• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Shane! First off, the undergrowth is just amazing. Pods left and right. Broomhandle stalks, no question. Keep it up, man! I can't believe how fast your grow is coming up! Those Aji Yellows get huge fast. Mine is a tad over five feet. I even saw a couple of sparrows hanging out in it the other day.

Awesome!

Awesome update Shane! That romy6 mystery is HUGE!! Mine was growing straight up without forking too and I thought it was something I was doing wrong. But I see now that seems to be the growth habit of it. I topped mine to make it fork, so mine won't get near that big. Your plants look awesome my friend!

I started looking at this yesterday and the dinner bell rang, so I didn't have a chance to comment on how great things look.

I can see the difference in getting things up and running early, the explosive growth on the ones you trimmed is fantastic!

Pods everywhere and that Romy's Mystery broom stick, wow! Now that's gonna be a tall plant.

Keep it up!

Looking good Shane, really good bud! I'm thirsty for a Fat Tire for some reason ;)
Yeah...the more you drink them, the thirstier you get for them! Thanks man!

Shane,
Great to have you back, love the stalks … that certainly corrects the myth that indoor plants have wimpy stalks when they get outdoors. Well if they’re done right as you have demonstrated they’re every bit as good and den some.

Love those Cardi yellows from Jamie (Romy6), super tasty! Great looking pods on Greg’s Belize City Scotch Bonnet, bet they're going to taste great too! I wouldn’t know about any weather or bug set backs other than you mentioning them, cause from the look of all the pictures every ting else looks awesome too!

Keep up dat great grow and I can’t wait to see everything color up like your nons have already demonstrated … yea they look killer. Have a great week mon ^_^
Great to be (somewhat) back...crazy times, it never ends. Just glad I have the plants on somewhat autopilot mode. My plants sure did me proud with their broom handles...I think they did it in spite of me, not because of. The Yellow Cardi is a bit different than the one I grew last year. The plant is more compact, I hope the pods are just as delicious. As far as Greg's Bonnet...well it came from the master, so it's gotta be good! The bugs and weather are there, but almost every plant has at least one resident Lady Bug cruising on it now...and some have 4 or 5...them plus the wasps and it won't be long 'till be get some kind of balance out there. The aphids are never quite gone here, just controlled. Color is on the way...I think in a week or so I will have some ripe Goat's weeds to make some Pico with...Thanks for stopping in brotha!

Dude, that "Belize City Scotch Bonnet Pod from Pic1" on page #29 looks just like the fist of THE HULK!

The flower on that "Nasturtium" is very unusual. What does the pod look like?

Do you use that 1/4-inch soaker-tube ring connected to your 1/4-inch spaghetti tubing, in all of your pots? Soaker hoses never work here because they add so much lime to our municipal water, that the calcium plugs up the pores.

I'd like to try a ring like that with the 1/4-inch tubing with emitters built into the tubing every 6,9 or 12 inches.

http://www.dripworks...soaker-dripline

Do you eat the nasturtiums?

We all want a place like yours Brother!
Dude...that bonnet may look like Hulks fist, but its only the size of my thumbnail. the first few are always stunted. Haha...nasturtium pods. I snack on a leaf or two from time to time, and may throw some in a salad. They're more for mama to stare at out the window...and hide more pepper plants behind. The soaker rings are only on the biggest pots. Hard water clogs the soaker tubing as you said, so it will have to be replaced periodically. They do work well though, and I am contemplating replacing all the drippers with them. The rest of the pots currently have 1gph drippers on them, and although the water doesn't spread well on top, I have drip pans that catch the water underneath then it gets soaked back up bottom water style, so it works well too. I used almost all drippers last year with great results. I am only home on weekends...and MAYBE one day during the week, so autopilot is a must.

Great update Shane! Glad to see the poddage and the sprawling undergrowth! Weather looks great in Cali today.

I'll second that! I can see Shane now swiggin' a Fat Tire while takin pics, bout haf gone by pic 5.
Right now I am sitting in the Barracks swigging a Heineken...but it works! Weather is great for now, I think Wednesday and Thursday highs are only in the 60s with lows still in the upper 40s. I know the northerners are Jealous...but we pay a lot of money for great socal weather, so I expect it!

Shane! First off, the undergrowth is just amazing. Pods left and right. Broomhandle stalks, no question. Keep it up, man! I can't believe how fast your grow is coming up! Those Aji Yellows get huge fast. Mine is a tad over five feet. I even saw a couple of sparrows hanging out in it the other day.

Awesome!
Thanks Doc...I still have a few that are holding off on podding, but no complaints, I am WAY ahead of where I was this time last year. Hope I can keep them disease free and actually overwinter a couple (dozen) plants this year! I wonder where I'd be with year old plants right now...My Aji is almost that tall, and growing inches a day. I think it'll get to 8ish feet in the container it's in. I really like the Ajis last year, but they got a very late start and were hit with the mottle virus just as they got going. This plant is already twice the size of the ones I had last year. So fingers crossed! The sparrows and finches are frequenting mine too...and they pick at the leaves a bit, but apparently don't care for them. They do however love the leaves on my daughters sunflowers and will sit and pick at them until they are just a vein leaf skeleton. What's this I hear about a house hunt???

Awesome update Shane! That romy6 mystery is HUGE!! Mine was growing straight up without forking too and I thought it was something I was doing wrong. But I see now that seems to be the growth habit of it. I topped mine to make it fork, so mine won't get near that big. Your plants look awesome my friend!
Thanks! I have two of the mysteries going, and they're both different yet the same...I will try to do a compare/contrast update of the two next weekend. They're both reaching for the sky, but one is more bushy with smaller leaves and smooth stalks, the other (most recently pictured) is a bit taller and fuzzy stalked and less bushy. Jamie said the mother plant's neighbor was a Goat's Weed, so I think I know who the daddy is...the recently pictured one also has some cool stem fuzing going on...will try to capture that as well. Really hope that Goat's Weed cross has pods shaped like mama with the sun-darkening of the goat's weed. If so it will be one very cool looking plant...well it already is, it'll just be cooler! You topped yours...and it may not grow as big as mine, but size doesn't matter right??? :liar:

HUGE PLANTS YOU HAVE BROTHEREN :onfire: :party: :dance: :fireball:
Lol...I just watched your vid, so don't tell me I got some big plants! Your 2-3 year olds would eat mine for a breakfast appetizer!

I started looking at this yesterday and the dinner bell rang, so I didn't have a chance to comment on how great things look.

I can see the difference in getting things up and running early, the explosive growth on the ones you trimmed is fantastic!

Pods everywhere and that Romy's Mystery broom stick, wow! Now that's gonna be a tall plant.

Keep it up!
I hear ya...when that dinner bell rings, the last thing on my mind is pics of someone else' plants! Thanks for stopping back in! The trimming works...will make it tough to harvest with the bushiness, but it's worth it. Anywhere the sun can hit a node the plants will put out a new branch...That mystery plant and its brother may have to get some bigger shoes soon...I am already worried that it will be prone to tipping over in the wind. Goat's Weeds have very shallow root systems in comparison to other plants their size, so it may be alright??? We shall see, if I see roots poking out of the drain holes I'll pot them up.

Thanks for stopping in folks...I will do all I can to be on more often. Ignore any typos and blame them on the Heineken!
Shane

***That was written last night, but I couldn't post it as THP was down for maintenance***

Thanks Doc...I still have a few that are holding off on podding, but no complaints, I am WAY ahead of where I was this time last year. Hope I can keep them disease free and actually overwinter a couple (dozen) plants this year! I wonder where I'd be with year old plants right now...My Aji is almost that tall, and growing inches a day. I think it'll get to 8ish feet in the container it's in. I really like the Ajis last year, but they got a very late start and were hit with the mottle virus just as they got going. This plant is already twice the size of the ones I had last year. So fingers crossed! The sparrows and finches are frequenting mine too...and they pick at the leaves a bit, but apparently don't care for them. They do however love the leaves on my daughters sunflowers and will sit and pick at them until they are just a vein leaf skeleton. What's this I hear about a house hunt???

Here's to a virus-free season!

And yes, you hear correctly. ;)

Shane,another great update. Still looks clean and no signs of disease!!!! Sending good plant mojo out your way to keep that stuff at bay.
Those Belize City Bonnets look like a deflated speed bag to me. Can't wait to try some bonnets this year. Weather is getting close here.Today might have been the nicest day in history,against my better judgement I let the kids come out and soak it up alittle.

Just caught up - lots of bushy undergrowth. Nice! And yeah, those Belize City Bonnets are cool to look at and wonder if mine will ever get going. Strange shaped pods, but cool looking and I'm excited to see how they taste. I was also curious if you ate any of the Nasturtiums since I'm growing those this year as well. At least I'm trying. I've had a little trouble getting some of them to germinate. Anyway, great updates and things are looking great for you! Nice work!

Quick update...on the way to a retirement and don't have time for responses, but I'll get to them...

gallery_5729_82_5162026.jpg

Mysteries are unfolding...here is Romy's Mystery Pheno 1

gallery_5729_82_222306.jpg

And here is Pheno 2...Huge flowers on these dudes!!!

gallery_5729_82_2192445.jpg

Sandwiched between them it the Goat's Weed...100s of pods on this guy, a couple soon to change I hope! Seems as though they can't decide whether to wear their flowers as skirts or hats???

gallery_5729_82_694507.jpg

Here is that corner of the pool deck...Pequin (Sawdust), Mystery 1(Romy6), Goat's Weed, Mystery 2(Romy6) and PI 438638(Romy6)

gallery_5729_82_3599952.jpg

This bad boy is finally opening some up...HP22B (DocNrock)

gallery_5729_82_2458269.jpg

Not to be outdone...the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet is opening some too...lots of them!!!

gallery_5729_82_4143757.jpg

None of them with the patented 6 petals...but I'm alright with that.

gallery_5729_82_3807348.jpg

Some don't even have 5!!!

gallery_5729_82_3280049.jpg

Explosive Ember Says "Been there done that!"

gallery_5729_82_5101272.jpg

Finally someone asked me about my Manzano...here she is! Damn pool is the wrong color again!

Aight folks I am out...will be back on in a bit to answer all the great posts on here! Here's to a kick a$$ Weekend! :cheers:

Shane looks awesome as always! Your Birgits are blowing up, as are the rest of your plants (and not in the way Porter would like). Beautiful flower shots. I'm just now getting my first buds. I can only hope my grow goes as well as yours this year. Keep it coming Bro. You're a beast!

It's all looking fantastic, Shane! Those plants in the corner are monsters! Why is it that mystery plants grow so large? ;) That PI 438638 reminds me of "Cousin It!" Glad to see the HP22B flowering up for you. Mine has finally set a couple of pods after dropping flowers left and right. Hopefully yours will bypass that phase. Keep it up, brotha!

Sorry for my late response. Everything is looking kick ass brohamulus!!!!!!!!
Thanks RTF...no such thing as late over here. Hard to keep up with mine...not to mention the other bajillion glogs this year!

Very nice Shane, your really coming along now that you have it outside. Just watch out for the Wasp Sortes, "INCOMING!!!!"
I welcome all the wasps that wanna come on by. The aphids are dwindling quickly between them and the hoard of ladybugs/larvae out there. Finally on top of things!

Here's to a virus-free season!

And yes, you hear correctly. ;)
Hope so...so far so good! Good luck on your search!

Shane,another great update. Still looks clean and no signs of disease!!!! Sending good plant mojo out your way to keep that stuff at bay.
Those Belize City Bonnets look like a deflated speed bag to me. Can't wait to try some bonnets this year. Weather is getting close here.Today might have been the nicest day in history,against my better judgement I let the kids come out and soak it up alittle.
Thanks brother...I'll need some luck for sure. I have been on top of the volunteers, but still find wild Nightshade almost daily. With the bug #'s on the decline my odds are going up! Those bonnets won't be winning any beauty contests for sure...but as long as their flavor and numbers are good...I am perfectly fine with that!

Just caught up - lots of bushy undergrowth. Nice! And yeah, those Belize City Bonnets are cool to look at and wonder if mine will ever get going. Strange shaped pods, but cool looking and I'm excited to see how they taste. I was also curious if you ate any of the Nasturtiums since I'm growing those this year as well. At least I'm trying. I've had a little trouble getting some of them to germinate. Anyway, great updates and things are looking great for you! Nice work!
They're bushing up nicely for sure...yours will be along shortly. The advantages of high zone #s are hard to overcome, but you'll make it happen! I do occasionally eat a leaf off the Nasturtium...described as peppery by others, and that's pretty close, but it is a unique flavor that you'll just have to sample for yourself to get. All the info I could find said to plant them in soil that wasn't rich...but last year they did so poor, I went against that advice and they're loving it!

Shane looks awesome as always! Your Birgits are blowing up, as are the rest of your plants (and not in the way Porter would like). Beautiful flower shots. I'm just now getting my first buds. I can only hope my grow goes as well as yours this year. Keep it coming Bro. You're a beast!
My Birgits are growing like weeds! and in spite of being planted 2.5 months after the rest of them...they've passed most and hopefully will pass the rest in short order! Hopefully they stay clean and do well...but it ain't all peaches and cream out there. Some of my "not so great" stuff in the pics below...

Looking good Shane! Lots of flowers and pods.

I see all those trimmed plants are starting to fill out, looks like you'll be well into pods before the heat comes.
They are filling in nicely, and will probably really start to bush out now...explanation to follow with the update.

Great looking blooms Shane... I expect in another 3-4 weeks you'll be picking Chinense pods. You're gonna post pics of the season's first poppers aren't you? :drooling:
Those Mystery plants have the coolest flowers...larger than a quarter! Both plants with 7 petal flowers predominantly. The pheno 2 has some 5 and sixes though. Poppers haven't happened in a while...and I didn't plant any Jals, but it's about that time. Maybe next weekend!

Lovin all dem smexy flower shots, great photoging mon ^_^
Tanks Mon! I am a try hard wanna be with the camera, but I hold my own. We got the new fancy DSLR but I still reach for the little point and shoot. Just easier and fits in a pocket.

It's all looking fantastic, Shane! Those plants in the corner are monsters! Why is it that mystery plants grow so large? ;) That PI 438638 reminds me of "Cousin It!" Glad to see the HP22B flowering up for you. Mine has finally set a couple of pods after dropping flowers left and right. Hopefully yours will bypass that phase. Keep it up, brotha!
I'm sure it'll drop a few before it gets some traction, but the weather is finally on point, so they'll all start podding up before too long.

Well as mentioned a couple times above, there is some bad along with the good. Obviously the bugs are #1 culprit, but my water timer is at fault some too. It is a two station timer, and although I double checked it the one for the peppers has been going off every day in spite of being set for every third day. I was wondering why they were staying water logged??? I reset it and hopefully it will start to do right. If not the valve may be stuck in there, and it will have to be replaced. Here are the pics from today...I started filming a video, but ran out of memory, so pics it is for now.
gallery_5729_82_1592861.jpg

Here is how the mite-infested tops of most of my plants looked. Not all though. This one wasn't the worst, but before I started taking pics I had already started surgery to remove the worst looking stuff.

gallery_5729_82_2300732.jpg

Here is how they looked post surgery...I left the buds but not much else up top. This should make the lower growth really take off until some new nodes take over as primary on top. This is the 7 Pot Rennie (Armac via KingDenniz)

gallery_5729_82_535622.jpg

This is the Fatalii from seed Andy sent. I topped this one last weekend and it is already starting to thank me for it!

gallery_5729_82_1870420.jpg

Here is another not so great...the one in the upper right is an Anaheim and the other two are Big Jims...I ran out of potting soil and I used garden soil for the top 8 or so inches in this container...I dug them up and used the real deal MGMC. Should be a quick difference. Hope to come home to a big improvement here by next weekend. Yeah...I know they'll be crowded!

Another battle has been between me and the Raccoons. They have snuck in a couple nights and torn up my aerator setup on my kelp/fish brew. I was about to run out and buy replacement tubing and airstones, but I decided to try something else...
gallery_5729_82_1665948.jpg

I used the 1/4 inch drip line with a small piece of soaker on the end and it works like a champ!

gallery_5729_82_2277354.jpg

7 Pot white(SoCalChilihead) is starting to open some flowers now...Excited about this one. Only white podded plants I've grown are white bullet habs last year, and they were some of the first dead once the virus hit. Wish I'd have started some of those white Devil's Tongues as well...maybe next year.

gallery_5729_82_800690.jpg

Here is the (not) PI438638 (Romy6) This plant has maybe 500 pods on it??? Some are starting to show some color!

gallery_5729_82_2664760.jpg

Here is the tallest of my Birgits with Porter giving me the never-ending stank-eye in the background along with a Manzano in the background. There was a huge bush in front of that fence where you can see the PVC in the ground...that was yesterday's project with my son...was a chore, but we got it up without having to fix the sprinkler line. Next up is tearing down that fence...but gotta wait until the landlord comes up with some $$$!

gallery_5729_82_977596.jpg

Here is about half the pepper army...

gallery_5729_82_3823824.jpg

And here is the other half along with the pups...acting like they worked hard to pull that stump out! Pool looking blueish again! Only home on weekends may help the plants, but it's hell on clean pools!

Thanks for stopping by everybody! Hope your weekend was as great as mine!

Looking beautiful Shane. I really love your garden setup. It's a pepper haven. Damn.....your Brigit's is starting to take off ey....lol. I'm putting mine out in the sun tomorrow...the race is on.

Great update Shane! Lovin the Goat's Weed hoola girls! Somethin about the Hp22b that gets me hyped up! wannaa see dem pods! Oh no, broad mites! tell Porter to get the big guns! Post surgery pics lookin proper! I still get a few mites on my leaves from time to time. Gotta nip em in the butt! Get em early and prune them invaders as they come. Man, you got flowers and pods galore! Puppies holdin down the fort. Phenomenal grow brother!

Back