• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Spicy Tomato Relish

Hi All

i made a Spicy Tomato Relish on the weekend and it turned out soooooo good i had to share.
My 1st time making a relish, and i Will be doing this again.

Sorry but i didnt think of taking pics untill it was too late

2kg Ripe tomatoes
3/4 kg white onions
1/2 cup salt
1/2 kg sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
750ml vinegar (i used apple cider, but white is fine)
1 tablespoon cornflour
Chillies to taste - i used 3 naga's as my wife is a lightweight

Steps:

1). boil a large pot of water (about 1/2 full). Once boiled turn off
2). Peel and chop all the onions. I used a food processor (saves the eyes). set aside
3). cut an 'X' into the base of each tomato and place into the hot water. The idea is to break the skin by cutting an X, and the hot water wrinkles the skin making it easy to peel the tomatoes.
4). once the tomatoes skins have wrinkled in the water. take them out. Peel them. Top them. Cut into quarters and give a light squeeze to remove the liquid
5). combine the chopped tomatoes, onions and all the salt into a tray and leave overnight. The salt will extract alot of the liquid
6). pour off as much of the liquid as possible
7). place mix into a large pot. Add vinegar and sugar, chillies, spices.
8). bring to the boil and cook for 1 - 1.5 hours, untill mix is reduced almost by half. Stiring alot and skim off the scum that appears
9). At this point i used a potato masher to break up the large chunks of tomatoes. Its still nice and chunky though.
10). take a little of the relish liquid and combine with the cornflour in a small bowl or cup. Remove all the lumps and mix to a nice paste. Add this to the main pot to thicken it.
11). cook for a further 5 min. remove from heat and bottle into sterilised jars
12). place sealed jars into a water bath (pot with water filled to just under the jars top) and boil for 30min. This makes a nice seal and should keep em fresh for Ages

Be sure to cook this with an open window. The vinegar can get a bit potent ;)

sounds nice how much kick did it have

In the end - not alot.
Some nice pepper / chilli flavour on the tounge as you eat it and you can definetly taste the naga, but it doesnt linger and doesnt hit the back of your throat like some super hot sauces do.
pretty much how i wanted it as my wife doesnt like it TOO hot. Ill add 1 naga per small bottle for me though ;)

some pics of the finished product: (excuse the iPhone quality )

Back