• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Something to think about

I thought I would pass this along to the wonderful people on this site. If you have any other sites that you frequent I would sincerely appreciate it if you would pass it on. Just trying to make folks aware that motorcycle riders are out there and they're human beings just like the rest of us. Thank you.

I saw you; hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line. But you didn't see me put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.
I saw you pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk. But you didn't see me playing Santa at the local Mall.
I saw you change your mind about going into the restaurant when you saw my bike parked out front. But you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.
I saw you roll up your window and shake your head when I rode by. But you didn't see me riding behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.
I saw you frown at me when I smiled at your children. But you didn't see me when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.
I saw you stare at my long hair. But you didn't see me and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.
I saw you roll your eyes at our Leather jackets and gloves. But you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old ones to those that had none.
I saw you look in fright at my tattoos. But you didn't see me cry as my children where born or have their name written over and in my heart.
I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere. But you didn't see me going home to be with my family.
I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be. But you didn't see me when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.
I saw you yelling at your kids in the car. But you didn't see me pat my child's hands knowing she was safe behind me.
I saw you reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road. But you didn't see me squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to
take the next turn.
I saw you race down the road in the rain. But you didn't see me get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.
I saw you run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time. But you didn't see me trying to turn right.
I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But you didn't see me leave the road.
I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass. But you didn't see me. I wasn't there.
I saw you go home to your family. But you didn't see me. Because I died that day you cut me off.
I was just a biker. A person with friends and a family. But you didn't see me.

Repost this around in hopes that people will understand the biker community..
I hope you never lose someone that rides.

EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE US, RESPECT OUR RIGHTS TO RIDE WHAT WE CHOOSE AND TAKE A FEW EXTRA SECONDS TO BE SURE WE ARE NOT IN 'YOUR' WAY

Author Unknown

Take care and be safe.

I've read this before Patrick and its pretty deep man. I'm always safe on my Harley but the other people on the road is what scares me.

Saw something very similar for tattoos.

Can't agree more with the sentiment. When I was a kid it was "skateboarding is not a crime" stikers.

People tend to be extremely judgmental. It's unfortunate. I have many friend's who ride & without exception they're some of the kindest, most generous people you'll ever meet. Likewise with tattoos, and skateboarders - good parents, charitable people, positive outlook & believe in an "each to their own" philosophy.

It'd sure be nice if as a society we could get past appearance and judge people on their merits.

so what if someone has blue hair, or a mowhawk, or piercing a or tats or rides a motorcycle? You cannot possibly know anything about them from appearance alone.

Good write-up.

This is why I wear a big green mohawk on my helmet. It may make me look a little more questionable but it sure as heck makes people look!

when i rode on the street, the thing that made it not enjoyable was that i was spending more time trying to figure out what car was going to cut me off rather than enjoying the ride itself. i have had my share of close calls, and i love how the fingers always get pointed toward the biker even though the car driver was the one not paying attention. anywhoo, keep rthe shiny side up guys!, and if you ride sportbikes get out to the track and experience just how amazing you bike really can perform

Great comments guys. It definitely pays to be paranoid on a bike when you're in traffic. I prefer riding the two lane highways through the middle of nowhere. Plenty of it here in Nebraska and neighboring Iowa. Did a 400 mile round trip one day and never went through a town with more than 10,000 people. Heaven. I freaking love the bright green mohawk idea, might have to look into something like that.

Ride safe

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/934/24961/ITEM/Hairy-Rs-Helmet-Mohawk.aspx

This is the one I have in the neon green. I actually would have preferred a blue or red but I figgered green is a little more noticeable. You wouldn't believe the looks I get riding down the road. Chicks dig it, little kids look at me and give me thumbs up, and grandma's think I'm gonna steal their purses but at least they are looking! It's just suction cups too so it goes on and comes off easily with no affect on helmet, and I've had it up to 140 without it comin loose(I don't ride that fast normally I promise!)

The reason I quit riding the street after my accident was this very reason.
People are stupid and are the worse drivers I have ever seen in this area so I will take the airbags and seat belts over an Icon jacket, gauntlet gloves and a full face helmet that only somewhat protect you. ;)
Add to that the fact that a lot of idiots text while driving and riding a motorcycle on the street has become a much more dangerous thing.
If I get another bike I will stick to dirt bikes where texting idiots are not around in 3,000 lb weapons.

That's very cool Badger. I think I like the hot pink one though. I wish it was about 10 inches taller though.

CarvinG I hear you about the texting. I see at least one every day I'm out. I used to just look at them and wave a finger. All that got was a sheepish grin from them. Now if I get the chance I tell them to knock it off before they kill someone. Being 6'4" and in the neighborhood of 290lbs I haven't gotten any lip yet.

I love it when I see people talking on their phone while driving! I just shift down a few gears and let my exhaust drown them out until they hang up.
They actually recently made texting while driving illegal here in idaho.

My son's Harley is sitting in my garage right now. Waiting out the cold weather for a warm day. He lives 13 miles away, knows the bike is safe here.

Back