• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Thanks Y'all! I enjoy the in laws stays...when they're quiet! :rofl:Food was good...I should make baby backs more often!

Here are some of the peppers and nons...
IMG_1253_zps314358d7.jpg

Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1) left and 7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son) right...

IMG_1252_zpsaa7a4465.jpg

Barrackpore (DocNRock)

IMG_1249_zps904cc277.jpg

HP22B Reaper (DocNRock)

IMG_1246_zps7d2a7b2a.jpg

NUMEX Centennial...You can see I'm starting to get some lower leaf drop on this dude due to the lack of light penetrating the canopy...growth tips still exploding so not worried. Noticed the first open flower on this guy this morning! :party:

IMG_1245_zps29c693b8.jpg

Here they were Friday Night...they seem to have put on another inch since then. The plants on the far right were potted up just before the pic. They could have gone another week maybe in the 3.25" pots, but they were using more water than I could provide during the work week. I came home Wednesday and they were sad looking and got a drink and by Friday some looked cooked and crispy. They all bounced back...but the droopy one you see second from the right..

IMG_1236_zps8ad023b8.jpg

.Romy6 Mystery annuum and although the leaves firmed back up...they stayed contorted...so I removed them. I may even cut and clone the tip of this guy??? Anyway for now he's back to rocking. Comparing these Mysteries with the PI438638 they are similar, but their is a much lower leaf/node count on the mysteries...so they remain just that.

IMG_1234_zps78403d01.jpg

Most of these Explosive Ember flowers are not open...will try to capture that later...these plants are gonna be fun.

IMG_1265_zps848ec8a1.jpg

These two are going away today... :violin: Oh well...leaves room for more keepers!

IMG_1264_zpsec936ce6.jpg

IMG_1261_zpsacae1ad9.jpg

Left these two alone for 5 minutes...on a table that was FULL and small, so I was confident in their safety from my largest pepper pest...however I came back to they had both been mauled. Dunno what it is about pepper plants that cats love so much??? I trimmed the (extensive) damage and put them back under the lights. They're still perdy, but DAMN!

That's 10 for now...all I got are some nons to show you for now. Going to try to pull out a few of the bigger plants and offer some size reference with them later today or tomorrow. Was 80 yesterday will only be around 60 today...still nothing to complain about, but the nights will be frosty too.

Hey, local nursery carries two types of beneficial nematodes...thought about grabbing some for my one and only in-ground growdown contest plant site...thoughts??? We have terrible HUGE grubs here from June and Japanese beetles...

Happy Sunday errybody! Will post some nons with a bump!
Shane

Thanks Mega!!! Here are the nons...
IMG_1267_zps08bd1a36.jpg

Ranunculus

IMG_1268_zps2590b826.jpg

Ranunculus

IMG_1269_zps15bb1580.jpg

Ranunculus

IMG_1270_zps5ae23fbe.jpg

Ranunculus

IMG_1274_zps6c8ad934.jpg

Gazania (thanks for the ID John!)...they fold up the flowers at night then open in the morning. They are very popular here, I see them on roadsides growing unattended and in landscaping everywhere...

IMG_1280_zps840db50a.jpg

Here are the flowers once open...

IMG_1279_zpsf1bdb47a.jpg

...and a wider shot of the plant. Needs some dead heading. I had this one bedded and recently transplanted into this pot.

IMG_1266_zps1fe128a3.jpg

Finally put the Zinnias outside...if I loose them, I'll just start more. Sheltering them under my potting table on the back porch at night and moving out to harden during the day for now.

IMG_1250_zps48202210.jpg

the rest of the lilies went outside too...this one is a Firecracker.

IMG_1251_zpsb54bf92b.jpg

Just the top of one of the lilies...thought it looked cool.

All right done pestering you all with pics...for now... :rofl:

Morning Shane!

Not certain, but those look like Gazanias to me.

http://www.gardengui...eeds-bulbs.html

I was browsing through all of your plant pictures, and suddenly realized that it will be about 4 months before mine are that size!!! Mine are finally showing some true leaves, but man is it slow going. Just had my first annuum pop today. At least those should take off faster.

Great job on the grow, the food, and even the flowers! :P

Lots going on at Casa de Shane, eh? It looks like your older chiles are growing an inch a week. Loved the foodie pics and flowers too. The unnamed yellow flower looked like some kind of Helianthus. Good on ya Chief... keep on keepin' on!

You've got a jungle going on Tarzan.....hah. Pepper plants look great. I know your outdoor planting date is well before mine, if I had those large plants indoors I'd be worried, By the time I'd move them outdoors they'ed already be in 2 gal pots...........yikes.........been there done that.

The flowers look cool, bright colors on a wintery day. I like the barrel feature.

Zinnia's are pretty hardy, although frost screening or a larger carboard box would help out with the cold night time weather

Beneficial Nematodes are what they are........beneficial. They'll eat up any and all larvae. Tha cost ain't cheap though.

Always a pleasure coming here to check thngs out.

You've got some beautiful plants Shane, can't wait to see your garden grow this year. I'm really liking the look of the Nu-Mex Twilight. Nice job buddy.

What.?! Chicken and ribs and not smoked?! Great looking plants. That garage setup is rocking. And I apologize for contributing to your sowing addiction. I know. I've been doing it since march of 2012!!

Flowers look great. Wish my zinnias would grow up already. Are you using MG for them?! I feel ya on the grubs. Notorious and don't care whether be soil or containers

Sorry about the cat problem you have there.

What.?! Chicken and ribs and not smoked?! Great looking plants. That garage setup is rocking. And I apologize for contributing to your sowing addiction. I know. I've been doing it since march of 2012!!

Flowers look great. Wish my zinnias would grow up already. Are you using MG for them?! I feel ya on the grubs. Notorious and don't care whether be soil or containers

Sorry about the cat problem you have there.
They were smoked...just finished on the grill for glaze. MG for all my crap...I know its not one of the popular soils on here for many reasons, but it works...WELL! Keep waiting on Monsanto to come across my thread and offer me some $$$ for the free add. :rofl:

You've got some beautiful plants Shane, can't wait to see your garden grow this year. I'm really liking the look of the Nu-Mex Twilight. Nice job buddy.
Thanks Dave! Actually a Numex Centennial...very similar, but with purple flowers and deeper foliage.

Morning Shane!

Not certain, but those look like Gazanias to me.

http://www.gardengui...eeds-bulbs.html

I was browsing through all of your plant pictures, and suddenly realized that it will be about 4 months before mine are that size!!! Mine are finally showing some true leaves, but man is it slow going. Just had my first annuum pop today. At least those should take off faster.

Great job on the grow, the food, and even the flowers! :P
Thanks Bonnie...that's what John (Prodigal_Son) id'd it as as well! Plants are really making me look good so far! Will be pleased if I can manage to keep them that way until plant out!

Now those are some picture perfect chile plants bud. No joke, no wrinkles, flat leaves, healthy green, and their boomin! You got dat chile plant touch my friend! You da man Shane!
Thanks Jamison! There are some wrinkles in there for sure, but nothing I'm worried about just yet!

Lots going on at Casa de Shane, eh? It looks like your older chiles are growing an inch a week. Loved the foodie pics and flowers too. The unnamed yellow flower looked like some kind of Helianthus. Good on ya Chief... keep on keepin' on!
Always a bunch going on over here!!! Too much weekend to cram into two days...good thing I got three this weekend!

We love pics! And yours are awesome! Glad to see everything up and coming. Barrackpore, HP22B, plants flowering up, cool nons, nice doggie...all looks good at Casa de Shane!
Yup, managed to make a few sprout! :dance: Will only be keeping one each anyway in the end, so as long as I can keep them healthy I got all I need! Thanks for the props Doc!

You've got a jungle going on Tarzan.....hah. Pepper plants look great. I know your outdoor planting date is well before mine, if I had those large plants indoors I'd be worried, By the time I'd move them outdoors they'ed already be in 2 gal pots...........yikes.........been there done that.

The flowers look cool, bright colors on a wintery day. I like the barrel feature.

Zinnia's are pretty hardy, although frost screening or a larger carboard box would help out with the cold night time weather

Beneficial Nematodes are what they are........beneficial. They'll eat up any and all larvae. Tha cost ain't cheap though.

Always a pleasure coming here to check thngs out.
Yeah...$20 per pouch. Was hoping they would have some predatory mites too, but no such luck. Will probably try the nematodes just to see how they do. Tons of BIG nasty grubs here. Always an honor when the master visits!

Gee Shane!!! You don't post any questionable or bad pics!! Your pepper plants...AWESOME. Your plant pics...AWESOME. Your foodie pics...AWESOME and DELICIOUS looking!! Great job. Oh and good thing you gotta type to post on here since my mouth is nicely on fire after using your Primo powder on some pizza!! Awesome stuff keep it up!!

Mike

Chicken and ribs, ribs and chicken. Ribbs, chicken, ribbs, and chicken. My oh my.

Oh the plants look good to:)
I know right? What freakin plants!

Gee Shane!!! You don't post any questionable or bad pics!! Your pepper plants...AWESOME. Your plant pics...AWESOME. Your foodie pics...AWESOME and DELICIOUS looking!! Great job. Oh and good thing you gotta type to post on here since my mouth is nicely on fire after using your Primo powder on some pizza!! Awesome stuff keep it up!!

Mike
Thanks Mike...careful with that Primo stuff...made the mistake of making some Primo poppers for a party last year...the two dudes that ate them still aren't talking to me! :rofl:
Well...I decided one more round of photo-overload couldn't hurt...just wanted to show something.

Rick metioned growth of an inch a week...so I potted up 8 days ago on the 9th. Here is the before...
P1020837_zps7369a1be.jpg

Here they are on the 9th in their new shoes...see all the nice open space between them!

IMG_1294_zpsd4d0c9a1.jpg

...and today. Back to square one with the crowding! Great problem to have!!! Some of the plants have been shuffled between trays due to height issues, but most of these are the same plants. You'll notice the two Goat's weed in the back right of the first pic are missing...They were moved to the other tray but...

IMG_1291_zpsf0a1f475.jpg

Here they are...the growth habit on these is different than the ones I grew out last year, bushier. Think I am gonna like it! Hope the pods are upright on these...

IMG_1292_zps4bfe09da.jpg

Lighting wasn't great, but I tried...Here we have L-R Belize City Scotch Bonnet from Greg (Pic1)-7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)

IMG_1293_zps1af8c02f.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)-Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (Silver Surfer via Romy6) Excited about both of these...John's Yellow 7's last year were picture perfect and HUGE!

IMG_1296_zpsdf61716f.jpg

Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)-Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)

IMG_1297_zpsbbc551a6.jpg

another Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (Silver Surfer via Romy6)-Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son) another exciting one...John's IC's were some of the gnarliest out there last year!

IMG_1298_zps62bacc26.jpg

another Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son) and Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)

Aight that's REALLY if for now...Promise! :liar: I have Two more trays in the 5 1/4" pots now and starting tray 3 of smaller pots...more potting up to do soon, but next weekend is a Vegas trip...so I may have trouble. Will be peeking in on you all's stuff when I can!
Shane

I hear you on the cat issue. Mine had to taste all of the leaves, you could see teeth marks on them. I don't mind a little nibble here and there but when they start digging I get the squirt gun out. You definitely have a green thumb Shane.

Question for you, I've noticed a few folks posting pics of food in their glogs. For why how come? ;)

Keep up the great work!

Not sure if I am growing gazania this year or not. They are one of my favorite flowers though. Your plants are looking great! I like the different leaves on the chinense varieties. I think they are a very cool looking plant when they are at the stage yours are currently. I know your plant out is around the corner so I am sending some good vibes to ward off the disease issue! This has been textbook and flawless so far and I want to see you take it home in similar or greater fashion!

Your plants look awesome! I can only hope to achieve that indoors this season. Mine were not even that big when they hit the soil outdoors last season! Looking forward to watching the production yours put out.

Back