• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

Jeff H said:
Looking sweet Jeff.

Question: Have you thought about making  some allowances for adjustment in the lower gantry carrier rollers in case you get some wear on aluminum and a little slop is introduced?

A Pic to help answer a question. :)
As the aluminum track wear’s, the roller bearings will need to be adjusted.
As I tried to explain in pic 20 but didn’t do a very good job :( the bottom bearing bolt hole is slotted for up and down movement, a bolt and spring are inserted from the bottom to add a fair amount of pressure to seat the bottom bearing to the track, then the bearing nut is tightened.
When the track starts to wear a quick loosen of the bearing nut and the spring will push the bearing tight up against the track again and then just re-tighten the bearing bolt again.
Hope that makes sense. lol

CNC_Project_023.jpg

Update:

Getting some of the ruff components spruced up a little while waiting for some fat washer and longer bolts.

CNC_Project_024.jpg

Trying to keep the tolerances to minimum, only about a 1/16" between the gantry carrier and the guild rail. 

CNC_Project_025.jpg

:dance:  - Jeff

For those few who wanted to see more of our barn conversion progress. :)

Starting on the kitchen area. This is a two tier half circle island with seating around the outside and counter work station on the inside, stove and refer will be on the back wall; drew and rough sketch of that and will post it when someone gives me a bump. lol

The place was kind of a nightmare but not as bad as you see in the first couple pics, at this point we had started ripping the existing kitchen apart and was in shambles. 

2014_Kitchen_001.jpg

2014_Kitchen_002.jpg

2014_Kitchen_003.jpg

2014_Kitchen_004.jpg

2014_Kitchen_005.jpg

2014_Kitchen_006.jpg

2014_Kitchen_007.jpg

2014_Kitchen_008.jpg

2014_Kitchen_009.jpg

2014_Kitchen_010.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!!

Cheers - Jeff

SL3 said:
Amazing! And when do you have time to grow peppers?

Hi SL3, Mostly in the summer, :) right now there is 6 inches of snow. If I were going to grow anymore which I'm not I would be starting seeds in about a month. :(

Reactions: SL3
Amazing as usual Jeff, always a pleasure to watch you work.  

I do have a question, back in #203 looking at the floor joist and the rafters it looks like they're made of 2x4's with 3/4" OSB between them. I've never worked with OSB before and my question is, is OSB really that strong that it can be used in that fashion or is there something else there that I'm not seeing? I've seen it used lots of times as a cover on exterior walls, just not like this. Also, is OSB able to handle moisture better than say MDF?

Really can't wait to see that counter in place and done. It's going to be beautiful!

RocketMan said:
Amazing as usual Jeff, always a pleasure to watch you work.  

I do have a question, back in #203 looking at the floor joist and the rafters it looks like they're made of 2x4's with 3/4" OSB between them. I've never worked with OSB before and my question is, is OSB really that strong that it can be used in that fashion or is there something else there that I'm not seeing? I've seen it used lots of times as a cover on exterior walls, just not like this. Also, is OSB able to handle moisture better than say MDF?

Really can't wait to see that counter in place and done. It's going to be beautiful!

Hi RM, how have you been?

The floor joists are manufactured that way. http://www.menards.com/main/p-2371787-c-5662.htm

There is only 1/2 inch osb between 2-1/2 inch top and bottom lumber, very strong for what they are.
I am only spanning 11 feet between footing supports so I was able to getaway with 12" but they make them much taller, custom order up to 24" tall and will span quite a distance. :-)

MDF IMO is junk for exterior use, not much more than pressed cardboard and will not handle moisture at all. Very strong though and in the right application works well.

No matter what is used other than concrete, it best kept dry or will most likely fail at some point. This is why I used more than a foot of non-wicking sand and 2 layers of 6 mil plastic.

Just a few progress shots of putting on the counter support, will be using 3/4 x 1/2 strips of oak; bending them around the curve. It will take around 40 rows and thinking about walnut front and back edging and maybe routing in some inlay before its finished. :)

2014_Kitchen_012.jpg

2014_Kitchen_013.jpg

2014_Kitchen_014.jpg

2014_Kitchen_015.jpg

2014_Kitchen_016.jpg

2014_Kitchen_017.jpg

2014_Kitchen_018.jpg

2014_Kitchen_019.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!! and have a great day. :-)

Cheers - Jeff

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking fantastic sir! Who gets to live in this wonderful creation?

Hi Chris, living in a barn while under construction has its challenges, but slowly but surely we are getting this kitchen area done and than I hope my wife, myself and our children will enjoy it.

Thanks, Cheers - Jeff

Hello Jeff, it's been a while.

What an awesome project. Your creativity and craftsmanship is always a pleasure to view.

Can't wait to see it completed. Got a target date?

DownRiver said:
Hello Jeff, it's been a while.

What an awesome project. Your creativity and craftsmanship is always a pleasure to view.

Can't wait to see it completed. Got a target date?

Hi DR, I can't wait to see it completed to. lol

This barn project is a long road and one I will never walk to the end in my life time, hopefully the nest generation will take over and complete it.

As far as the kitchen area is concerned maybe by the spring of 2016, progress is as we can afford it, lot more here to do than meets the eye, sometimes unfortunately I do things to the best of my nature and that alone at my age can be quite time consuming. 

Hope everything is good with you and your family, thank you for the kind words!

Cheers - Jeff

Back