• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickens MMXIV Glog - Hobby Grow

welcome_to_spicy_chickens_grow_log.jpg

This years grow will be somewhat [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]disappointing comparatively speaking, my wife and I decided last night to only plant the circle raised beds this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Each bed holds 12 plants conservatively X 20 will only be 240 plants; all Reapers and for no particular reason; just to have something growing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Some of you may have seen my thread in the Lounge about a barn conversion and this will take priority over the dedication it take to grow our normal thousands of plants. ;-([/SIZE]

We did plant 2548 reaper seeds, we will [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]transplant[/SIZE] what germinates and try to sell locally anything over 240
All of the plants will be topped and stripped this year again, so if you are interested in that stay tuned.

Once again I may not have time to respond to all of your replies, but you will know I read them with a like. Please no Like trolls. lol

Seeding by hand this year with only one seed per cell, limited on seeds.

2014_Grow_001.jpg

To save space and heat we stacked them [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]until[/SIZE] they pop.

2014_Grow_002.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
Edit: The writing on the first pic is incorrect and what we first thought we would do. so don't ask :rofl:

Looks great, but I think the official record Guinness has is over 2 million scovies. I'm sure Puckerbutt has the exact number on their site somewhere.

OKGrowin said:
maybe just say 600x hotter than jalapeno instead of making the person do the math.

Good one OK, made the change,  :party:

Never thought about someone having to do the math, just a thought like: Wow that's way hotter then a Jalapeno. lol

Thanks!!

Pulpiteer said:
Yeah, I was going to say to include "scoville units" after the 2500 for jalapeno, but I like this idea better. I think it hits home more.

I think it looks great though. It's clear what you are getting, the minimum order, the cost and all of that. Plus I think it's intriguing enough for non-chile heads to wonder about growing some. It has all the information you need, but doesn't strike me as too busy where you'd get lost in finding what you want.

Looks great - good luck!

Thanks Andy. Great input to move forward and print.  ;)

Thanks everyone for their input, now I won't seem so much like the idiot that wrote it to begin with. :mope:

We have more than 60 locations to pin this, so it's pretty important that the vocabulary and spelling is correct.  ;)

Is $5 to much for the plants?

The final rendering. ;-) 

Reaper_Plant_Ad_1500a.jpg

Jeff H said:
Looks great, but I think the official record Guinness has is over 2 million scovies. I'm sure Puckerbutt has the exact number on their site somewhere.

Jeff, Yes it peaks at 2.2 but.

Copied from the New York Times:

The pepper rates an average of 1,569,300 Scoville heat units, as tested by Winthrop University in South Carolina throughout 2012, says the Guinness entry.

I have always been confused whether you should advertise the average or the peak possibilities. lol 2.2 does have a nicer ring to it but. :onfire:  Hmmmmm

There should not be a space between the 600 and the x. Should read 600x Hotter than a Jalapeno. They way it reads now it looks like you are trying to write a multiplication sentence, 600 x Hotter than a Jalapeno.

I would buy 6 plants if you could ship them to NY.  From plants I have received in the past, the pots were covered in newspaper, taped up and they arrived in good shape. 

Cheers!

Thinking about running another contest.

Any takers?

Prize: Sampler Test Tubes, every flavor we have available. That's a lot. :dance: 

Just have to think something up!  :think: Hmm

Any Idea's? 

Any one here remember this pic?

[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]
Contest_pic_001.jpg
[/SIZE]

The jars still have all the peppers in them to this day. lol A bit faded I imagine.

Food for thought.

:shh: 

And lastly another painting I thought you may appreciate.

Toasted Roasted Jalapeno Painting

Pepper_Oil_Paint_045.jpg

Cheers - Jeff

Hey Jeff - glad to see you are going to fill those curricular beds this season.  They make
one of the most beautiful grows on the forum!  I'm glad you deduced to have a grow this
season.  I was bummed when you said you might not.

that painting looks pretty awesome!

Spicy Chicken said:
We have more than 60 locations to pin this, so it's pretty important that the vocabulary and spelling is correct.  ;)

Is $5 to much for the plants?

As far as $5 a plant, it all depends on your market.  I think most people who have bought rare seeds, done a soil mix, started seedlings, supplied the pots and so on, will know that's a fair price, especially considering the rarity of the pepper you are selling.  You won't buy those at a Lowe's garden center.  So for the right folks $5 is great, imo.  If you get people who are used to just buying jalapenos from a box store, they may not want to pay that much. But just because people don't know the quality they are getting doesn't mean you have to lower the price, so I don't know.
Here's an idea - if anyone complains about the price, offer a half a teaspoon of reaper powder. If they can eat it without any major reactions (like puking or running away) then they get them half price. Just a thought...

Jeff your pepper grow is in the elite status...............as usual

Best of luck with selling the super-hots. I started selling plants yrs back, nowadays its mostly Heirloom Tomatoes, Sweet and Mild Peppers , other veg that folks are asking for. Although in the past few years I've had return customers asking for the Hot's.

Your price is very fare considering it's for a pre-order and the plants will be twice the size before plant out.

PaulG said:
Hey Jeff - glad to see you are going to fill those curricular beds this season.  They make
one of the most beautiful grows on the forum!  I'm glad you deduced to have a grow this
season.  I was bummed when you said you might not.

Hi Paul, just wanted to say that I have been to your glog and must say you buddy are way ahead of this guy and I mean in setup as well as plants.....frickin awesome!!

yes it was touch and go for a while. Some hard decisions had to be made as far as the money's spent to money's returned for the cause. better off just giving Chelsea the expense money's and save all the work and headache. Even though we find it enjoyable there are times when things have to be done and that is pressure or loose.
Some of the things we will miss:

I will miss the sound of the tractor and the smell of freshly tilled soil.

2013_grow_035.jpg

2013_grow_036.jpg

Planting. :)
One of the greatest joy of growing is finally being able to load up all of the seedling and take the out to the garden. You have such anticipation of how they will grow for the season and the enjoyment of watching all of your hard work pay off. Mother nature may have different plans, but despite any setbacks it always seems things turn out in the end. 

2013_grow_047.png

We will miss the view in the morning especially as we stroll down through the rows just pondering upon all of the beauty.
Living in the country does have its moments, the only sounds that you hear are those of bird, bee's and the wind rustling through the leaves. extremely peaceful. 

Some mornings as my wife and I ponder, we will be greeted by several doe's and their newly born fawn's feeding in the tall grass not more than a hundred feet away; with not a care in the world that we are there, the feeling is mutual. Killdeers scurry about with their young always seeming to be looking for something they can never find. We enjoy watching the birds gathering twigs and straw for their nest. We have 2 sets of bald eagles that nest here, what beauty as they soar. 

2013_grow_057.jpg

2013_grow_060.jpg

2013_grow_062.jpg

One warm summer day after a nice afternoon rain I stepped out the back door to see this view. At first there were 2 rainbows; one higher up but by the time I retrieved the camera one had faded away.
I am pretty good with Photoshop but this pic needed nothing, but still a picture will never compare to the real view, they never do.

Checked the time stamp on this photo below, July 17th. Only 45 days after we planted them and less than half their maturity. Not bad for a cheese head A" lol.

2012_Grow_Log_214.jpg

Actually having a difficult time with the thought of never seeing this garden or the front garden ever again. [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]All[/SIZE] good things will come to an end but that doesn't [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]mean[/SIZE] I have to like it and we will miss it a lot. :mope: 

Pulpiteer said:
that painting looks pretty awesome!

As far as $5 a plant, it all depends on your market.  I think most people who have bought rare seeds, done a soil mix, started seedlings, supplied the pots and so on, will know that's a fair price, especially considering the rarity of the pepper you are selling.  You won't buy those at a Lowe's garden center.  So for the right folks $5 is great, imo.  If you get people who are used to just buying jalapenos from a box store, they may not want to pay that much. But just because people don't know the quality they are getting doesn't mean you have to lower the price, so I don't know.
Here's an idea - if anyone complains about the price, offer a half a teaspoon of reaper powder. If they can eat it without any major reactions (like puking or running away) then they get them half price. Just a thought...

Thanks buddy, funny but I don't want to have 911 on speed dial. lol
We have had our flyers out for a couple of days now along with local message boards and craigslist, as expected not one email, we know we have to give it some time but have a sneaky suspicion we will be tossing hundreds and hundreds of beautiful plants right in the compost pile. What a damn shame!! I will give it another 2 weeks and if there are very few or no emails we will be shutting the lights down, at least we save a little jingle that way.

I would rather throw them away then give em away to folks who wouldn't pay for them to begin with, ya know what I mean?

PIC 1 said:
Jeff your pepper grow is in the elite status...............as usual

Best of luck with selling the super-hots. I started selling plants yrs back, nowadays its mostly Heirloom Tomatoes, Sweet and Mild Peppers , other veg that folks are asking for. Although in the past few years I've had return customers asking for the Hot's.

Your price is very fare considering it's for a pre-order and the plants will be twice the size before plant out.

Thanks Greg, elite? now your grow is elite.....my grow/plants doesn't hold a candle to yours and your set up.

I can see in your neck of the woods how veggies could be quite the bomb, but here everyone and their brother has a garden and starts their own plants.

It's great to have clientele that return year after year. help to pay the electric bill and a lot of satisfaction in knowing they will growing what you started. :)

I would like to thank everyone for stopping by and leaving a comment, it's makes the whole taking pics, uploading etc all worthwhile.

:woohoo: It's Friday once again, [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]hopefully no one has to work the weekend.[/SIZE]

Have a good one!! Cheers - Jeff

Enjoyed the stroll back through memory lane, some beautiful memories there.

I can't get over the meticulous rows and plants.

Enjoy your season!

ChiliNoob said:
Hi Jeff,

Just wondering what schedule do you run your lights at?

Cheers.

Hi Lee.

Just went through and read your glog, interesting chain of events, mice, light ballasts, leaf spots etc, all a learning curve. ;-) I think you will have a great year. The mice plants will out produce and plant that has been left alone from day one to maturity. lol

I leave my lights on 24/7, but still a far cry from the luminous flux they will get with the real sun per 24 hour period. That's why they get sunburned when left out too long as seedlings as I'm sure you know.

Good luck this season!

Cheers - Jeff

Jeff, I really enjoyed the look back photos.  I sort of got a lump in my throat when I saw them
and remembered how beautiful your grows are.  Thanks for the nice comments about my grow,
but in all honesty, it really can't compare to yours.  You have such a beautiful place - the kind
I've always dreamed of, but just not in the cards for me this time around, I guess.  Keep the good
vibe goin' my friend.  Your season will be an inspiration to us all!  

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Some of the mouse plants are already doing better than their siblings.  Apart from slowing down the growth, it doesn't seemed to have hurt them much.  It's still along way off before I can even think about moving any plants outside, so I'll be deliberately topping and stripping a few more plants soon as space is an issue for me.  Actually, as an experiment, I stripped one plant already this past weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your grow this year, I read though your 2013 glog soon after joining this site and was blown away.

I am just along for the ride here; Jeff does all the work. Having said that I too will miss seeing the garden grow. I will miss all the green and the discovery of the fruit under the leaves. The place just won't seem the same.

Back