• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spicegeist's Summer 2011

I like the looks of those yellow bhut jolokias. Great update!:beer:

I have a couple Yellow Bhuts growing and there is some variation in pod size and production. I'm looking forward to trying this one and comparing it with the Bonda ma Jacques, Yellow 7 Pods and Fatalii I'm growing this year.

Great pics you've got some mighty fine pepper plants sir... Can't wait to grow some Choc Habs next season... :woohoo:

I'm growing one Choco Hab and it's been a funny plant, it started off with what I'm guessing was some kind of a mite attack, I actually set it aside to potentially toss, but since I put it in the ground it has been very healthy and strong, outgrowing all the plants around it. It always looks so good even when some of the other plants start to wilt in the heat, it really doesn't need much attention from me at all.

Great pics Charlie. I'm with TPGM, I like the looks of those Yellow Bhuts. It will be great to see that when it gets ripe.

Great pics Charlie. I'm with TPGM, I like the looks of those Yellow Bhuts. It will be great to see that when it gets ripe.

It's a very nice plant, I'm isolating a few flowers now, hopefully they'll have time to ripen. It's potentially on my overwinter list too, will depend on how ambitious I feel at the end of the season.

Despite the low light conditions, I wanted to document this apparently atypical Bhut Jolokia I grew from CPI seed, these pods are representative of most of the what's on this plant. I have a few pods grown from isolated flowers and will grow this seed next year.
P1170160.jpg

P1170161.jpg

P1170162.jpg

P1170163.jpg

P1170164.jpg

P1170165.jpg

P1170166.jpg

P1170167.jpg

P1170168.jpg

P1170169.jpg

I was real curious to find out the difference between a Fatalii and a Yellow Bhut for myself this year.

See if you can see the difference:
P1170510.jpg

P1170507.jpg

P1170508.jpg

P1170509.jpg

P1170511.jpg

But sometimes it's not that obvious, here's a Yellow Bhut grown in a pot and smaller and a Fatalii:
P1170459.jpg

P1170460.jpg

Very nice looking pods. How did things turn out with the Yellow 7s?

Thanks Josh. Of the 3 Yellow 7s I grew, two were yellow verging on orange and the third turned red (pictured above). One of the Y7s had such a nice pod shape and some pods did actually turn out yellow instead of orange. I'm guessing exposure to the sun makes them turn orange since the more yellow pods were deeper down under the canopy. I have isolated seed and some crosses involving that nice Y7: Bhut Jolokia Carbon x Y7, Bonda ma Jacques x Y7, Fatalii x Y7...

Those yellows look almost orange. Is it just the picture or do they look that color in person too. Nice looking chocolates, they are very dark that's for sure.

:cheers:

They do look orange. My hypothesis is the same as for the Yellow 7s. More direct sun = more orange coloration. The pods on the Fatalii I'm growing are pretty well protected from direct sun by its own leaf canopy, so they're all straight yellow.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon too?

And so my first serious pepper season draws to a close. I've learned a lot and will be back next season.

Isolated seeds from a most excellent Yellow Bhut Jolokia phenotype:
P1170648.jpg

The fate of some of my past harvests:
P1170647.jpg

Awesome pictures dude! That large yellow bhut is one of the best y.bhut pods I've ever seen.
I can only hope mine look half that nice next year lol.
Great job man.

PS those jars of peppers and powders from previous harvests look great. Wish they sold that s** at local markets!
Well maybe not.. if they did.. I'd be spending alot more money than I do now.

:cheers:
Brandon

Back