• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Spouting Bhut Jolokia

Hi everyone, been viewing for a bit but my first post. Living in Brisbane, Australia and just trying to sprout some Bhut Jolokia seeds, having a bit of trouble, been around 3 weeks and nothing. Just wondering what is the best way to sprout these type of seeds and start the growing. ive grown a few birds eye and habenero plants but not from seed. desperate to get a few good plants going before the end of winter.
Thanks in advance

first off, welcome to the forum from Fort Worth, Texas

seeds need a pretty controlled climate to germinate in...

I use constant 30C and a good soil-less germinating medium...the soil needs to be moist but not wet...once they pop their little heads up, pour the light to them...

thanks mate, this is a great forum, learning quite a bit. also while germinating, should there be much or any light?

light is not necessary until the sprouts emerge then they need the light immediately or they will become very leggy

I just wanna say that with my seeds, it took almost 5 weeks before I got my first sprouts. They were all pretty close around that time, but it wasn't until then that I had anything so that sounds about right even at 3 weeks

I got my Bih Jolokia's to germinate in 6 days, all I did was soak the seeds for a few minutes in warm water with a little bleach in it (finger dipped into the bottle then stirred into warm water).

I then rinsed them off and soaked them in regular warm water for about 5 minutes.

I then took some Miracle Grow potting soil and microwaved it for about 6 minutes to sterilize it, when it cooled down I placed it in an old icecube tray (about half full) added one seed per cube right in the middle, added the rest of the soil above, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed on the back of a computer monitor that was on 24/7.

I had a digital thermometer and the temps were at about 85F to 95F but mostly 85F.

I was not expecting the germination to be that quick and initially thought some weeds had germinated in the soil mix, but it turned out to be the real seeds.

It blows away my older method, for sure.

Thanks, I've been reading on here a while, but just finally decided to start posting. And I'll be honest, it's my first time growing so I didn't really know to do much supplemental to speed the sprouting process. I kept them inside where the ambient temp was around 73 degrees and watered the soil when it appeared to be drying out, say every 2nd to 3rd day. Through that process it took around 5 weeks.

I figure 6-10 days is about average for the seeds I germinate...some three days and some 14 days...but then again, I am set up for pepper growing from womb to cradle to grave so to speak...

if my seeds are going to germinate, they will do so within that time period or else they don't get the chance to germinate...I recycle the tray and plant another 72 seeds

there are lots of threads on the website that have do with varieties, germination percents, temperatures, lighting, watering, fertilizing, (and the list goes on)...if you can't find the answer here it probably doesn't exist...a little patience goes a long way growing chilis....your best friend is the search button third from the right on the above tool bar...click it, enter a word or phrase and it will return the threads with the words you have typed...if you can't find the answer by searching and reading...simply start a thread and ask...

i too have tried to sprout bhut jolokia seeds. so far i have not got any sprouts even after 1 1/2 months waiting. i used a peat pallet. i have another batch which i put in on 17th july. so far no signs :(

i am going try Richardk's method this week with my last batch of bhut jolokia seeds and plant them in a soil dirt mixture.

Had no problems here planting them 0.5cm deep in seed raising soil mix in a small germinating tray, then sticking it on a heat mat. Popped up in about a week, smack in the middle of winter :P

All the seeds need to germinate is the proper heat and moisture. If your soil temps are too high, they won't come up. 80-85F works best for me. Anything over 90F is too high IMO. Give them light after they sprout and use a cover for increased humidity for germination.

I planted 21 Bhut seeds in little cups with Miricle Grow organic soil in a covered, bottom heated tray at 30c and still nothing happened after a month. I have them outside in the hot sun now, just in case. Seeds were from Green Earth.

I'm trying again with Jiffy Pellets planted on 7-4,5; My Red Habs srouted within 6 days that way, so I will let you all know what happens with the new Bhut set. Bhut seeds from Green Earth, and Bhut Assum from the Chilli Pepper Company.

The chinense family can take the longest to germinate. I have had a chocolate bhut germinate after 12 weeks of planting. I was just about to throw it out when I saw it peeping through the rockwool. Most should take under 4 weeks though. If the seeds are fresh I find that they can pop up as early as 4 days but usually around 7 - 10 days. This is when planting them in rockwool cubes/ jiffy pots and placing them in a mini greenhouse on a heated mat and misting them with warm water (don't have them soaking and never allow them to dry out completely). Without the heat mat your chances of germinating are far less and take a lot longer.

Recently I have planted a heap of seeds. One lot was without a heatmat and was planted on 15/7. Out of around 100 seeds, 7 have sprouted. on the 27/7 I planted another 60 and placed them on a heat mat and almost everyone has come up. It really does make a diiference.
Hope this helps, keep trying, it is well worth it in the end!

One thing to remember, never bury the seeds too deep, or they were peter out before they can break the surface.

I dont bury mine deeper than a penny, chances are they wont make it to the surface.

Rule of thumb is, the warmer the environment, the quicker the germination, but at a cost of less seeds germinating!

85F is the sweet spot, if you go higher they may pop up quicker but less will germinate, if you go lower, it will take longer and some may not germinate (until you increase the temperature).

Hello ppl, i have had the same probs with bhuts i planted 5 different types and all of them germinated except the bhuts and its been just over 3 weeks now , so im hoping they still germinate.the other 4 types
germinated in like 7 days.

I have got plenty of room so the stragglers in trays are left to see how long they take. I have some seeds especially bhuts that were planted early september just poking their heads up now. Thats not on a heat mat, They get taken off that at about 3 weeks and what hasnt come up just does it in its own time. We had a spell of hot 37C+ weather a week or so ago and a lot came up then so temp definately matters. They are amazingly resiliant things chilli seeds.

it seems as they have removed the time vs temp to germination study that was done at the U of F ag extension place in Imokolee, Florida....but from what I can recall, there is a gradual germination percent increase from 20C (68F) to 30C (86F) and a pretty quick dropoff for temps over 30C....results for temps over 35C were almost nill...

I start somewhere around 2000 seeds a year...what I have found is if I stay with a constant 30C (86F), I have the best germination percent within the alloted time period they have to start...absolutely no trays ever get 2 weeks before it is discard time...

Back