• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Nice Shane, those plants are coming along and the non-peppers are beautiful. I especially like that old barrel water feature you have, really cool!

Have a great week and Happy Monday :)

dang those plants look nice and happy all snuggled with some brew.
Thanks Sic! They do love their beer! Having a cold spell here too...little ice on the windshield this morning. Hope your warm weather returns soon and you can get your little ones out the door.

I hear you on the cat issue. Mine had to taste all of the leaves, you could see teeth marks on them. I don't mind a little nibble here and there but when they start digging I get the squirt gun out. You definitely have a green thumb Shane.

Question for you, I've noticed a few folks posting pics of food in their glogs. For why how come? ;)

Keep up the great work!
My damn cat doesn't just nibble, clears the leaves completely one branch at a time, but not before sampling every branch on the plant to mangle them all. Ughhh! Yeah, the foodie pics on the grow side...hmmmm. I view them as "harvest" shots. The meals I share always involve pods, sauce or powder I made...or someone sent to me. In this case both. The BBQ sauce was from my Yellow Bhuts and Manzanos and some of the powder was from my Red Lanterns...but most of all some was some awesome powder from Dave (gnslngr). It just may give some of the new growers some thoughts and plans about how to process their harvest??? Oh...and I just really LOVE food!!!! :rofl: To each his own I suppose.

Wow impressive growth! Keep this up and they will be monsters in no time
Thanks Mega! Now go cut your grass!!! :rofl:

Not sure if I am growing gazania this year or not. They are one of my favorite flowers though. Your plants are looking great! I like the different leaves on the chinense varieties. I think they are a very cool looking plant when they are at the stage yours are currently. I know your plant out is around the corner so I am sending some good vibes to ward off the disease issue! This has been textbook and flawless so far and I want to see you take it home in similar or greater fashion!
Mine were picked up at the local nursery last year. Never grew them before, but won't be the last time for sure. They are cool plants, and very hearty. I had seen them in local landscapes blooming year round. Are they slow growers from seed...haven't seen any live plants around so was thinking of buying some seeds. I also bought some more columbine after your comment about them..."William Guiness" only other seeds they had. Hope I can push them to bloom late in the season...but if not I will have some strong plants by next spring.

Outstanding Shane! They look amazing! What kinda soil you got them bad boys in again?
Thanks Jamison...I hate bringing up my soil because it stirs up such a fuss with all the haters...I am growing in Miracle Grow Moisture Control. I tried close to a dozen different soils last year, and it performed best by far. Happy Frog did pretty well, but didn't keep up with the MG. With my crazy life, not having to keep a crazy feeding/watering schedule really helped me out. For some reason folks seem to take their soil choice so personal??? I think everyone should grow with what they know...MG is available at 4 stores within 5 miles of my house to boot...and for cheap.

Your plants look awesome! I can only hope to achieve that indoors this season. Mine were not even that big when they hit the soil outdoors last season! Looking forward to watching the production yours put out.
Thanks JHP...I was looking at my shelves this morning trying to figure out what the heck I am going to do when they're all in the 5.25" pots...gonna be tight but I think I have the room.

Nice Shane, those plants are coming along and the non-peppers are beautiful. I especially like that old barrel water feature you have, really cool!

Have a great week and Happy Monday :)
Happy Monday to you too RM! I have off, so its even happier...plus I have off Friday for a Vegas trip! :dance: The water feature is showing its age...which is making it look better. Been thinking of converting it to a hydro system...hmmmmm.

The gazania definitely don't grow as fast as zinnia!!! I am not sure if they would be perennial for you as far in from the coast as you are. They have maybe 50 kinds,trailing and clumping. Takes them a bit to get going up here but when it gets hot and dry they take off. They can go forever without water.

Your plants, flowers and pics all look beautiful! At this rate you'll have some monsters by plant out. Mine plants won't look like yours do now until May. Very nice work brother!

w00t great pics, lots of growth and killer foodie tied into pepper growing … keep on jamming! You must be piping in the same tunes that Greg’s been playing for his plants as every little ting looking alright mon ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Great pics, food and all. I had to skim the glog to get caught up (and not get hungry), but I'll following this from here on out.

Man, incredible growth in just one week. Your grow is going to pass mine up in 3...2......1!
They're gonna outgrow my space :dance: !!! They are growing so fast that I already had to raise the lights again. Reviewing the pics from Friday looks as though I had a good 3+ inches. The Belize City Scotch Bonnet from Greg, the PI438638's from Jamie and my Goat's Weeds are taking the cake now. Early on the Ornamentals shot up...but they have just about maxed out height wise and are just filling in and...
IMG_1315_zps3cee7a76.jpg

Putting on a flower show...

P1020854_zps6fe6a5be.jpg

But wait...
IMG_1314_zps0c2dcdb6.jpg

Dead center...hard to tell, but if you look closely you will see the first pod of the season...or at least the first one with flower off. Explosive Ember...Maybe a dozen fading flowers so many more inbound...the water droplets on the flower have me confused...I only bottom water, and haven't misted them yet??? Then I notice it's on ALL the flowers on all the plants...nectar?

Also spent yesterday tilling, weeding and preparing the flower beds...well now they're flower beds. I used them all for peppers last year so I'm giving them at least a year off hoping due to the virus issues...anyone know how long PMMoV stays in the soil??? Most of the research I've read is "several years" or until all plant material is completely broken down...ughhh. So on that subject as I was working the beds I found a few surprises...
IMG_1303_zpsc98223c2.jpg

IMG_1302_zpsd8313ec3.jpg

IMG_1301_zps37708f3c.jpg

IMG_1304_zps4270f15e.jpg

In spite of several nights in the mid 20's and nightly frosts...I found 7 little ornamental Thai volunteers that had sprung up...These plants were no where near the house, nor did they have any sort of overhanging frost protection from neighboring plants...Gonna be tough keeping my grow clean. Found dozens of pods and hundreds of seeds as well...ughhh. Oh well fingers crossed on this end.

Never all bad news on my end though...
IMG_1317_zps11ac1c5c.jpg

I'll make it a contest...first person to name the first chinense plant to bud gets a care package! Gonna be pinching these...several of the Chinenses are getting their first main fork and have the beginnings of little buds on them...but this one is the winner...so what's her name folks??? Care package can go anywhere so first correct response from anywhere in the world will win.

That's all I got folks...took these pics at 3am this morning so not the best...but excited...first pod and first chinense buds...gonna be a great year even if this dumba$$ virus decides to show back up!!!

Shane

Ha........expansion, like a law or accounting firm having to acquire more floors in the building because of the growth.

Man I know what you mean by growth. I just divided 2 trays of 3" pots into 4+ trays of 5.25" pots. I'm slowly using up grow space and bags of medium. I have 40 bags of Bx sitting in the garage. I'm bringing in 3 at a time to warm them up to room temp....some of the bags were still semi-frozen from last weeks purchase.

Your Goats Weed plants are looking stout. Mine are only four fingers tall...ha, a measurement from the old days. But they are ready to be moved to the larger pots. I hope to have flowers on them soon.

I usually don't have pepper volunteer's coming up just tomatoes but my sister always has the "Fish" plants returning to the "sea of green". They are easy to spot because of the white variegation...

Anyways its always a "slice" (no food pun intended in the glogs) to dine-in here...

They're gonna outgrow my space!!! They are growing so fast that I already had to raise the lights again.
w00t that’s a good thing!

Reviewing the pics from Friday looks as though I had a good 3+ inches.
I need that Midas touch, share dem secrets ¬_¬ love dat look on the Goat’s Weed and Belize SB, as well as the rest … every little ting is lookin alright, hmm is that a Bob Marley song, well call me a plagiarist :D but it’s true! And the flowers pics look great … Congrats on the first pod from your EE …

anyone know how long PMMoV stays in the soil??? Most of the research I've read is "several years" or until all plant material is completely broken down...ughhh. …
Pass IDK but will be an interesting read for me. Nice find in the garden \o/

… I'll make it a contest...first person to name the first chinense plant to bud gets a care package! …
Shane, now that’s the way to run a contest, not even the commercial guys are shipping abroad from the contests they’ve posted here, hats off for dat mon \o_ ... and good luck to all that enter ^_^

Ha........expansion, like a law or accounting firm having to acquire more floors in the building because of the growth.

Man I know what you mean by growth. I just divided 2 trays of 3" pots into 4+ trays of 5.25" pots. I'm slowly using up grow space and bags of medium. I have 40 bags of Bx sitting in the garage. I'm bringing in 3 at a time to warm them up to room temp....some of the bags were still semi-frozen from last weeks purchase.

Your Goats Weed plants are looking stout. Mine are only four fingers tall...ha, a measurement from the old days. But they are ready to be moved to the larger pots. I hope to have flowers on them soon.

I usually don't have pepper volunteer's coming up just tomatoes but my sister always has the "Fish" plants returning to the "sea of green". They are easy to spot because of the white variegation...

Anyways its always a "slice" (no food pun intended in the glogs) to dine-in here...

Wonder what else you were getting that was 4 fingers back in the day! :high:
Shane just incredible bud, especially for MG :rofl: Just kiddin man!

Back