• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Some pics of my plants!

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas and new years!

Just thought I would post an update of how my season is going. After a cold spring and start to summer, things are finally heating up. Due to the cold weather my plants are nowhere as big as his time last year. After pinching back buds and flowers for several months to try and promote larger plant growth I have decided to just let them flower as I only have 2 or 3 months of summer left.
Anyways, here are some pics:

The majority of this years chili plants. They are on a pallet that I attached wheels to so that I can chase the sun around the yard and move the plants into the garage if the weather turns bad without moving every plant individually.
M01A1058.jpg

Bhut Jolokia, started flowering this week!
M01A1050.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
M01A1053.jpg

Rocoto, seems to have enjoyed the cooler conditions more than other plants!
M01A1054.jpg

Super Chili, this plant is going nuts.
M01A1056.jpg

White Hab
M01A1061.jpg

Red Hab
M01A1062.jpg

Bhut, Red Hab and 2x Orange Hab. My Chinense plants haven't done too well this year
M01A1069.jpg

MizNitch said:
I'm new here, sooooo is it necessary to stake pepper plants? Thanks.

It depends on the variety, but I stake all my plants. As the season progresses and the plants grow larger, they become more susceptible to being blown over in a storm. At least that has been my experience.

MizNitch said:
I'm new here, sooooo is it necessary to stake pepper plants? Thanks.

I'm not sure if it is necessary, but it gets pretty windy where I live, even during summer. It can get windy enough to do some damage even with the plants staked. I could just take them out of the wind but I wouldn't them to miss out on any of the sun/warmth which often accompanies the wind! I guess it is a personal preference at the end of the day, and I get a bit of peace of mind knowing that I can leave them in the wind without them getting flattened.

Nice plants TT! I grew the super chili last year. It was an impressive producer considering the overall size of it. I didn't have the best year, but was able to harvest close to 250-300 pods off of it. I got 150 in one harvest (year end) alone. I'm thinking about growing it again this year because it has heat comparable to a cayenne, but is a much smaller plant.

Blister said:
Nice plants TT! I grew the super chili last year. It was an impressive producer considering the overall size of it. I didn't have the best year, but was able to harvest close to 250-300 pods off of it. I got 150 in one harvest (year end) alone. I'm thinking about growing it again this year because it has heat comparable to a cayenne, but is a much smaller plant.

You are right about them being impressive producers! Impressive heat too (although not extreme). I know that if none of my other plants produce much, at least the super chili will provide me with enough chili to make a decent amount of hot sauce!

I am so jealous about how good your plants are looking. As for staking them, I made the mistake of not staking them a while back and they all got damaged in a wind storm, now I stake them all. It can never hurt.

I sure can't wait to start my seeds. This time of year is always hard, the waiting, the empty grow room and the snow on the ground...

Id get that Rocotto in the ground mate!

You will need about 8 long stakes to hold up the branches. Mine grew to about 7 feet tall and ended up about 1.5 meters across.

The Rocotto chilli will be geavy like a small apple so you need to have each long branch individually staked to hold the weight. I just got fresh Red Rocotto seeds for next year! They are awsome plants

cheers

Another stake question - Do you put the stake in when trying to germinate the seeds or do you wait until the plant gets a certain size?

Wait to stake the plant until it is in it's final home whether that is in the ground or a container. Best to put it in when transplanting to avoid damaging roots, but it can be done later.

jacob

Nice plants tom thanx for sharing hope all grow great for ya. i like the wheels on th epallet idea too!
oh yeah how'd the bud pinching go do you think it helped alot with vegetative growth?

tony05 said:
Id get that Rocotto in the ground mate!

You will need about 8 long stakes to hold up the branches. Mine grew to about 7 feet tall and ended up about 1.5 meters across.

The Rocotto chilli will be geavy like a small apple so you need to have each long branch individually staked to hold the weight. I just got fresh Red Rocotto seeds for next year! They are awsome plants

cheers

Cheers for the advice mate. I don't have anywhere adequate to plant it in the ground, but I do have a 40L grow bag to put it in, do you recon that will be enough soil for it? it is currently in an 18L bag. Thanks for the advice on staking too!

Back