• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SoCalChilehead 2012/2013 grow log

This will be my first grow list/grow log, so hopefully everybody enjoys. This November will be my first complete year of growing experience and it was entertaining and stressing at the same time. This season hopefully I can implement everything I have learned through various threads and have a great 2012 season
onfire.gif
. I will start everything from seeds and maybe keep three plants from my existing season. Well now to my list:
Red Trinidad Scorpion 1
Trinidad Scorpion Green 3
Trinidad Scorpion yellow 1
Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion (2 or 4 hopefully)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T 2
7 pot Chaguanas 2
7 pot Brainstrain red 1
7 pot Brainstrain yellow 1
7 pot Jonah 1
7 pot yellow 1
7 pot Burgundy 1
7 pot Brown 1
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia 1
Bhut Jolokia Peach 2
Bhut Jolokia Red 1
Bhut Jolokia yellow 1
Black Naga 1
Fatalii yellow 2
Peach Scorpanero 1
Large White Habanero 1
Congo Habanero 1
Sweet Habanero 1
Habanero Red Savina 1
Thai Dragon 1
Assam 1
Wasp 1
Large Hot Cherry 1
Giant Jalapeno 1
Wild Brazil 1
Holy Mole 1
Cayenne Thick 1
Broome Chile 1
Tobango Scotch Bonnet 1
Naga Morich 1
Zavory Nabanero 1
Aji Joe Mystery Hot Mix from Indian (1), Baccatum (1), Hot (1)

Thanks again to all the members for their help on the vast of information found on the THP forum and ability to build my grow list.

Nice update, Fernando. The new starts look great, my season hasn't even ended :lol:
Ya... what he said, except my season has definitely ended... :P We got our first hard frost last night and it wiped out everything but the Korean radishes. Nice looking shots of the two generations back to back Fernandol!

Wow Fernando, the garden's still looking great. Thought you might like a peak at how the pods you and Jamie sent me are doing:

908CC89B-AEFD-405D-8344-2A3F6563AF04-1755-0000025975E23930.jpg

I have my seed all set up in they're bottles and ready to go for a presoak and them into the dirt. Next week I'll be getting hot and heavy with it. This time though they're going in the ground and not into any used nursary pots. Some will be going into the root pouches I ordered, the ones I want to make sure I can take with me if we move this summer.

have a great week,
Bill

You have some great grow going on, buddy! I am really
jealous of the fact you only have to baby your plants through
the 3 or 4 weeks of cold weather, and can think about a new
start up already. It will be fun watching your new babies
develop while I'm staring at my seeds in baggies!

I have thoroughly enjoyed your glog this season. You were one
of the first members to dial into my grow log, and the first to send
me some seeds and some pods, and it is much appreciated. You
have some great growing techniques, and I can't wait to see how
you apply the lessons learned this year. Having the Sanctuary up
front will be a major improvement, for sure!

Good growin' to you, my friend!

Stefan thanks year now almost everything has sprouted minus the late starts.

Rick that is horrible news about the frost where you able to pick everything clean off the plants or where their still some hanging on. Thank you for the compliment I am think of trying to get atleast one more harvest before I cut them back , which should be about the same time I transplant the seedlings, plants in the 1 gallon container, trim everything that will be OW, and finally clean and sterlize everything for the new season.

Brent and Shane thanks I just get excited when I see new sprout popping

Bill that just looks awesome you are a master of sauces let me know if you need anything and hopefully you foot is feeling better.

Paul Thanks I was doing the same thing for about two days after my order from Judy and Dr.Peter packages got here I couldn't help myself and pass up on the weather we have been having. I am glad you enjoyed everything and learned a ton of new things that this season that I will incorporate for the new season.

Thanks again everyone

Quick thanks to Paul( http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27427-paulgs-glog-2012/page__st__1500#entry721517 ) for the awesome doorstep gift just amazing selection
DSCN1231.jpg

I wanted to do a quick update everything is starting to go full speed may have to move everything into party cups in two weeks, but I also have 12 varieties that I am waiting to sprout or might restart. Most of the babies are getting their true leaves while a couple are on their second set of true leaves.
DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1230.jpg

Say, Fernando, your new starts look great. Will you thin, or
separate the seedlings that are two to a starter?

Brent thanks for stopping by even though we already discussed this over pm in case anyone else wants to know it is a 8' x 10'

Paul thanks I will thin it out since I am only growing one of each probably next weekend one I get the party cups I will transfer them over.

Well the aphids have started again I am considering just trimming everything down cleaning everything up, but we will see.
Still waiting on one variety that I ordered, but the overwinters and late starts are not final can make changes if I need to.
Now for the list:
Overwinters
TS yellow
Brainstrain red & yellow
Cayenne Thick
7 pot Brown
Peach Bhut
Late Starts
TS Chocolate Scorpion (Jamie)
TS yellow x 7 pot yellow (Aji Joe)
7 pot Chaguanas (CMPMAN1974)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Mystery
Billy Bike Jalapeno
Seedlings
7 pot Congo SR Huge
7 pot Congo
7 pot Primo yellow
7 pot primo orange
7 pot primo
7 pot Jonah BB
7 pot Jonah yellow
7 pot White
7 pot Infinity
7 pot Madballz rusty
7 pot Savannah Long
7 pot primo x Butch T F3
7 pot Jonah x Butch T
Not 7 pot primo red
Bhut Jolokia Guhahati
Bhut jolokia Caramel
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Bhut Jolokia Improved 2
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate x 7 pod yellow F6
Bih Jolokia
Bih Jolokia Black
Bih Jolokia Caramel
Bombay Morich
Cheiro red
Douglah BB
Douglah red
Douglah red BB
Douglah yellow BB
Douglah x TS Brown F4 (Sepia Serpent)
Fatalii
Jalabanero F4
Jaloro F4
Monster Naga
Pequin
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Tobango Scotch Yellow
Tobango Treasure
Trinidad Douglah Quebec (Spikey)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga red
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga x Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Orange

That is it for my list hopefully

Dude, that's a crazy list! Some of those I've never heard of (Douglah Quebec?). Then the F3 Primo x Butch T. I didn't realize the Primo had been around that long.

Anyway, awesome grow. Looking forward to following it.

Okay, Fernando, I'll bet you don't even know how many there are!
Of course, since it's alphabetized, you probably do :lol:

Seriously, that is an impressive list, for sure. Some very interesting
varieties. The Sepia Serpent has the sickest looking pods I've seen!
I'm going to try to grow the Scotch Bonnett seeds you sent me earlier,
and the pubescens. Your Costeno Amarillo is still ripening up pods
even with cool rainy weather. In fact it seems to like it! What species is it?
The Giant Jalapeno very ;ate late start has a couple of flowers and is getting tall!

Nice looking starts Fernando! That's a pretty insane list, but I'm sure you can pull it off. Good luck with your grow... I'll be stopping by to get my chile fix while I wait for time to start here. Cheers!

Thanks Brent it one of those things that has turned a hobby into a passion searching for new varieties and growing them out what I enjoy more about these varieties is the exterior and the blending of varieties. I am not sure haven't read the story behind the primo I know Primo posted the storyline that I will read soon. Grant is an amazing grower I know there are pictures of it on here and the timeline from his previous growlogs.

Lol Paul I actually didn't know until I used the number point on here I think it was 44 I was actually able to get under 60 total plants for the season, which is amazing. Thank you the list is only made possible because of all the amazing growers I was able to acquire them from so hopefully I can only continue their amazing work. That awesome to hear I have some Scotch Bonnet Peach long and Tobango Scotch Bonnet reds seeds if you need any. Costeno Amarillo c. annumm I noticed the cold weather did not seem to impact them done here as much once january hit they were producing flowers and pods again similar to the Aji Lemon and Aji Crystal. It got to the point I had to cut them down because it was producing way more than the neighbors wanted or I needed. I really enjoyed the giant jalapenos this year they were hotter than our store bought jalapenos hopefully your able to get it to produce before your first frost.

Rick I am actually getting ready to make a jam just trying to make I get recipe together that I think I will like with guavas, since our tree seem continue to kick out fruit through the cold weather we have two types of guavas growing so I might try blending them together I don't yet once it ready I will let you know if your interested to try.

Well I finally got the packet of seeds I was waiting for the entry is Jay Peach Ghost Scorpion. I know I haven't showed the garden pics everything is doing ok dealing with whiteflys and aphids can be a hassle, but not a downer when I see my seedlings continue to progress. I am starting to pod up again hopefully get a harvest before the first weekend of December when I finally down clean up and trim everything up for the new season. The shots are of the good and ugly no holding back.
Aji Joe Mystery not loving the weather
DSCN1246.jpg

Pods:
TS yellow x 7 pod yellow
DSCN1240.jpg

Cayenne Thick
DSCN1241.jpg

Not 7 pod primo
DSCN1243.jpg

Whitefly aftermath most of the leaves
DSCN1255.jpg

Two Not 7 pod primo completely different reactions to the weather yellow leaves and dark green leaves
DSCN1250.jpg

Overall view
DSCN1258.jpg

DSCN1260.jpg

DSCN1257.jpg

DSCN1256.jpg

Hi Fernando
It looks like some of your mature plants are getting tired, but you've had a heckuva run this season. I love tropical fruit... especially Mangos and Guavas! I'm sure your jelly will be most excellent! Cheers

Looking great Fernando. Definitely some suckage going on there, too, but that's part of this gig, right? I'm sure your plants will get over it. We all get sick and don't die (usually). Once the whiteflies are gone and weather adaptation has occured, they'll probably perk right back up again. You've got one of the greenest thumbs I've seen on this board. If you can't pull them through, I doubt anyone else could, either.

I noticed the space heater in one of your shots. Do you just have the one for the 8x10 greenhouse, or more than one? I ask as I am considering one or two for my 6x8 when I get it.

Looking forward to your Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion growout. As we discussed, I saw seeds for those and did an impulse order. The pods look awesome.

Greenhouse is looking great Fernando. Do I see it right that you have it screened in and then you can cover it with heavy plastic in the winter or am I missing some windows or something? Either way it looks great and the plants seem to be loving it. Next week I'll be finishing off those sauces.

have a great week.

Thanks Rick yea I am not to worried anymore the starts have been keeping me excited for the most part. We also have a Mango tree this year was the first year we had a decent harvest on a daily bases the past years they would split open before ripening.

My first I stressed over the whiteflies I just live with it now. I am actually going to hit them with some tea the first time in like month I think that is another reason why they look the way they do just trying to make sure they absorb all the nutrients left in the soil before I try to reuse it for the seedlings and 25% of it for the final pot up on everything. Thanks man I wish I could be at the level of some these awesome growers, but atleast I had a great year for me personally. Ahh the space heater is mostly to keep the seedlings warm through the night especially with last night heavy wind they survived, which was awesome and help strength their stems. One should be fine for an enclosed area especially if you got similar to the one you see in the picture which get high enough to warm a room up fast. You might need a gauge not sure what they called it turns off the heat once the room get to a certain temperature otherwise you risk the chance of turning the greenhouse into a suna I don't own one yet because I have not completely enclosed the greenhouse it is on the list for the HD supplies. I started them two days ago and sitting near the heater, so hopefully by the weekend I will see some movement from it. Thanks again

Bill that is right I used screen and going to use tarps for the sides and 6 mm polyethylene for the top for the winter. I decided this method due to our summers getting to high it would suffocate my plants, it also protect from the impact of wind, we noticed with this material when it rains it drips down the screen reducing the chance of drowning my plants during an unsuspected rainfall, it has reduce the amount of pest I have dealt with this season but most of pest I think are the result of me going back and forth or leaving the door open at times, and most importantly it makes it easier to turn into a full on greenhouse that will stay warm without a hassle some screw hooks and blue LED christmas lights intertwine. I think before january I will add a magnet screen for the entry and I think I will find more improvements that I will make done the road. My father wants to setup some speakers and 32" screen TV I think they are waiting to take it over lol. Yea big improvement from last year I am going to buy another greenhouse probably later in the year because the plants really didn't love be crowded which I think impact the season that could have been. That awesome to hear if you need anything just let me know

I still see blooms and baby pods along with some harvest ready ones!!! You should be stackin them up with that greenhouse setup this winter!

Thanks Shane

Mini update
It has been 2 weeeks since I have showen the seedlings but here they are. I did restart a few that did not germinate for me and I added a new variety. The Jaloro seems to be taking the lead on everyone in the tray, but once I hit december I should have my list finalize.
DSCN1261.jpg

Back