Spooner Checking In!!!

Greetings all. This is Kevin from Minnesota. I’m just getting started in this whole pepper craze. It all started over a year ago when I bought a jar of Strawberry-Jalapeno Jam at a craft show and I’ve been on fire ever since. Now I make my own jams with a wide range of heat and fruits. This year I’m trying something new... I’m growing my own. I have some Orange Habaneras, Red Caribbean Habaneras and some Bhut Jolokias started and under lights. Some are doing well others are struggling. I’ve never grown ANYTHING from seed before so to me I’ve made an outstanding achievement just getting what I have. Plus from what I’ve read peppers aren’t the easiest to grow in the first place.

If I’m able to get a harvest this fall I plan to make my jams and maybe experiment with dried pods, powders and maybe even seeds. I don’t know yet. I have to get a crop first.

Anyway I’m real excited to have found this place and I hope to be able to contribute in some way in the future. But for right now I’m going to be reading a lot and learning everything I can from you guys.

Hey Kevin :welcome: You've come to the right place, tons of great grow and cooking info and lots of great and knowledgable folks.

Hello Kevin. and welcome to THP. You'll enjoy all the good reading material available, and it can help with the learning curve. It's all good my friend.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Greatly appreciated. I’m just starting to find my way around here but what I’m finding so far has been great!!!

welcome.gif
And all the best from Dorset UK. Those jams sound good!!

welcome.gif
And all the best from Dorset UK. Those jams sound good!!

They are good. Not only on toast, bagels and English muffins but on a brick of cream cheese at room temperature with some Ritz crackers or one guy I sell it to actually marinates his wings in it.

sounds very nice would love to try some. do you export to the UK??

They are good. Not only on toast, bagels and English muffins but on a brick of cream cheese at room temperature with some Ritz crackers or one guy I sell it to actually marinates his wings in it.

sounds very nice would love to try some. do you export to the UK??

LOL… I never have exported outside the U.S. but I guess I could try. In all reality it would be cheaper and easier for both of us if I gave you the recipe and helped you learn how to make it yourself.

Welcome... i wanna try and make a jam or jelly this year... post up a recipe...
I’d be glad to post the recipe. Mods if I need to post the recipe in the recipe forum let me know and I will. Plus I’d be happy to help answer any questions or problems you may encounter when trying to make it. I had to learn by trial and error. Now that I have all the issues figured out I can really help you avoid any mistakes. Not to mention I have several short cuts/tricks.

Strawberry Jalapeno Jam

Ingredients

* 4 cups crushed strawberries
* 1 cup minced jalapeno peppers
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1 (2 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
* 7 cups white sugar
* 8 half pint canning jars with lids and rings

Directions
1. Place the crushed strawberries, minced jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, and pectin into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once simmering, stir in the sugar until dissolved, return to a boil, and cook for 1 minute.
2. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the jam into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
3. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart. Allow to cool overnight Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.

Back