• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Great camera shots. The germ rates are right on par. Give it some time and the percentages will go up. I almost gave up on a tray of seeds that was one of the first planted. They are all popping up a few at a time each day. I,ve got some Goats Weeds coming up to the first set of trues. Me and my magnifying glass.......I 'm checking them out for looking for that fuzzy appearence every day.......... :crazy:
Keep cool dude!
Thanks Greg...I hope you're right about the germ rates. Still getting one to pop here and there. I am the same way with the inspections. I look at each node for signs of growth. Your GW will fuzz up quickly, happy to say that in spite of the different seed source this year my Goat's Weeds are already taking on a similar growth habit to last year's plants... :pray: I was happy to read your lighting setup on your glog this year. I am doing very similar running the two shelves on alternating cycles for the very reason you are so that they get direct then indirect light. I am not running them as long as you, but I think I may be putting down more lumens per square inch. Did the math and my top 2x4 shelf and I am at 49,200 lumens my bottom shelf it at about 40,000. When both are on its like looking at the sun! Seems to be doing just fine so far...I may even have to cut them back before plant out to keep them from outgrowing my room.

Thanks for the feedback! Going to get me some for sure now. Sounds like a winner!
You're welcome Chewi! If all else fails you can PM me and I'll send you a few!

Just another amazing grow Shane. I think this one may hit 100,000 views if you keep up the stellar updates. Really glad to see you have decided to keep the mystery annuum going too. Let me know if you need anymore seeds ;) Yeah the wife wouldn't like me for that :P
Thanks Jamie...but I doubt it. By this time last year I think I was on page 33! What momma don't know won't hurt her :shh: ! I have plenty and hopefully will be able to actually save some of my own seed this year to boot!

Lookin awesome shane! Awesome camera work!
Thanks! I'm still learning the photography part...but I'm getting better at it! To be honest, until I get a Macro lens I may go back to using the point and shoot...I can focus at just an inch or two with that thing...

Potato pot, Shane, your not working on the secret Yellow 7 X Idaho Russett project are you?

:)
So secret, it grows underground. ;)
I warned you guys...now hide if people in suits visit! Doc, I think I got your Devil's Tongue Whites for you...he's supposed to mail them to me tomorrow. Original seed source is Silver Surfer, don't know if they're op or not??? Guy I am getting them from planted 8 and sprouted 8 so sounds promising!

Shane you guys and all your indoor gear grow some amazing stuff and it grows so rapidly … totally impressive mon!!! They look very healthy and great pics too :)

You weren't supposed to tell anyone :0
It amazes me too. I hadn't grown under lights until last year. The results are amazing, and with the floros the electric bill doesn't jump too much. I am spending about $30 a month to keep my grow room up and running. If you had a few you were really struggling to get going you could make a mini setup like mine for pretty cheap! C'mon...all the cool kids are doing it!

Ant what a long strange trip it's been... Good on ya for sticking with it Shane.
I’m sure they’re ecstatic you made it home as many here are as well :)
Thanks fellas! Only three more years till I can retire! I probably won't for a while though...

Plants are looking good.
Thanks Bodeen, good of you to stop by!

Well I had to make a trip home to pick up some crap for work and snapped a couple pics just for giggles. They're really taking off now! A couple before and afters to start with...
IMG_0960.jpg

Taken three days ago...

IMG_0997.jpg

Today...

IMG_0964.jpg

Three days ago...

IMG_0998.jpg

Today!

IMG_0965.jpg

Two days ago...

IMG_0999.jpg

Today!

IMG_1000.jpg

...and look what I have here! Hopefully the real deal this year!!! So freakin stoked one popped!

IMG_1001.jpg

Here is the undercarriage of one of the Numex Centennials

IMG_1003.jpg

Same for an Explosive Ember...

IMG_1004.jpg

and finally the newest noobs...couple Jamie mysteries, couple Ajis, a manzano, Tepin/pequin, ummm and some other stuff!

Gotta go dinner time!
Take Care!
Shane

Great update, man! From the previous update, glad to see at least one BP is up. Come on, HP22B...and more BP's!

Thanks again for the seed connection, bro! I had seed from pods I got from S_S via Coheed, but they were sparse. Wondering if perhaps my pods ripened off the plant and the seed was immature. Anyway, stoked to be getting them. Thanks again!

Lots happening at Casa de Shane... lovin' the pics dude! If you've gotten past the mottle virus I think this year's harvest may surpass last year's. Here's hoping!

Great update, man! From the previous update, glad to see at least one BP is up. Come on, HP22B...and more BP's!

Thanks again for the seed connection, bro! I had seed from pods I got from S_S via Coheed, but they were sparse. Wondering if perhaps my pods ripened off the plant and the seed was immature. Anyway, stoked to be getting them. Thanks again!
I know right??? Those damn things are getting the right love now. So no excuses! Them the Primos and Brains I replanted need to each pop at least 1! :pray:

Lots happening at Casa de Shane... lovin' the pics dude! If you've gotten past the mottle virus I think this year's harvest may surpass last year's. Here's hoping!
I dunno about surpassing...I'll be satisfied with on par if the plants stay healthy. I will have far fewer, but some will be in bigger pots so I've got my fingers crossed!

Shane that branching is awesome wow. your three day growth also looks inside! keep it up!
The ornamentals sure make it look easy! Most impressed with the PI438638! The secondary growth is crazy now...pics soon.

Shane you are rocking it out. The babies look super healthy and are growing like weeds :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks Pia! I took some special pics for you today!!!

Was feeling a bit under the weather, so took the day off! :whistle: Next step to operation "happy mama" is clearing the freezers. Sooo...I broke out two gallon bags of pods.
IMG_1005.jpg

First was Red Lanterns...these dudes are destined for some hot-salt seasoning blend.

Next, I figured out what hell frozen over looks like!
IMG_1006.jpg

Primos baby...lightly smoked powder for these dudes.

IMG_1007.jpg

Mmmmm...Like little deathcicles.

IMG_1008.jpg

Added that smokey goodness...and into the dehydrator for a day or two.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Getting there! But that shelf is two deep and there are actually 10 gallon bags in there...The door has another 5 or six gallons I think but many are in smaller bags so hard to tell. Good news is the other freezer is pepper free! :woohoo:

IMG_1011.jpg

Here is a perdy...its a Christmas Cactus that belongs to my son, but for some reason I end up taking care of??? :crazy:

Now for the Pia pics!
IMG_1014.jpg

Gotta be careful moving pots around...this is just a relatively harmless wolf spider...

IMG_1015.jpg

but this little girl playing dead is a Brown Widow...they're freaking everywhere! Same red hour glass as their bigger badder cousins the Black Widow.

IMG_1016.jpg

Poked at her a couple times and she woke up!

Will give a step by step on my powder process once they're done drying. Thanks for checking in everyone!
Shane

Kick azz brah! Summed up in one word "Exquisiteness," little seedlings looking great & da predy flower of the xmas cactus (btw I take care of mama’s, hehe), hell frozen over, freezer full of Da Kine hot fruit and to top it all off spiders FTW!!! I be looking forward to your powder process ^_^

Awesome pics, Shane! Love it: "Hell frozen over" and "deathcicles!" Freezer FULL of pods! Nice!

I had forgotten all about Brown Widows. From Wikipedia:

"Like all Latrodectus species, L. geometricus has a neurotoxic venom that, drop for drop, is as toxic as the black widow's. However, brown widow bites are usually not very dangerous; usually much less dangerous than the black widow's. Brown widow venom is twice as potent as black widow venom, but is usually confined to the bite area and surrounding tissue, as opposed to the black widow's. Mere toxicity of the poison is not the only factor in dangerousness. Brown widow bites are minor compared to black widow bites, because they cannot deliver the same amount of venom as the black widow."

Note to self: Be careful moving pots around. ;)

Kick azz brah! Summed up in one word "Exquisiteness," little seedlings looking great & da predy flower of the xmas cactus (btw I take care of mama’s, hehe), hell frozen over, freezer full of Da Kine hot fruit and to top it all off spiders FTW!!! I be looking forward to your powder process ^_^
Thanks man...seedlings growing are great, but gotta mix is up now and then! Freezer is hardly full, but there are a good few still in there! Might actually buy a chest freezer this year.

Awesome pics, Shane! Love it: "Hell frozen over" and "deathcicles!" Freezer FULL of pods! Nice!

I had forgotten all about Brown Widows. From Wikipedia:

"Like all Latrodectus species, L. geometricus has a neurotoxic venom that, drop for drop, is as toxic as the black widow's. However, brown widow bites are usually not very dangerous; usually much less dangerous than the black widow's. Brown widow venom is twice as potent as black widow venom, but is usually confined to the bite area and surrounding tissue, as opposed to the black widow's. Mere toxicity of the poison is not the only factor in dangerousness. Brown widow bites are minor compared to black widow bites, because they cannot deliver the same amount of venom as the black widow."

Note to self: Be careful moving pots around. ;)
Yeah man...they're out there by the hundreds down here. Got the Black Widows too. Not too bothered by spiders, but it will make you look twice. I made the mistake of making a few Primo Poppers last year...took pictures, but a video would have really captured that moment!

Whoa, was that a bag of chiltepins in there?
Sure is! Third shelf up in the door. Second from the top there are some Bird Aji (wild brazil)s..I already powdered two bags each. They are great little plants, but not so much fun to pick. I may grow all my wilds on a table this year to save the back a bit.

Thanks for chekin in fellas!

Almost forgot to mention...I put down seeds for some different Tepins, Charapita Yellows and Bahamian Goat peppers today...oh and some "mystery black" seeds...oh and some more Explosive Embers...and some more Numex Centennials...Think that was all??? :shh: :crazy:

^^^ I don't think you've reached your pre-set limit of plants yet. ;) And I remember reading about the Primo poppers. You're a braver man than me!

Wow, I can't believe how fast your new babies are growing!!! I feel so behind ...

Also, seeing your freezer makes me determined to be better about freezing the excess pods this year. Last year, I lost probably 30% of my final harvest because I was under the delusion that I would actually have time to process all those pods in the middle of school soccer and football season! Now that I see they can be thawed and dehydrated at a later date, I am not going to wait till it's too late. I used to freeze the extra, but didn't like the texture of the frozen pods for cooking, but it looks like the way to go if I'm using them for powder.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the warning Shane. I flew by those pics :confused: I have never seen so many peppers fit into one freezer before. You are a packing king. 10 gallon bags?? That is so excellent. You had to clean out the freezer so you will have room this coming season. Unless you were going to buy another freezer :rofl:

Shane, I just saw you posted in the TD thread, are you in this month? Awesome!

I dont have any Chilitepins but I have a Thai Short that puts out those little firecracker hot peppers. I've been trying to save up enough to take a shot at a Thai Hot Sauce but with only 1 plant it's taking forever. fortunitly, I have 6 more coming up now to join the one I already have so this summer I'm hoping to be able to "Get er done"

Another fantastic update Shane. I love your freezer shots. Man o man you had a great yield last year, even with your setbacks. Can't wait to see how that smoked Primo powder turns out.

Just spent the better part of an hour catching up on your log, and gotta say Shane; very impressive.
Love the grow room and ingenuity with the light, fan, magnets ect.
Plants are looking healthy and happy, Got your poop in a group don’t you?
Food looked super delicious and looks like you’re not the only family member who likes the spicy foods.
Need to get around here more often, I’d say keep up the great work but that’s a given!!

Cheers -Jeff

Sprout alert! 1 Brain, 1 Yellow Brain and 1 more Manzano!!! :dance:
Here are a couple of the powder pics from this morning...started with 1.5 gallon bags of frozen Red Lantern Habs and 1 gallon bag of frozen Primos. The Red Lanterns are destined for some Hot Salts the Primo is gonna be smoked powder...
gallery_5729_18_4267160.jpg

The before shot...

gallery_5729_18_797554.jpg

Primos look so innocent like this...but notice all the smudge marks on the screen? Thats the oil that was dripping from these dudes yesterday after smoking them.

gallery_5729_18_4773429.jpg

Here are the red lanterns...

a couple must haves...
gallery_5729_18_3339683.jpg

Ventilation if working indoors. Box fan pointed outwards...

gallery_5729_18_1967058.jpg

and a mask...or since I was out of them in this case a t shirt tied around my face. tucked the makeshift mask into the neck of the t shirt I was wearing for some added protection.

Primos first to prevent mixing in the other seasonings added for the hot salts...
gallery_5729_18_1592692.jpg

First I flake them stems, seeds and all in the FP for about a minute....

gallery_5729_18_944744.jpg

Then into the coffee grinder on the largest and finest settings for 3 cycles...

gallery_5729_18_2929816.jpg

The finished powder...they sure don't go far. 1 gallon of frozen pods gets you this??? Supers have very thin flesh so they don't offer up much on the far end when grinding them up. Tasted it and WOW!!! :flamethrower: :fire: :fireball: :fire: Punched me right in the tonsils with a fiery fist. No joke powder right there! Great sweet flavor with a very nice kick!
gallery_5729_18_724222.jpg

Same initial process with the Red Lanterns. Once you've done the initial flake add your seasonings. Mine are 1 cup salt, 3 tbs onion powder and 1 tbs garlic powder. Hit it in the FP for about a minute (much of the salt will settle to the bottom, more on that in a minute) then grind on the coarse setting of the coffee grinder for just one cycle a small amount at a time (mine has an auto shutoff that adjusts the time it runs based on your selections). Once complete pour the entire batch back in the FP and run it for another minute because much of the salt will be in the last few batches you grind...this will ensure even flavor throughout the bag.

gallery_5729_18_456587.jpg

Which looks like this...D-Freakin-Licious!!! Hot but not terrible and makes a great table seasoning anyone can use without being too scared.

By the way...a really good blender will eliminate steps 2 through Y and leave you with only steps 1 and Z. Put it all in, grind...done. Maybe one day I'll buy a good one.

More pics and how-to posted in my powder gallery here:
http://thehotpepper....der-time-again/

^^^ I don't think you've reached your pre-set limit of plants yet. ;) And I remember reading about the Primo poppers. You're a braver man than me!
Lol...what mama don't know may hurt me later. Easy to hide sprouts...once I start putting plants outside there'll be no hiding it! Primo popper rematch if I am lucky this year!

Wow, I can't believe how fast your new babies are growing!!! I feel so behind ...

Also, seeing your freezer makes me determined to be better about freezing the excess pods this year. Last year, I lost probably 30% of my final harvest because I was under the delusion that I would actually have time to process all those pods in the middle of school soccer and football season! Now that I see they can be thawed and dehydrated at a later date, I am not going to wait till it's too late. I used to freeze the extra, but didn't like the texture of the frozen pods for cooking, but it looks like the way to go if I'm using them for powder.

Thanks for the inspiration!
They are really getting big fast! Your plant out date is way after mine...so its relative. Some folks up north have tons of room to grow hundreds of plants up to 1 gallon pots. Most don't, so you gotta go with what you can manage. Freezing is the only way to go. I wasted a ton of pods this year myself once I ran out of freezer space even sending them out by the box and powdering as fast as I could I still got behind. So if you have room, I would freeze everything that you couldn't get to right away.

Thanks for the warning Shane. I flew by those pics :confused: I have never seen so many peppers fit into one freezer before. You are a packing king. 10 gallon bags?? That is so excellent. You had to clean out the freezer so you will have room this coming season. Unless you were going to buy another freezer :rofl:
Go back and look at those pics Pia!!! I am helping you conquer your fear! Closer to 15 left I think??? I am already pricing freezers!

Shane, I just saw you posted in the TD thread, are you in this month? Awesome!

I dont have any Chilitepins but I have a Thai Short that puts out those little firecracker hot peppers. I've been trying to save up enough to take a shot at a Thai Hot Sauce but with only 1 plant it's taking forever. fortunitly, I have 6 more coming up now to join the one I already have so this summer I'm hoping to be able to "Get er done"
I am a definite maybe for the TD??? We shall see how the final rules read, I have something in mind, just gotta see what the boss puts down as rules. The little pods are fun to look at but sure are a PIA to harvest! The wild brazil and tepin weren't too bad, once ripe they fell off in my hand while picking. Just SO MANY!

Amazing Shane. I will warn Pia to stay away:)

Time to sell some tasty powders my friend!!!!!!
Been too lazy to post any lately...I have several gallons ready. Pia is a fraidy cat!

Another fantastic update Shane. I love your freezer shots. Man o man you had a great yield last year, even with your setbacks. Can't wait to see how that smoked Primo powder turns out.
Thanks for the love Brian! Everyone loves the freezer shots but mama...I don't understand her lack of enthusiasm??? Hope to stay relatively setback free this year...but prolly won't??? :banghead:

Just spent the better part of an hour catching up on your log, and gotta say Shane; very impressive.
Love the grow room and ingenuity with the light, fan, magnets ect.
Plants are looking healthy and happy, Got your poop in a group don’t you?
Food looked super delicious and looks like you’re not the only family member who likes the spicy foods.
Need to get around here more often, I’d say keep up the great work but that’s a given!!

Cheers -Jeff
Jeff!!! There you are! Is it really you??? Great words coming from you my friend! I have done my share of contracting on everything from concrete to custom cabinetry, so I share much of the skill (but not all because you're the master) that you have with craftsmanship...I just lack the motivation. So my projects are always done...just good enough. Still haven't put a real door on the grow room, just a spare piece of sheathing duct taped on one side to act as a hinge...I bought hinges though...so does that count?

Thanks for all the kind words everybody! Now lets see how many emoticons and quotes I have to delete in order to post this...
Shane

Congrats on dat “sprout alert,” always great to hear good news, fantastic! Man that powder looks awesome, enjoy and every ting keeps looking more irie mon by di day ^_^

*BTW I have some spare bandanas if you need one ;)

Back