• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

Looks like things are coming along well for you. You've got a lot of interesting stuff going on here - and they look great. I've got three sprouts now of your yellow 7 x fatalii F2's that have come up for me, so it looks like we'll get to see how they turn out this year. I'm curious. The pods you got from those last year looked awesome, so I'm excited.

That's great! Are you growing out all three? They should all look different since they're F2... maybe some a little more Fatalii-ish others a little more Y7-ish...

I'll grow out two of them, and then give one out in a pepper plant draft that I'll have with some folks from church. So I should be able to see how all three do. They took a little longer to germinate, then all popped up within like 5 days of each other.

If my memory serves me correctly this one is showing more of the chinense side right? Charles have you had any luck trying to cross a scorpion with the sonoran or you haven't tried yet with those two...

Thanks guys. The plant has traits from both parents, for instance the leaves are basically chiltepin shaped, but are larger and also take on a slight heart shape which is more like a chinense.

I was imagining a pepper somewhere in between the barrackpore and the chiltepin. I generally tend to base my crossing on intuition more than a clear idea of what I want to end up with... this is more fun for me, plus I don't have to worry about having my heart broken by peppers that don't live up to expectations ;) The parents were two of my favorite varieties from my 2012 grow... who knows maybe this cross will be one of my favs for 2013.

Wow, I like the bird crosses. Inspired! And the plants are really pretty.

Your Bonda x Yellow 7 crosses are growing fast now, and looking real nice. I think they are going to be some big, robust plants. Pix soon.

It is quite beautiful! I have been thinking that I have always wanted the Sonoran chiltepin, or the Tarahumara that I read about in Jean Andrews book and later Dave Dewit. The Native seeds web site has them both also with the Amarillo. I may get some seeds but try and force myself not to grow them until next year. That will never happen will it?

Excellant as always Charles!
Later

Wow, I like the bird crosses. Inspired! And the plants are really pretty.

Your Bonda x Yellow 7 crosses are growing fast now, and looking real nice. I think they are going to be some big, robust plants. Pix soon.

Oh great, can't wait to see...

It is quite beautiful! I have been thinking that I have always wanted the Sonoran chiltepin, or the Tarahumara that I read about in Jean Andrews book and later Dave Dewit. The Native seeds web site has them both also with the Amarillo. I may get some seeds but try and force myself not to grow them until next year. That will never happen will it?

Excellant as always Charles!
Later

I'm pretty sure I've got some extra seeds... want to try them this year?

You have some of the most crazy crosses. Really looking forward to seeing the pods that grow!

Thanks... yeah me too! I can't believe some of these things I've got growing, like the Aji Cristal x Brain Strain... I have no idea what to expect with that, or the Queen Laurie x Yellow Bhut... all of the plants are looking super healthy too. I'll take some pics of my crosses when it's sunny soon.

Good luck with those wonderful crosses. Never heard of the Queen Laurie. That's crazzzyyyy. So cool. Can't wait to see the pics

Thanks... yeah me too! I can't believe some of these things I've got growing, like the Aji Cristal x Brain Strain... I have no idea what to expect with that, or the Queen Laurie x Yellow Bhut... all of the plants are looking super healthy too. I'll take some pics of my crosses when it's sunny soon.

For some reason, I want to cross a Chinese 5-color with either a Brain Strain or a Douglah. I have both growing. Maybe I'll give it a shot this year!

For some reason, I want to cross a Chinese 5-color with either a Brain Strain or a Douglah. I have both growing. Maybe I'll give it a shot this year!

That sounds like fun, popular varieties all together...

Here are some updates on my crosses:

CAP501 (definitely) x Bhut (probably), at any rate without a doubt a C. chacoense x C. chinense cross:
IMG_20130315_110200_zpsf7cf708f.jpg

Aji Cristal x Brain Strain (C. baccatum x C. chinense) above and Queen Laurie x Yellow Bhut (C. baccatum x C. chinense) below:
IMG_20130315_110243_zpsb121dd86.jpg

One of my Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux (C. baccatum x C. praetermissum), this one is growing taller:
IMG_20130315_110523_zps2d519e20.jpg

My other Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux (C. baccatum x C. praetermissum), in comparison this one is spreading more:
IMG_20130315_110408_zpsdbcaf3f9.jpg

Back