• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

BigB said:
i've seen a method of scrambling an egg inside the shell then hard boiling it, wonder how that would work in a sous vide

Haha ... I have the little, Asian, spinner thing from Kickstarter a couple of years ago, but have never used it ...

Since eggs have become so topical, I'll have to try it, I guess ...

grantmichaels said:

Haha ... I have the little, Asian, spinner thing from Kickstarter a couple of years ago, but have never used it ...

Since eggs have become so topical, I'll have to try it, I guess ...

Yes, please.  And a link?

Jerked pork belly with mint peas and rice.

750g pork belly, 1/2 Tbs Walkerswood hot jerk paste.
Sous vide 68C for 18 hours.
Looks like it's still vac bagged here lol.  Added another 1/2 Tbs jerk paste before being finished on a very hot CI grill
P7312584_zpspdyqlgmr.jpg

Simply plated up

P7312588_zps8ujpbsaj.jpg

I don't really need a knife to cut, more for portion control and presentation.  Finger pull apart tender, juicy, concentrated flavours.  Best jerked anything I've had!  Next time finished over lump charcoal with smoke.  68C for 18 hours was just right.  Not mushy, still has some firmness and bite but soooo tender and juicy.

P7312590_zps54e0qml7.jpg

Damn that look good!

And it's jerk pork not jerked pork, that sounds dirty. :lol:

Deathtosnails -- it's great to have you here working with the sous vide setup.  It's clear that you're dedicated to producing some awesome results.

Tonight I decided to reheat a few things I had in the freezer from previous cooks.  I had a portion of 72 hour beef short ribs and a portion of octopus.  Unfortunately I had very little in the way of sides so I sauteed some onion, Big Jim and Sulu Adana peppers and also plated with some lacto fermented veg.  Tasty, but I really wish I had some toasted bread , some type of salad and a lemon.  After removing the proteins from the bag I hit each with the searzall. 

19535165084_4711c2795b_b.jpg

I'm just sitting back enjoying the thread ...

Nice job DTS, looks great and I haven't had ...

What's the octopus like bierz, I've never had it? ...

It's so wildly over-the-top in presentation, I almost have to try it ...

Nice looking plate bierz.  Do you remember the details for the cook with the octopus?  Seafood and sous vide is going to be an exciting discovery.  After I'm done with eggs and steak lol.  Might be years away...

And speaking of steak, this is tonight's dinner.

Started with a bone in scotch fillet
P7272546_zpsdt05obpw.jpg

4 days later after dry aging

P7302575_zpsm7pfzk5d.jpg

Stooopidly hot pan with oil to pre-sear just under a minute per side and the fat layer

P7302577_zpsa3qthsvb.jpg

Bagged and ready to go at 55C for 90 minutes tonight (6 hours away :) )  Any suggestions for sides?  I was thinking of doing a cream mushroom sauce? mebbe some taters?

P7302578_zpsja1tek4g.jpg

I had to google collards, so not much chance of that Chris lol!  We don't get them here, or if we do I have never seen them.

I brought some baby spinach, so green stuff is on tonights menu.  Gonna roll with potatoes anna, and a cream, ham and mushroom sauce.

I'll be programming into the late-night tonight for the 1st time in a few months, so at least I'll get a treat ... which is nice, because otherwise it just hurts so far tonight ...

The couch is looking at me longingly.

I'll have to see if I wrote down the details on the octopus.  It was good but not something I think I'll make often.  As far as seafood, I think halibut has been my favorite that I've made using sous vide.  I did shrimp "poached" in olive oil which were good, and a lobster tail that ended up a bit under cooked.  Still plenty of experimentation to go.

Here's the lobster tail:
sous+vide.jpg

And the octopus:
octo.jpg

Back