• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

The reason my temp target was what it was is because bird doesn't benefit from low and slow as a beef brisket does from my understanding. You want to more or less smoke roast the bird which is what I was going for. Besides being on the over cooked side, it was delicious. Kissed with smoke not too much, but not so little you can't tell it is there.

HA! The knowledge goes as follows: Place product in smoker. Get yourself out of commision. Lose all inhibitions. Screw all tasks. Someone else finishes off product in the oven.... lol not that it wasn't some fine azz porkness, my friend. It was.

but my bird was wonderful damn it! I'm actually eating leftovers now. And will be for years to come...

I got people comin to visit this weekend, I think it'll be a perfect time to practice a little smokin on them. Maybe some ribs

Well it happened. Oh snap. REEIBS. Smoked and glorious. This was my second attempt at ribs ever and I'd say they came out freakin GRRREAT. Tony the Tiger would agree...

The picture quality is shit. But thats ok. One day I'll be less drunk and remember to take better pics. One day.
ribplate.jpg

ribrack.jpg

I'm a fan of the pull back myself. They were fall off the bone goodness, but I do know to some this means over done. Next time i'll try ta shoot for a tad less cooking time and see if that keeps em more moist.

I'm new to the whole traditional bbq deal, so I'm learning, but ribs are definitely my favorite thing so far, and want to try the different styles and stuff...

However, my next go at it I believe will be beef brisket fo sho. And moinks. I want me some moinks.

Although the 321 method is preferred by some for spares I find that a 3-1-1 works better for me. They dont get as "mushy" or fall apart so much. Did you remember to remove the membrane? I dont see how they could lose that much moisture when they are braised for 2 hrs. Once the calogen is melted they will pull a bit. And those are bones from an older oinker. All looks good - what did you use for a rub?

Although the 321 method is preferred by some for spares I find that a 3-1-1 works better for me. They dont get as "mushy" or fall apart so much. Did you remember to remove the membrane? I dont see how they could lose that much moisture when they are braised for 2 hrs. Once the calogen is melted they will pull a bit. And those are bones from an older oinker. All looks good - what did you use for a rub?

The rub was just one I threw together using dark brown sugar, salt, ghost pepper salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, onion, and garlic powder.

i could eat a couple plates of them. looking good.

Yo, we need a cook out soon

Next you should try and do a Butt!
Nuttin like some nice pulled pork smoked to perfection with a side/topping of slaw.
Do your basic rub like you have listed just above but add in some chili powder rub the butt down with mustard to hold the dry rub and let set overnight before smoking. Once it hits about 165 internal wrap in foil and continue to approx 200 degree's, Remove and rest in a cooler (without the barley pop) for about 90 minutes.
This is making me so hungry, I planned to do one this weekend but forgot to remove from freezer :banghead:

Here's a little info http://www.crankybuz...Workbook001.pdf

I did do a pork butt once I think it was this passed 4th of july, but It was on a cheapo grill and I didn't know what I was doing. It came out pretty decent, but it would definitely be worth another shot now that I have a little bit better grasp on it.

I have never made my own sauce before. On the ribs I just used Stubs. Next time I shall make my own as well.

I have never made my own sauce before. On the ribs I just used Stubs. Next time I shall make my own as well.

With a good pulled pork you don't need sauce. When cooked right it's juicy with a good bark, throw it on a cheap white bun. Slaw the top if you like.

Ribs, a dry rib is better. Good bark. Sauce is good after.

Making sauce is easy. Try it out. For your first try you may want to use ketchup as a base, with brown sugar, mustard, peppers, etc. Once you master, then start from scratch and mimic the ingredients of ketchup as the base, then tweak. BBQ sauce is really modified ketchup. Then there's mustard sauce, and vinegar-based etc.

i never use sauce on ribs! but for that pulled pork sandwhich you gots to have some wet for that bread!

With a good pulled pork you don't need sauce. When cooked right it's juicy with a good bark, throw it on a cheap white bun. Slaw the top if you like.

Ribs, a dry rib is better. Good bark. Sauce is good after.

Making sauce is easy. Try it out. For your first try you may want to use ketchup as a base, with brown sugar, mustard, peppers, etc. Once you master, then start from scratch and mimic the ingredients of ketchup as the base, then tweak. BBQ sauce is really modified ketchup. Then there's mustard sauce, and vinegar-based etc.

THP, thanks for the suggestion. Next go, whenever that be, I will be trying that.

we do need to cook out soon!

i make a good sauce i think? most people like it.

WErd to that brutha... That IS good sauce. So lets hurr it. How do you do?

i never use sauce on ribs! but for that pulled pork sandwhich you gots to have some wet for that bread!

I can agree a dab on top that soaks in to the bun is good. :)
But definitely let the meat speak for itself and don't mix it in sauce, or simmer it in sauce like sloppy joes etc!

Back