• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Nice deer in da bag, I’m amazed you have any space in da freezer with all them pods taking up space, hehehe ;) Love da back yard tree, great to read you all had a great family get together in TX and hat’s off to dem wonderful pepper love gifts from Paul and la muchacha. Hab a great weekend brethren!

Shane, your glog just always offers up something new and different.  
Just looking at that buck makes me want some venison!

I hope you are well, bro, I know what you mean about not being to get ,
on the forum all the time, but when you put somtin' up, it's first class
all the way!

Kudos on a great season!

OK Shane, it's time you started showing off the sauce talent in the Hot Sauce threads. That's a really beautiful color on that sauce and it looks like you have the fermentation process down nicely. I'll say they're RM approved :)

Nice to have some Venison in the freezer. Think I have 1 package left and a little pork from last year but the boss said his is stuffed and if he gets any more it's mine. That's the kind of boss I like having.

Glad to see your doing well and that backyard Christmas Tree is amazing.

Merry Christmas Brother! 

Ok...so I am getting lazy late in the season!!! Both on the glog and in the garden. I am long overdue to go out and till the flower beds under and maybe start some winter crops...or maybe not!!! :rofl:

The story of the deer...well my son was "supposed" to take it, but unfortunately he couldn't get a clear shot and the deer kept moving so he told me to take it. Would've been his first...damn. We tried three more days, but only one other opportunity presented itself and he showed the maturity once again to not take a shot he wasn't comfortable with...I am very proud that he showed that restraint! Maybe next season we'll get him one in the bag. Most of the venison went to my dad who no longer hunts, but loves to eat it. I brought home a couple packs of backstrap that I will put to use today or tomorrow. 

Thank you all for the compliments on the sauces...the Big Jim Green Chile sauce gets rave reviews from all that have sampled it. I am still learning on the chinense based sauces and am finding out that sweet is easier to master than savory with them. I have had a couple "back to the sauce pan" moments, but am finally getting a few to brag about. The Monster Romy Mystery Pods I have fermented were a fail...their flavor and aroma are very pungent and not at all flattering...I tried some different things with them...and finally found a way to use them in a spicy Ketchup that's really good...

Mr Frosty has been here every night lately and the lights on the giant Birgit seem to bee working. I plan to wrap the plant in some cheesecloth and hopefully the combination of the cloth and the lights are enough to see it through. We are having much colder weather much earlier than we did last year. Some of the plants have given up...others are still hanging on but looking pretty rough...the Birgits, will its still blooming and setting pods!!!! :crazy: 

Here are a few pics!!!

D8miYCl.jpg

First another awesome care package from my buddy Dave (gnslngr)!!! A Shiner t-shirt and a couple sauces...he says the Brown is Brown 7...and the Red is Red 7...Hmmmm, there may have been a slight mixup??? I can't see a color difference??? One thing is certain...they'll both be really freakin good! Dave is one of the best at sauce around!!!

f69KNIx.jpg

Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab still hanging on by a thread. and loaded down with pods. Seeds from John (Pr0digal_son) he aquired them from Chris (cmpman1974).

gLvRLL1.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet flanked by a Monster Infinity near side and a (not) Reaper on the far side. Seeds for this guy from Greg (Pic1)...

Hr4c9CE.jpg

Another from Greg...Belize City Scotch Bonnet...flanked by the (Not) Reaper near side and a Fatalii on the far side...

dtCcYPD.jpg

Here is the Fatalii a little closer up...apologies for the rushes photos. Seeds from pods Andy (Pulpiteer) sent last season. 

dRi0zhy.jpg

White 7 Pot seeds from Fernando (socalchilehead) looking really rough. Pods are still firm but this one is done...

PHRJNum.jpg

Here is how the Birgits looks!!! Hahahaha...it has lost a few perimiter leaves up top, but it's still blooming and setting some pods...freaking crazy plant!!! Lush and green in spite of the nightly frosts.

dU9Ndz2.jpg

The Pequin has been moved to the back porch against the glass windows...it should overwinter right there with no help.

hTNeS6b.jpg

Another batch of sauces...finished!!! Here is one of the new ones...Apple Cinnamon Smoked Scotch Bonnet...mmmmm.

aa8PUuW.jpg

Here they are...Ketch-hell is the spicy Ketchup...

Thanks for checking in folks!!! I got some picking to do, so stay tuned!!!
Shane

Amazing to see all those pods on your plants.  Too bad you can't
throw a blanket over the whole yard!  Can't wait to see what kind
of harvest you come up with out of all that, Shane!  Also, nice do
on the sauces!

All I can say is those babies have been dialed in all season Shane!

After today's picking and a little more work it's rest time....NOT! I know the babies have to be sprouted.

Sauces look great, I'm with ya on a failed ferment. I have one that I did and not sure what to do with it...Oh well.

Enjoy your weekend!

Mixed up....its possible, with no real red smoked poddage(from being everywhere but home this year), I boosted the smoke with a pac of Jamies powder, and a bit of roasted brown powder.We had a mobe get bumped up ,and it was "now or never" time, so the items got tossed in a box before I lit out at midnight.2 days later, the wait part of "hurry up and wait", made itself evident.....and the rest is in my glog.So -the thicker, smokier one ,that tastes of roasted figs ,allspice apples etc is the Brown 7.

Showing the restraint "under the gun" is a mark of character, no great surprise he's got some brother!

Have a good one-
DJ

Jamison said:
Wow just amazing Shane! Sauces, ferments, plants, pods, everything. I myself, just can't make a sauce that tastes good to me. Need to experiment more. Thats a nice buck too!
Whatup Jamison! Sometimes I think we're our own worst critics...I bottle one or two of the ones I am having a tough time with and give them to some friends. I can the rest in a mason jar and await feedback. Once they give me their thoughts I put it back in the pot and adjust based on their feedback. I will repeat if I am still not sure. I am pretty much on point with my green chile recipe, so I may just make several quarts of that and then make batches mixed with different heats and flavors. I am quickly learning that bottling isn't the way to go...the price and quantity of them damn bottles adds up quick!

PaulG said:
Amazing to see all those pods on your plants.  Too bad you can't
throw a blanket over the whole yard!  Can't wait to see what kind
of harvest you come up with out of all that, Shane!  Also, nice do
on the sauces!
Haha...I am ready for it to be over. Lol...Harvest pic to follow... :dance:

Devv said:
All I can say is those babies have been dialed in all season Shane!

After today's picking and a little more work it's rest time....NOT! I know the babies have to be sprouted.

Sauces look great, I'm with ya on a failed ferment. I have one that I did and not sure what to do with it...Oh well.

Enjoy your weekend!
Whatup Scott??? I don't know how many babies I am gonna sprout? I got some really awesome wild varieties from John I am almost certain to try, MOAs from Ramon will certainly be planted...some of the Primo Crosses??? Heck, we'll just have to wait and see. The ferment didn't really "fail" just progressed into an unappealing flavor. Those pods make some perfect powder and flakes, but will not be sauced anymore.

gnslngr said:
Mixed up....its possible, with no real red smoked poddage(from being everywhere but home this year), I boosted the smoke with a pac of Jamies powder, and a bit of roasted brown powder.We had a mobe get bumped up ,and it was "now or never" time, so the items got tossed in a box before I lit out at midnight.2 days later, the wait part of "hurry up and wait", made itself evident.....and the rest is in my glog.So -the thicker, smokier one ,that tastes of roasted figs ,allspice apples etc is the Brown 7.

Showing the restraint "under the gun" is a mark of character, no great surprise he's got some brother!

Have a good one-
DJ
Thanks Dave...I'll have to give them a sample and see what the difference is. I have a bunch of sauces I haven't tried yet. 

That boy is the picture of patience for a 12yo. He will fish alone all day even when he isn't catching much. Heck putting up with his 18 and 16 yo sisters has taught him I suppose? :rofl:

WalkGood said:
Great job Shane, love da look on dem sauces and woot pods mucho in abundance ... Wishing you and yours an awesome holiday mon!
Hey Ramon!!! Thanks brotha...too many pods, what a wonderful problem!!!  :party:

A few pics from today...
oMwEEiC.jpg

Little out of focus...but this is ONE branch of many on the White 7 that looked like this...picked a full gallon bucket off this one plant today.

WWldGcn.jpg

A little better pic of the Belize City Bonnet...what a freakin workhorse this plant the the other Bonnet from Greg have been. Thousands of pods off this plant alone this season...

qu3G4OA.jpg

another workhorse has been both Yellow Brain plants...this one was loaded today and in spite of frost damage killing the tops, underneath its still blooming!!! :crazy:

0R8sKXO.jpg

The Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab was absolutely packed with pods also...

kdsTUal.jpg

Some really great looking pods on this plant, thanks again for the seeds John!

Okxb9nf.jpg

Final "real" Harvest shot...still have a few I left out there for another week plus all the dang Birgits I am too lazy to pick...lol

For dinner tonight...
9aJIszf.jpg

Venison Steaks Filet style...

EJDiDjC.jpg

j3zcoN9.jpg

KzQKL4W.jpg

These are gonna be good!!! It'll be too dark for any grill shots, but maybe a final plate shot if I can show some of the same patience my son has!!!

Thanks for looking in everyone!
Shane

Dang Shane... you still picking pods even though you're getting frost... good on ya! I hope the lights you have strung on the Birgit keep it from getting frost burned... good strategy, that. Nice buck you took down at your folks place... the smaller ones generally taste better anyway, which brings us to the backstrap you pictured... what can I say... :drooling:  I just wish I could have been there to harvest the bucktail... I use a lot of them tying streamers to fish with. Cheers!

Thanks everyone! The venison was spectacular! I coupled it with some of Annie's Bourbon Bevo/Squealer Sauce and it was a match made in spicy heaven! The sauce was strong and warm but not overpowering...just a hint of classic steak sauce flavor with the peppers taking the obvious lead role. Well done lady!

I received yet another wonderful care package of sauces from brother Greg up in Chi-town...I haven't sampled any of them yet, but the color and bottling was so stunning that mama thought we should put them on display along with some of the other great sauces I have been lucky to collect this season...
Ft1rbhi.jpg

This is not even close to all of them, but others are either open and in the fridge or up at work for me to use during the week...

cc8OAlq.jpg

Two of Greg's new additions to the collection are in this pic...the Red Fury and Blackthorn, both with deep rich colors.

zt6Iow6.jpg

This pic has the Blackthorn on the far left then...Scotch Bonnet, Hot Papaya and Sweet Dragon.

Ok folks...almost time to close this Glog down. Another season in the books...almost. I will have one more pull before I close it for good. Don't know if I will be growing this coming season. If I do it will be small and predominantly wilds. We shall see. 

Thank you all for the continued support and all the amazing gifts. 
Shane

I my sound redundant, but ya can't beat the people and the pepper love here!

Shane, you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!

Awesome & classy collection of sauces and the foodie looks to die for  …

Happy times joyful cheerful blissful exultant … what the heck brethren I wishin you and yours ecstatic times for this Christmas family & friends holiday season ^_^

Hi Shane,
   This may be rehashing ancient history, but I remember your go-'round with MMV in 2012, and I was wondering... did you plant any Aji Dulce that year or get seeds from anybody who grew them? I was researching mild-tasting Habaneros for a friend with a farm-share operation and came across this page from the University of Massachusetts School of Agriculture saying that most commercial sources of Aji Dulce seeds they tested this year were infected with Pepper Mild Mottle Virus.  http://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/ethnic-crops/aj%C3%AD-dulce-aj%C3%AD-gustoso-aj%C3%AD-cachucha
Sounds like this ought to be widely disseminated here. Cheers guy!

Great tip, Stickman!

Shane, you and your family have a great holiday week!

Back