• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Spicy Chicken's grow room and greenhouse makeover

Thanks everyone!

@ Mill, I had to shut that project down for now; Hopefully will get a chance to finish it come summer but the days are just flying bye (ya I spelled that right)

This year we will be doing our grow inside the barn where we live since I didn't have time to run water to either building; pepper-shack or cellar and do not feel like carrying water again this winter.

Thank you all for stopping by and have a great weekend.

Cheers, - Jeff

this thread is awesome. im envious of your carpentry skills.
im just good enough with wood to know how bad i am.

i love seeing all the small scale farms people run. i grow in a 14' x30 foot area so i cant imagine how you deal with all the picking watering and pest management. someone should get a thread going so people can show off all their large scale chili growing ops in one place.

have you ever considered a more conventional setup for growing? like irrigated mulched plastic rows wide enough for small tractors and such? seems like ive seen some small scale tilling equipment you could tow behind a small yard tractor.

this thread is awesome. im envious of your carpentry skills.
im just good enough with wood to know how bad i am.

i love seeing all the small scale farms people run. i grow in a 14' x30 foot area so i cant imagine how you deal with all the picking watering and pest management. someone should get a thread going so people can show off all their large scale chili growing ops in one place.

have you ever considered a more conventional setup for growing? like irrigated mulched plastic rows wide enough for small tractors and such? seems like ive seen some small scale tilling equipment you could tow behind a small yard tractor.

Thanks 152!

14x30 is still a respectable area for sure, you can grow a lot a plants in that. I am relatively small compared so some on here. last year we grew just over 4,000 plants; less than half of we we where going for.

On the last part of your comment, take a look at last years grow. (link below( I put you in the middle of the log but has to do with "have I considered". Always open for suggestions.;o)

Take a look if you have time and get back with me if you have any question.

Cheers, - Jeff

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27357-spicy-chickens-mmxii-grow-log-the-hot-spot-pepper-shack/page__st__140

oh wow, you are way out ahead of me on that one. i don't know how i missed that thread. i was only aware of your cylindrical planters from this thread.

lol "have you considered..." , what was i thinking?

yea its decent area. tbh i wouldn't have the time to deal with more than that. the more productive times of the year i find myself having to eat like 6 tomato's in a sitting so they dont get soft in the frige. this winter ive had to eat several perfectly good bells by themselves because they started to get soft on the tops... you can only deal with so many of them at a time.

oh wow, you are way out ahead of me on that one. i don't know how i missed that thread. i was only aware of your cylindrical planters from this thread.

lol "have you considered..." , what was i thinking?

yea its decent area. tbh i wouldn't have the time to deal with more than that. the more productive times of the year i find myself having to eat like 6 tomato's in a sitting so they dont get soft in the frige. this winter ive had to eat several perfectly good bells by themselves because they started to get soft on the tops... you can only deal with so many of them at a time.

You can dry bells and tomatoes for the winter months, they go great in stews and soups come mid January.lol guess you don't have 10 below zero days where you live a'.

Every year we grow these little tomatoes call Sun bursts or Sun something, can't remember but about the size of a nickel around and very low acid. when there is room they will go the dehydrators. turn out like raisins and make a great snack food in the off season.

Talk about waste: last year at least 40 thousand peppers rotted on the vine do to an extremely bountiful season and not enough man power to pick em. :o( what a waste.

You sir, are doing an incredible job. I'm definately envious of your operation. I have checked out your website, and please let me know when/If you are ever able to ship to Canada. Keep it up, I'll be watching

huh, never considered drying the bells. i
i dont mind eating the maters tho! some seasoning salt and a sharp knife and they are done.

Talk about waste: last year at least 40 thousand peppers rotted on the vine do to an extremely bountiful season and not enough man power to pick em. :o( what a waste.

exactly! i was wondering just that. do you have to hire some temps to pick stuff for you?

i have this massive jolokia plant, and i can spend like 30 min easy picking the pods and still miss like 10% of them. i cant imagine how long it takes a single dude to do a single row at your place.

You sir, are doing an incredible job. I'm definately envious of your operation. I have checked out your website, and please let me know when/If you are ever able to ship to Canada. Keep it up, I'll be watching

Well thanks you.

As far as shipping goes, I did ship to Canada but on the first shipment about a year ago we had a very bad experience, It ended up costing us more just to ship then what the initial order was including shipping. Paper work never ended and had to sign my name like 11 times and then it got held up in customs for like 3 weeks and they wanted their money back but convinced them to wait, they sent me a check for the goodies and found there was a $15 out on country bank charge and they only sent the money's to cover the product and when I asked them to send another check for the shipping which was like a hundred bucks they said that since the package didn't arrive in a timely matter they didn't feel they should pay it. To top it all off the UPS office is 25 mile one way the first trip they where closed the second trip I found out I needed the recipients phone number and the third trip to finally get it sent. all together 150 miles.

(Ok so sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug) lol

I just wish it was easier and let the mail man pick the packages up at the end of the driveway like normal. I would gladly send you something if I could, but its like; once bitten twice shy.;o(

thanks for stopping by and letting me whine a bit. lol

cheers, Jeff

huh, never considered drying the bells. i
i dont mind eating the maters tho! some seasoning salt and a sharp knife and they are done.

exactly! i was wondering just that. do you have to hire some temps to pick stuff for you?

i have this massive jolokia plant, and i can spend like 30 min easy picking the pods and still miss like 10% of them. i cant imagine how long it takes a single dude to do a single row at your place.

Ya it can take a while to pick a big plant for sure,, what I wanna know is how in the heck can you miss like 10% geesss the plant is green and the fruits are red; what the hell ROTFL. :O)
I didn't hire anyone last year but wish we would have, I know the number sounds great (40,000) but over all less then 8%. so still not bad. after a while you become desensitized to the loss and laugh when you hear the popping under your feet.

O well right?

Jeff

Bureaucracy run amok. A Canadian company I used to order (completely legal) herbals from will no longer ship to the US at all.

ah i miss so many because of how thick the plant is, and how small the pods are. were talking about Bih jolokias btw.
you have to sorta pick up each branch and grab them out.
its easier if you sit on a stool and reach up into the plant from below ive found. you can see alot more of the pods.

Bureaucracy run amok. A Canadian company I used to order (completely legal) herbals from will no longer ship to the US at all.

That sucks!! is there a particular reason? or many?

ah i miss so many because of how thick the plant is, and how small the pods are. were talking about Bih jolokias btw.
you have to sorta pick up each branch and grab them out.
its easier if you sit on a stool and reach up into the plant from below ive found. you can see alot more of the pods.

Hey you shouldn't let me pick on you like that without dishing some out.lol

Ya I know what you mean last year we had quite a number of Bih plants and although the plant I'm sure wasn't as big as yours they are still a pain to pick, but nothing compared to ornamental Thai's or piquins,

I know during harvest I spend more time laying on the ground looking up the skirts to pick then standing up. Methinks some trained monkeys would be great, but I have a feeling I would end up with one that likes the hot stuff. Flaming monkey poo? Only if he is throwing it at the feral cats in the neighborhood. :rofl:

But back to the original reason for my post... Did the solar powered picking cart come in handy this year for you? One day I want to get the plans from you and build one, then I will have a reason for a bigger garden :lol:

I know during harvest I spend more time laying on the ground looking up the skirts to pick then standing up. Methinks some trained monkeys would be great, but I have a feeling I would end up with one that likes the hot stuff. Flaming monkey poo? Only if he is throwing it at the feral cats in the neighborhood. :rofl:

But back to the original reason for my post... Did the solar powered picking cart come in handy this year for you? One day I want to get the plans from you and build one, then I will have a reason for a bigger garden :lol:

Hey buddy how are you, you are one funny guy and love reading your posts, lol

Anywho I do not own that cart and where ever that post is hope that I didn't claim to have, that would be a lie, but I sure wish I had one. They look quite nifty but I think you would find yourself on one butt cheek a lot leaning over to pick the fruits. I think it would be better to float over the top on a padded massage table looking thing with a face hole and baskets on both sides. still motorized though. woohoo lol

ok I spent the last hour going through all 29 pages of posts you made. I remember you describing using a electric chair like a Hoveround or whatever for parts. Talking about using the joystick for the forward and backward movement. I couldn't find the post. Maybe it was in a PM.

Back