• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Spring has Sprung in Oz

I hope mine look half as good as yours Potawie.

i don't believe it :shocked: Some of those Dorsets are poking up already. What can I say but Highly recommend seed from TheHippySeedCo.

4 days - i'm gobsmacked!

bentalphanerd said:
i don't believe it :shocked: Some of those Dorsets are poking up already. What can I say but Highly recommend seed from TheHippySeedCo.

4 days - i'm gobsmacked!

Understatement, i swear i have more Dorsets come up than what i planted! Chilli magic:hell:

*Bump*

WoooHoooo - my 7-pot plot has pods forming - still too small for a pic but it wont be long now.

the douglah is starting to get leaf curl again :lol: Should I transplant it from pot into the ground with the 7's??

bentalphanerd said:
*Bump*

WoooHoooo - my 7-pot plot has pods forming - still too small for a pic but it wont be long now.

the douglah is starting to get leaf curl again :lol: Should I transplant it from pot into the ground with the 7's??

Who cares? J/K! I really want to see how your potato grow goes (try saying that three times real fast!) and your harvest. You could turn the potato industry, or at least backyard growing, on its head.

Mike

bentalphanerd said:
No 7-pots for you then wordwiz :snooty:

Spuds are ready for their 2nd layer. i have no doubt this will work very well.

I wouldn't do anything but sow them, grow them and grind them up to add to sauce I would give to others. You have to understand, a ripe Hungarian Wax is extremely hot to me. :clap:

Mike

Bent, what size is the 7 pot plant and the pot it's in at the moment and how long has it been in the pot?

From my limited experience, I have found that if you are having trouble with a plant in a pot then (no matter how small it is) it will always benifit from going in the ground!!! If it is still small it will just slow down for a little while then it will grow at a good fast rate...

I always (If time permits) prep the ground soil with thrive and seasol a few times and turn the soil for a few days before planting my chillis in the ground....Seems to help my plants....

Hiya buddy noticed the root Structure on The Douglah was bigger than i thought when i took the plants out..Bigger than 7pots more like a scorpion in root ball size and seems to like room to breath,Get them/It in the ground as soon as possible ;)

bentalphanerd said:
moyboy - its the douglah that's the worry. I think I need to do it. at least its the perfect time of year.

Sorry bent, got my chillis mixed up.

must be all the pressure of moderation.....;)

Transplanted the Douglah today. Put it in a corner where it'll get run-off from the compost pile, so it should be right for nutes.

fingers & toes crossed that it doesn't take the move too hard :(

Bent,

Still waiting on the progress of your taters! Someone told me to try straw and I'm curious how it will work.

Mike

thats what i've been using wordwiz. I put in a thin layer of soil (with more eyes this time) then a thick layer of sugar cane mulch (same as straw)

Will be another month or two before I reach the top of the cage.

Bent Please keep us up to date as my first venture into growing Spuds starts next year and really interested in keeping an eye on yours to see your progress :(

bentalphanerd said:
Will be another month or two before I reach the top of the cage.

Bent,

You do realize that even once the plant gets to the op of the cage, it will keep growing - for at least six weeks. This is when the taters get larger.

I'm hoping you can report you got 35 pounds of spuds from your container! But pix from time to time will be appreciated!

Mike

Yes wordwiz. First attempt I let the plants just grow & topped up cage with soil & hay but they only grew at the first lower layer. Got about 1/2 a bucket full of spuds.
This time eyes added with each layer I'm sure it'll be a good harvest. Only up to the second layer of a 5' cage so will be a while before next harvest. Hopefully by xmas.
Will take some progress pics too :)

Bent...how are your peppers coming along?

Hasn't stopped raining since the storm Sunday...they're saying it'll keep going for a few more days. I'm getting worried about rot & fungus...had a heap of big green pods on my 7-pot.
Haven't been able to build my raised garden beds and all the Nagas are up in the seed tray (also out in the weather)

From what I've seen everything is surviving so far but it needs to dry out soon...and of course that'll mean 40C+

Tom's are loving it though...they've gone triffid :cheers:

Hey bent, did you say it was the Thai or the Asian Birdseye plants that you found grow the quickest in your garden?

I have both, and they both are flowering/fruiting like mad, far quicker than anything else I've planted so far.

Yeah the asian birdseye does well here. seems to take a while to first pods but then fruits all year - winter doesn't seem to bother them either.

Back