• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

SWEET!...... some of the bhut crosses are HUGE.
I'm with Rodney.....a Petin x Serranno might be pretty tasty.
The Moruga cross is gorgeous.
I am always thankful for cold beer;)!

Pr0digal_son said:
Any info on the Indiana Pequin? Looks frutescen.

Nice looking pods.

Sure, here are some details: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/18522-mexican-bird-pepper/

standbyandfire said:
:clap: Pods and plants look great as always Spice! Great work you've done my friend.

Thank you, I mostly stay out of their way...

gnslngr said:
SWEET!...... some of the bhut crosses are HUGE.
I'm with Rodney.....a Petin x Serranno might be pretty tasty.
The Moruga cross is gorgeous.
I am always thankful for cold beer;)!

The pods are very tiny, I also have a Guatemalan Chiltepin that looks like it crossed with something else too.

The Morouga cross is ripening nicely, a very dark orange at this point, will probably go red any day now, it's a fast grower.
:cheers:
Pr0digal_son said:
Any info on the Indiana Pequin? Looks frutescen.

Nice looking pods.

I should add, It looked very similar (practically identical) to the Duke Pequin I was growing, but for whatever reason those didn't flower for me.

I have been growing the Morado from Chris p for quite a while and it looks nothing like that Charles. I think it crossed with something very hot. Mine are about the same heat as a choc hab but slightly higher . 

romy6 said:
 I have been growing the Morado from Chris p for quite a while and it looks nothing like that Charles. I think it crossed with something very hot. Mine are about the same heat as a choc hab but slightly higher . 

That's what I thought, thanks for your input.  I grew it last year and it was similar to a choco hab.  I wasn't going to grow it again and changed my mind last minute, I'm pretty sure this plant was grown from the only viable seed in a runt pod that hung on as I overwintered.  Some of the other pods on the plant look like a Douglah, and it matures brown, so that's what I'm thinking it crossed with.

I'm assuming this was going to turn red, but it's been this reddish-brown for a while, I couldn't resist, had to pick it and eat it.  It was the crunchiest pepper I've ever eaten, had a nice bite and very unique flavor, wow.  No viable seed, so I'm suspecting I'll have to overwinter this one and make clones.

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1:

Unripe Yellow 7 not taking prisoners:

I have two brown crosses this year, one intentional the other not, Morado x Douglah (probably) F1:

I'm very happy I recovered this wedge-shaped naga type I thought I'd lost.  I grew some seed from the original plant (2010) and got what I was hoping for:

Cumari do Para, nice small, hot and yellow:

Chiltepin Tarahumara:

TS Morouga Blend:

7 Pot Brain Strain, these tend to be more compact and symmetrical in comparison to the TS Morouga:

Back