• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

stc3248 said:
Cool looking pods Charles...Bet that Morado/Douglah (maybe) looks MEAN!

Yeah, I'll try to remember to snap a pic next time I open one up.

Chiltepin Amarillo (Delaware), I think this is what it's supposed to look like, but it's still huge:

I love the pale pre-ripe color on these and the pods have a great wedge shape too.  I'd be curious if anyone else is growing something that looks like this:

Another wedge-shaped pod from the 2010 plant (not the same as the above pic):

Some pods on the TS Morouga Blend resemble the 7 Pot Brain Strain:

But overall, there is more pod variation per plant and are not as consistently shaped as the Brain Strain:

Nah brother...I would love to sample one, but I got pods coming out of my ears and I haven't even tasted them all yet. I'll just watch for your taste review to see what you have to say!

Looking great Charles!  Those pictures of the insides look mean - lots of oil in those.  I really like when the brain strains get bumpy and looking like molten lava.  It's a great visual affect for a very hot pepper.

Pulpiteer said:
Looking great Charles!  Those pictures of the insides look mean - lots of oil in those.  I really like when the brain strains get bumpy and looking like molten lava.  It's a great visual affect for a very hot pepper.

Yeah, the Brains are pretty neat... I don't know if it's just what I'm growing, but they really are more symmetrical and consistently shaped than the TSMB.

windchicken said:
Beautiful pods, as always, Charles...Also, your picture quality is striking!

Thanks you... not quite at the level of some of the photography around here, but I'm just trying to keep up the log, see where I was when I look back...

Spicegeist said:

Yeah, I'll try to remember to snap a pic next time I open one up.

Chiltepin Amarillo (Delaware), I think this is what it's supposed to look like, but it's still huge:

Exactly what it should look like and I agree they are huge. No idea how they became so big but each year it seems the pods gets bigger. 

Choco Bhut x Douglah F1:

These are quite hot.  Luckily they inherited more of the Bhut flavor rather than the Douglah.

Naga Suomi (Naga Morich from Finland), I use the name to help me keep the varieties straight.  There are a number of "Naga Morich" around that look very different from each other.

Compare with a photo of "Naga Morich" from fataliiphoto.net:

naga_morich_pods346.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2 color transition:

Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux (C. baccatum x C. praetermissum):

Cumari do Para (C. chinense) x unknown superhot F1:

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend:

Bhut/Naga type that has this great pale coloration before ripe:

CAP 501 (C. chacoense):

A very large Bhut x unknown, I'm guessing it was a Yellow 7 when I compare the fruit shape to the Y7s I grow:

That Choco Bhut-glah continues to look more horrible...I love it! That chunk of the Naga Suomi looks fantastic though...got me thinking of eating some pods today!!! Charles...the king of the mad scientist grow...the Dr. Frankenstein of the pepper world!

Jamison said:
Wow man! Soo many crosses and beautiful big pods you got goin! That Bhut x looks like a damn cucumber its so spikey. Really cool Charles!

Thanks Jamison, I can't wait to eat everything... so hard waiting for them to ripen!

stc3248 said:
That Choco Bhut-glah continues to look more horrible...I love it! That chunk of the Naga Suomi looks fantastic though...got me thinking of eating some pods today!!! Charles...the king of the mad scientist grow...the Dr. Frankenstein of the pepper world!

Haha, thanks for that!  The Naga Suomi is very nice, I thought it was a cross when I grew it, but it looks practically identical to the Naga Morich Fatalli.net is selling, it has to be not crossed... I'll grow it again in 2014 to confirm... by the way I crossed the Naga Suomi with the Choco Bhut x Douglah (of course) ;)

Back