• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking peppers for sauces?

Hi all. I'm thinking of smoking some peppers to make some sauce with, but have never smoked peppers before so have some questions. What temp range would be best, and how long should I smoke them for? And also, is there anything special I'd need to do after, or can I just take them straight from the smoke and use them for the sauce straight away? Any help is appreciated.

I'd suggest 200 for 2 hours with smoke. First wash the peppers good, halve them length wise and deseed if you wish. I prefer the outside skin up and inside of the pepper face down when smoking. You can process them in sauce right after that. If you want more smoke, go for 4 hours at 175.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I'd suggest 200 for 2 hours with smoke. First wash the peppers good, halve them length wise and deseed if you wish. I prefer the outside skin up and inside of the pepper face down when smoking. You can process them in sauce right after that. If you want more smoke, go for 4 hours at 175.
Awesome. Thank you very much. And I'm assuming indirect heat would be best too? 

Back