• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

Which model?  It is tax time and It is sous vide time at Bumpers place.  Too many nice dishes passing by here not to throw in for one. 

To my knowledge there's but one ...

I really like these. And i think the liquid at the bottom is actually from the coconut milk, the water/cream separation etc.
20150727_112221.jpg

good consistency, like pillowy pudding

20150727_112238.jpg

The salt is gives ground beef a sausage-like texture, less issue for steak imho ...

I salted my meat for the first four years and loved sous vide, and it's really easy to do side-by-side's in any cook w/ each bag being it's own braise environment ...

Alrighty then ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054467.652901.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054478.134532.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054489.951472.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054503.602314.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054513.353482.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054523.170297.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054533.173197.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054541.987789.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054550.505210.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054570.006249.jpg

The defrosted duck cooked SV/Sz worked better than Frozen-Torched/Sliced-Fat/SV because the jus remained in the breast the former way. I decided to sacrifice the fat to have a sauce made w/ bag juices and couldn't have both ...

I'll be making mine the former way next time, back to using the Searzall, as usual ...

CHEERS!

GM...first off.....

Screw you man!

2 weekends in a row I went looking for duck breast.

Even Whole Foods was out.

Screw you times 2!

I'm all up in your duck ...

I've got three more shots at it ...

The beer added a nice little twang to the sauce tonight, but the French's (I usually only use to adhere S&P to Q) sucked compared to the Dijon ...

CHEERS!

CHEERS!

I want duck now...

NOW dammit!  I haven't had duck fer ages. 

The stoopid FedEx courier missed me today and i still don't have my Anova.  Tomorrow!  I'm taking the day off to make sure I get the f'n thing.  I have jerk pork belly vac bagged and I'm dry ageing a bone in scotch fillet.  Trying the sear first and then sous vide then light freeze and deep fry.

Dunno about time and temp for the pork belly yet.  Gonna have to do some research.

I want duck now...

NOW dammit!  I haven't had duck fer ages. 

The stoopid FedEx courier missed me today and i still don't have my Anova.  Tomorrow!  I'm taking the day off to make sure I get the f'n thing.  I have jerk pork belly vac bagged and I'm dry ageing a bone in scotch fillet.  Trying the sear first and then sous vide then light freeze and deep fry.

Dunno about time and temp for the pork belly yet.  Gonna have to do some research.

Oohhhh jerk pork belly - nice!

Just noticed something.  Dry aging the steak in the fridge and it was was starting to slowly shrink and dry nicely.  Then I added something to the fridge that could add an unwanted aroma to the steak.  So I vac packed it for 9 or so hours.  Under vauum it drew out blood and fluids and reversed the dry aging completely.

So what I was thinking is two things. 

1. No point marinating under continous vacuum because the negative pressure will always stop any flavours being absorbed.
  2. Dry age the steak then sear to create a barrier to moisture loss first.

Thoughts?

Just noticed something.  Dry aging the steak in the fridge and it was was starting to slowly shrink and dry nicely.  Then I added something to the fridge that could add an unwanted aroma to the steak.  So I vac packed it for 9 or so hours.  Under vauum it drew out blood and fluids and reversed the dry aging completely.

So what I was thinking is two things. 

• No point marinating under continous vacuum because the negative pressure will always stop any flavours being absorbed.
  • Dry age the steak then sear to create a barrier to moisture loss first.

Thoughts?

dry-age/sear/chill/SV is common ...

there are plenty who feel the maillard builds during the SV ...

i like the idea of a thin coat of Red Boat ... and need to test it (have not).

Back