make up a mess of fried green tomatoes, and line the cast iron skillet with them, then put the mac in and BBQ... fried green tomato crust!

Now I'm ready for a Mac N Cheese Throwdown, and nobody better steal that!

thehotpepper.com said:
I don't mind the tomatoes either, it actually gave me an idea. Make up a mess of fried green tomatoes, and line the cast iron skillet with them, then put the mac in and BBQ... fried green tomato crust!

Now I'm ready for a Mac N Cheese Throwdown, and nobody better steal that!

ok i am up for a mac & cheese throwdown... i have at least two more ideas that i will remain quiet about right now..lol

Sounds like this could be a good one for the first Friday in August.

We can't even get this mac stuff over here.....:lol:

It's like saying that we'll have a vegemite eating throwdown....

J/K

moyboy said:
We can't even get this mac stuff over here.....:lol:

It's like saying that we'll have a vegemite eating throwdown....

J/K
MOYBOY FAIL!
It's just elbow macaroni baked with cheese. AUS has that man! Or maybe you put it in the IDS so you can't see it.

that looks amazing! What a good way to use leftover pulled pork! I usually make pizza or quesadillas with it, but I'm going to try this next time, exactly as you have it listed.

Back