• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

Thanks Jeff

Update:

Been doing some work on the CNC and will post some progress pics soon.

Mean while also planning out some oak for the upper eating counter, would of liked to had different wood; like cherry, maple, or walnut but oak is what I have lots and lots of so will use for the main top. I will put and stripe of walnut down the center and for the nosing which should set it off and will most likely stain it as well. :P

Some of the boards where over 16 inches but most 12 and 14 with a bunch of 6 inch as well,

2014_Kitchen_020.jpg

2014_Kitchen_021.jpg

My cheap strait line ripping jig. lol it works though. :rolleyes:

2014_Kitchen_022.jpg

2014_Kitchen_023.jpg

33 - 1x6's strait lined and ripped  to 9/16, 226 pieces total, by the time they were done I thought that was about the most boring job possible till I started planning em all down to 1/2 inch......now that was boring....4 hours of boring. lol :mope:

2014_Kitchen_024.jpg

2014_Kitchen_025.jpg

2014_Kitchen_026.jpg

Time to get er going!

Started out by marking where the oak strips would start.

2014_Kitchen_027.jpg

Installing clamping blocks on the radius, used a flash light for a better view of the pencil line, very important that the first row has a perfect curve or if not any rows that follow will magnify imperfections.

2014_Kitchen_028.jpg

Another pump please.

Thanks Jamie!

Test fit the first piece just to make sure of any issues........ none. :dance:

Used clear packing tape sticky side down between the OSB and the oak strips so the oak would not be glued to the OSB; The real wood will expand and contract way more than the OSB and if glued the oak would surly split and crack... it just might anyway.  

2014_Kitchen_029.jpg

The first 2 strips were a pain to glue but after that it seems to be going quite smooth.

Going to be very time consuming, I sand each new strip by hand flush with the others before gluing a new one.

2014_Kitchen_030.jpg

Close up of what has been done so far, think it should look sharp when finished. :high:

2014_Kitchen_031.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Cheers, - Jeff

Holy Pipeclamp Batman! I've never seen that many in use at once lol.

It's gonna be a beautiful thing Jeff.

Looking real good Jeff.

Pic 40-42. What is the purpose of raising the oak up like that? And how in the world did you keep from gluing it to the OSB?

When is the finish guestimate for the kitchen?

Jeff H said:
Looking real good Jeff.

Pic 40-42. What is the purpose of raising the oak up like that? And how in the world did you keep from gluing it to the OSB?

When is the finish guestimate for the kitchen?

Hi Jeff, how have you been?

Raising the top up so I could coat the bottom with polyurethane, really needs to be sealed all the way around if possible.
If you look in pic # 39 you can see that I laid packaging tape down before gluing so it wouldn't stick.

We have no set date on finishing; just as we can afford it. Still paying down on our daughters 2 million dollar hospital bill so money's are pretty tight as you could imagine.

This whole thing is probably a lost cause but need goals to keep up the moral. :)

Thanks for stopping by Jeff!

Cheers

Wow, nice progress Jeff!

Those ninety degree turns are nuckin futs! Your precision is incredible.

"Custom built" doesn't come close to doing this project justice.

Can't wait to see more!

[SIZE=14pt]Hello friends,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]For those who are truly interested, thought I would give you an update on the counter. It sat all summer with nothing done to it so it could acclimate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Every year we have a corn roast and this year was no exception so the wife but her foot down and said we need a place for our family to sit to eat; she didn't find it funny when I suggested the floor. :-)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Anywho - what good is the counter if we don't have any stools, decent stools are quite pricy @ 150 to 400 dollars a pop and we needed 22 of them --- ouch; so we had to build those as well,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Originally we were going to dye the counter instead of staining it, so we ordered the dye and found on test pieces we didn't like any of it. We built the stools first (cheep through together) and with a limited budget and wanting to stain the stools I took all the left over Minwax stains from previous jobs and dumped them all together and what you see is what you get, the wife liked the color so much she ordered me to stain the counter the same color. For those who like natural wood color like myself this is a tragedy. Lol But our cabinets will a crackled and pickled off white with dark stain in the cracks and groves so we needed a contrast.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Without further ado, first pics are of the counter re-sanded and soaked with water to lift the grain before final sanding and the rest are of the stained counter with a couple coats of Waterlox finish.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_047.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_048.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_049.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_050.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_051.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_052.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_053.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
2014_Kitchen_054.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks for stopping by!! Hope everyone is having a great week end. :-)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Cheers - Jeff[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]P.S. We are really missing growing and maybe year after next........ who knows. [/SIZE]

Back