food Some food I cooked (JayT's Flog)

JayT said:
I am hoping to achieve some char and some bubbles.  I'll figure it out.
what was the fuel - lump, charcoal, wood, ? ...

how long was it (the stone) at 500F before the cook, and how thick is the stone? ...

my oven-pies inflate instantly like an air-mattress at only 420F, because 1/2" steel has the stored thermal energy for the whole cook after 45-60 mins pre-heating ...

*my* next goal is to better subdivide the large bubbles trapped in the dough by smacking it down and working it more before letting it sit for 10-20 mins before shaping it, in hopes of smaller bubbles ... for that mottled/leopard-spotted look ...

You could always rolling pin it to compress the gluten for that effect... some say a no-no but it's just a different type of crust.

I used a 3/4 stone on top of the convection stone thing that is about 2in.  I probably didn't let it preheat long enough because it took so long to get to temp and the boys had to go to bed.  Pretty sure it was all because I tried to cook it with leftover coals mix of lump and briquettes and a dose of lump on top.  I am sure if I start fresh with a chimney starter full of lump and more on top it will get hot enough.

There are many blasphemous practices that make the purists shudder but there's also trying different things, which Grant does... and I know of a style of thin crust made with a rolling pin that holds heavy toppings and tastes great.

Jay -I am far from an expert but I would point you in the direction of learning the difference between grate and dome temp. I know many eggheads end up getting their pizza stones higher up closer to the dome rather than down where the grate normally sits. Heat rises and the radiant heat from the preheated ceramic dome couldn't hurt. 

tctenten said:
pizzamaking.com is a pretty good tool to use.  That is where I found the recipe that I settled on.   The only comment I will make about that calculator is that it doesn't factor in cooking temps.  A dough that performs well at 500f, may not perform well at 800f+

It's never-ending though, right - because the ratios might be the same for 500F and 800F, but you have to change brands of flour ...

There's a definite pay-off in terms of recipe integrity if you pick a recipe to draw inspiration from, AND buy the same brand stated ...

Baking is hard ... let's go shopping!

grantmichaels said:

It's never-ending though, right - because the ratios might be the same for 500F and 800F, but you have to change brands of flour ...

There's a definite pay-off in terms of recipe integrity if you pick a recipe to draw inspiration from, AND buy the same brand stated ...

Baking is hard ... let's go shopping!

Yes, everything that I read points towards the type of flour and hydration % when cooking at high heat.  I am pretty sure that Pic1 posted his dough recipes that he uses for the BGE in one of the pizza TD's.   We have all seen the results he gets.   

20160421_165043.jpg

Good night for a cook on the BGE. Pookie when do I get my massage?

Nice flogging.

Ah damn bed time? No massage today, will have to be another time.

Back