• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickens MMXIV Glog - Hobby Grow

welcome_to_spicy_chickens_grow_log.jpg

This years grow will be somewhat [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]disappointing comparatively speaking, my wife and I decided last night to only plant the circle raised beds this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Each bed holds 12 plants conservatively X 20 will only be 240 plants; all Reapers and for no particular reason; just to have something growing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Some of you may have seen my thread in the Lounge about a barn conversion and this will take priority over the dedication it take to grow our normal thousands of plants. ;-([/SIZE]

We did plant 2548 reaper seeds, we will [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]transplant[/SIZE] what germinates and try to sell locally anything over 240
All of the plants will be topped and stripped this year again, so if you are interested in that stay tuned.

Once again I may not have time to respond to all of your replies, but you will know I read them with a like. Please no Like trolls. lol

Seeding by hand this year with only one seed per cell, limited on seeds.

2014_Grow_001.jpg

To save space and heat we stacked them [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]until[/SIZE] they pop.

2014_Grow_002.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
Edit: The writing on the first pic is incorrect and what we first thought we would do. so don't ask :rofl:

Plants are looking great Jeff.

What else has been going on? got any new construction projects?

Question: you obviously aren't going to personally use 200 plants worth of Reapers, so I assume you will be drying and selling them. So moving forward, you are only going to be selling reaper powder once current inventory is exhausted?

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking great Jeff.

What else has been going on? got any new construction projects?

Question: you obviously aren't going to personally use 200 plants worth of Reapers, so I assume you will be drying and selling them. So moving forward, you are only going to be selling reaper powder once current inventory is exhausted?

Thanks you and to all who stopped by and replied.

Yes, I shut down the pantry project and did some early spring cleaning of a junk pile and a pig shed that only till cleanout was never touched since we purchased the place 12 years ago. quite the treasure hunt it was.... lots and lots of goodies. ;-)

Plus: I have been working on an 24x36 foot living room addition added to the east side of the barn and on the end of that a 16 x24 covered deck, when finish my place will be 118 feet long. lol Had lots of concrete and soil to move all by hand before I could even start the project; will post some picks in the Barn makeover thread a little later.

At my age really spicy food takes its toll on stomach, so eating any reapers will never happen again. We just pulled out the last blocks of frozen peppers out of the freezer and dried them, so it will be a little while before the doors close, we will have some for sale but once I can't offer enough variety then we will shut things down. We already canceled the split and whole pods along with the snacks. won't be too long now. ;-( 

Definetly going to miss growing and all the great folks here. 

Cheers, - Jeff

Thanks for the update Jeff. Plants and pods coming right along. Hope temps rise for you. Sorry to here about shutting down. Do wha makes you happy. We support you either way.

Have a great week and thanks for sharing.

Chuck

Spicy Chicken said:

"...Definetly going to miss growing and all the great folks here.

Cheers, - Jeff "

Wow, the thought of you not here anymore sure suxs Jeff. That means there will be one less "great folk", for sure.

DownRiver said:
Wow, the thought of you not here anymore sure suxs Jeff. That means there will be one less "great folk", for sure.
Agreed.

You don't have to grow 7,000 plants of the hottest pepper going in order to be on the glogs. I mean, you could do some cool stuff with just a few peppers of various and more edible variety and we'd follow along. Just sayin'...

Pulpiteer said:
Agreed.

You don't have to grow 7,000 plants of the hottest pepper going in order to be on the glogs. I mean, you could do some cool stuff with just a few peppers of various and more edible variety and we'd follow along. Just sayin'...

I'm a bit saddened to hear about you shutting things down. Seeing your previous season's glogs were inspiring, being a fellow NE Wisconsinite. As Pulpiteer mentioned, perhaps a 2015 non-commercial, personal grow? Maybe even just a few of your favorite varieties would be fantastic to see! Your plants and setup are so beautiful, regardless of weather conditions. Besides, what else is there to paint?  ;)

I'm new here and obviously do not post very often, but I was determined to find this glog today to see how things were for you. Best of luck in your future endeavors and perhaps we'll see at least a couple of those raised beds thriving again next season!

True jerk sauce is nothing to mess with and replacing the typical heat which is usually scotch bonnets with the equivalent amount of reapers is purely insane! Everything looks awesome regardless of the weather slowing us ALL down. I made the mistake using 7 7 pot pods in the traditional pork stew...never again! 1 7 pot for 7 pots is more like it :) 

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the update Jeff. Plants and pods coming right along. Hope temps rise for you. Sorry to here about shutting down. Do wha makes you happy. We support you either way.

Have a great week and thanks for sharing.

Chuck

You're welcome chuck..... my pleasure!  unfortunately the weather has been average or below, this weekend they are calling for high temps but its to late now. Sad

DownRiver said:

Hi Rick, long time...glad to see you are still around here, hope everything is good with you and your family! This winter should provide some free time to catch up on folks here and see what I have been missing.
"[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]That means there will be one less "great folk", for sure." [/SIZE]Very kind of you to say. ;)

Pulpiteer said:
Agreed.

Very true, this year was just a hobby grow with only 250 plants, we will never grow that many again, you never know what might happen for next year but I do know I will not be starting any plants from seed this winter.

I have about a half million seeds that need a new home but just don't have the time to sort things out. Maybe I will have a great big giveaway and if we ever decided to grow again I can ask for some here. lol  :party:

Matchstick said:

I'm a bit saddened to hear about you shutting things down. Seeing your previous season's glogs were inspiring, being a fellow NE Wisconsinite. As Pulpiteer mentioned, perhaps a 2015 non-commercial, personal grow? Maybe even just a few of your favorite varieties would be fantastic to see! Your plants and setup are so beautiful, regardless of weather conditions. Besides, what else is there to paint?  ;)

I'm new here and obviously do not post very often, but I was determined to find this glog today to see how things were for you. Best of luck in your future endeavors and perhaps we'll see at least a couple of those raised beds thriving again next season!

Hi Scott, Kind words, thank you. Not that far north of you, I did the Green Bay ride every work day for over 3 years.......after a hundred thousand miles I said that's enough. You are more than welcome to come and see us any time you like, we also are having our annual open fire corn roast on the 29th of this mouth, we would love to have another chili head and anyone you would like to bring. Just pm me and I can send you my address.  :dance:

Jobu said:
I used my jar of Jeff's 7 pot Douglah powder on some Lo Mein for last night's dinner. Great grower and great products. Cheers.

Hey Mike, glad to hear you are happy with the powder, Douglah is way to hot for me. I love chinese food and we have a great buffet not to far from here, eat there at least 3 times a month.  :woohoo:  Thanks again for the order!! 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
True jerk sauce is nothing to mess with and replacing the typical heat which is usually scotch bonnets with the equivalent amount of reapers is purely insane! Everything looks awesome regardless of the weather slowing us ALL down. I made the mistake using 7 7 pot pods in the traditional pork stew...never again! 1 7 pot for 7 pots is more like it :)

Chris are you calling me insane? lol my wife would agree...we had to throw als the wings out......gosh what a waste. :confused:  Just can't handle food so hot that you can't taste anything after the second bite. Like you said Never Again!! :shh:

Update:

welcome_to_another_update.jpg

I went out yesterday evening just before dark and took a couple shots of plant growth but didn't get a chance to take any good pics of the pods, I will as soon as it stops raining which might be in 7 days according to the weather man, This sucks right now.......we need the sun to shine.  :mope:

As you can see, we have had some decent growth for the condition here but lacking on pod development.

2014_Grow_082.JPG

Sure wish sometimes we had another 2 months of growing season, just look at all the buds that will never produce. Frost expected in about 20 days.  :confused:

2014_Grow_083.JPG

Will try and get some pod shots as asap. I haven't even lifted the skirts in almost 2 weeks.......... really afraid of the dissapointment. lol It's tough seeing all your hard work not pay off. O well ........right?

Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

Spicy Chicken said:

You're welcome chuck..... my pleasure!  unfortunately the weather has been average or below, this weekend they are calling for high temps but its to late now. Sad

Hi Rick, long time...glad to see you are still around here, hope everything is good with you and your family! This winter should provide some free time to catch up on folks here and see what I have been missing.
"[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]That means there will be one less "great folk", for sure." [/SIZE]Very kind of you to say. ;)

Very true, this year was just a hobby grow with only 250 plants, we will never grow that many again, you never know what might happen for next year but I do know I will not be starting any plants from seed this winter.

I have about a half million seeds that need a new home but just don't have the time to sort things out. Maybe I will have a great big giveaway and if we ever decided to grow again I can ask for some here. lol  :party:

Hi Scott, Kind words, thank you. Not that far north of you, I did the Green Bay ride every work day for over 3 years.......after a hundred thousand miles I said that's enough. You are more than welcome to come and see us any time you like, we also are having our annual open fire corn roast on the 29th of this mouth, we would love to have another chili head and anyone you would like to bring. Just pm me and I can send you my address.  :dance:

Hey Mike, glad to hear you are happy with the powder, Douglah is way to hot for me. I love chinese food and we have a great buffet not to far from here, eat there at least 3 times a month.  :woohoo:  Thanks again for the order!! 

Chris are you calling me insane? lol my wife would agree...we had to throw als the wings out......gosh what a waste. :confused:  Just can't handle food so hot that you can't taste anything after the second bite. Like you said Never Again!! :shh:

Update:

I went out yesterday evening just before dark and took a couple shots of plant growth but didn't get a chance to take any good pics of the pods, I will as soon as it stops raining which might be in 7 days according to the weather man, This sucks right now.......we need the sun to shine.  :mope:

As you can see, we have had some decent growth for the condition here but lacking on pod development.

2014_Grow_082.JPG

Sure wish sometimes we had another 2 months of growing season, just look at all the buds that will never produce. Frost expected in about 20 days.  :confused:

2014_Grow_083.JPG

Will try and get some pod shots as asap. I haven't even lifted the skirts in almost 2 weeks.......... really afraid of the dissapointment. lol It's tough seeing all your hard work not pay off. O well ........right?

Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

Just beautiful plants!

The Reaper is a nice tasty pepper, but where I'm at hard to grow. I started seeds in November and am growing 2 plants this season. First pod was picked yesterday, and very few on the plants. If I ran them until December I would get a nice harvest, but that's not going to happen. The soil needs a break (Me too!)

Hope these produce well!

Thanks Jeff, that is a very generous offer and I would love to see your spread some time. Unfortunately, we have family coming in for the holiday weekend. Hopefully the weather is decent and we can get some fishing in. This past week, I was finally able to find a local farmer with sweet corn. Man, those guys around here have had a tough season this year. A roadside stand I frequent was having corn sent in from Indiana just 2 weeks ago and said they wouldn't have theirs ready until Labor Day weekend..  My garden is far behind as (didn't get put in until June 13th) but should be set OK by the end of Sept. Definitely not a bumper crop year for me. 

Love the painting. I had to double check to see if it was a re-post of your last picture! Great work!! Thanks again for the invitation to the corn roast- it sounds like it will be a blast- have a great weekend!

Update.

Feel like a stranger posting, been so long since the last update, extremely busy right now. :cry: 

​Plants seem to growing like mad, some of the most lush and thick [SIZE=18.1818180084229px]canopies we have ever grown.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.1818180084229px]Pod production is a little slower than most years do to the weather, but has been picking up since the last update. The foliage is so thick it is quite difficult to take pics of the pods but managed to get a few. Once frost hits we should be able to get a better look at the fruits.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.1818180084229px]Might decide to pick a few pods for seeds incase some time - years from now I decide to plant a couple, but other than that it was just fun growing them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.1818180084229px]So here a few pics of the growth and some pods.[/SIZE] 

2014_Grow_085.jpg

2014_Grow_086.jpg

2014_Grow_087.jpg

2014_Grow_088.jpg

2014_Grow_089.jpg

2014_Grow_090.jpg

2014_Grow_091.jpg

2014_Grow_092.jpg

Thank you all for stopping by and have a great week!

Cheers - Jeff

Man, look at the tails on those cuties!

Way to go Jeff!

Looking great as always Jeff.

You know, I bet that is the largest collection of truly isolated reaper plants on the planet. Too bad you are closing the shop, you could be one of the only ones to truly have isolated and pure seeds.

Jeff, once again you have a wonderful grow going on. Great weather in the northern mid west this year....too bad we can't clone that one.
Sorry to read about your change of plans in regards with the future pepper grow. I still can't figure how you accomplish the farming with all your other projects happening.

Back