• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

Yes! I can see them now! Thanks for switching them! I could tell by everyone's comments that other people could see them, so not sure why they weren't visible for me.

Love the pepper lights on your grow stand!!!

So is the 3 leaved cayenne just an anomaly, or some special variety?
Triple cotyledons like on that cayenne are an anomaly...triple first set of leaves another anomoly. Both triple like on my caribbean red are pretty rare!
The pepper lights were on after Christmas sale for a couple bucks and I couldn't resist...finally a set of lights I can leave up all year long!

A couple more of my overwinters and some of my compost/worm farms...

SD530763.jpg

SD530765.jpg

Wally World...$14!

SD530766.jpg

Compost Pile and 1 of my worm farms...

SD530768.jpg

SD530767.jpg

A couple of my gardeners hard at work!

SD530770.jpg

Second composting area and worm farm...

SD530771.jpg

The heater keeps my little greenhouse between 70 and 90 degrees, plus its got a fan for air circulation. Think its the perfect fit!

Thanks for looking!
Shane

Nice work... I had a worm bin but with an abundance of lake weed and alage, I just put that in my raised beds, so I just keep the worms happy in their beds...

Minor setback today...may have lost a few plants to the heat. I couldn't make it home to open the greenhouse. I had my son do it instead, but he didn't open it enough. Got a little toasty and they were dry, so it did some damage. I watered the hell out of them and we'll see if they come back. All Jalapeno and Cayenne, and I have too many as it is, so no biggie.

I also added a few varieties to the grow list due to a more than generous trade with gnslngr and put a couple each in to soak tonight.

Soooo the revised list:

Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2
Kaval F-1 0/2
7 Pot Primo 0/2
7 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2
Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2
Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2
Black Naga 0/2

I've also had a few new additions to the family...

Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4
Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 1/4 :banghead:
Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 (planted 01/13) :cool: :cool: All up in 4 days!
Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 (planted 01/13)
7 Pot Red 3/4
7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 :cool:
Fatali 4/4 :cool:
Chocolate Hab 4/4 :cool:
Bishops Crown 4/4 :cool:
Pequine 4/4 :cool:
Trinidad Scorpion 3/4

Established Plants:
Caribbean Red x5
Black Cobra x6
Jalapeno x6
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8
Cayenne x6
Bell x4
Poblano x3
Anaheim x3

That sucks you lost a few hopefully it wasn't to bad and they starting kicking again with the water but the new additions look like great replacements.

Hope their okey, it's a pitty if you lose em and start over again. :banghead:
That sucks you lost a few hopefully it wasn't to bad and they starting kicking again with the water but the new additions look like great replacements.

No biggie...I have several Jalapeno overwinters doing well...one was a mucho nacho jalapeno (I have 5 more). Think the others were cayenne. I got like 4 more of those and they're all doing very well. I am only keeping 2-3 each anyway so they just made the decision a little easier! My son was going to sell off the extras at a corner stand (like a lemonade stand from hell) and now he just has a few less. I knew they would be in trouble when I couldn't get home yesterday. I'm still learning since I just included a heater in there it dries out quicker than it used to. I just need to water more often...Supers are all still inside and I put the others out there to learn these lessons on them...Sooooo Mission Accomplished I suppose!

Better yet...the son is only 10, but he's getting into the garden. At least until he discovers girls...but the beans he started took a hit too. So he now knows to look in and if he sees anything starting to wilt he needs to water. As soon as the sun gets up a bit I'll go survey the damage. I think a couple may come back.

That's awesome that your son is interested in gardening! Mine all wanted to help when I first started gardening a few years ago, but the oldest is in middle school now, and thinks it's all quite boring and nerdy. The two younger ones still like to participate a little, usually only at planting, and harvest time. Even then, they are more interested in playing with the worms and grasshoppers than they are actually helping. None of them have any interest in pulling weeds though ...

Well I got my first bud of the season...if you don't count the ornamentals that have been producing like crazy all winter...My supers are doing well under the lights inside and the annuums out in the ghetto greenhouse are starting to really take off!

SD530793.jpg

Purple Bhut...just a baby.

SD530790.jpg

SD530789.jpg

My supers and Habs...

SD530788.jpg

Red Missile ornamental...

SD530785.jpg

red missile bloom...notice the cat was nice enough to prune my leaves...

SD530781.jpg

Red/Orange missiles
SD530779.jpg

More pods on the ornamental...
SD530777.jpg

Cayenne. First to hook...first to bud. We'll see if it takes.
SD530773.jpg

First bud of the season!
SD530775.jpg

My overwinters, annuums my daughters milk weed and a few of my sons beans. Along with another Red Missile ornamental going OFF!
Wish they were all that easy...

Got some new seeds on the heat mat and a seed train that should be here by Monday...So I'm pretty stoked with my first super season so far! We've had several frosts this year which is rare, but I still have a tomato plant and an anaheim in a topsey turvey outside the sliding glass door that are doing very well...I picked 2 tomatoes this week! It looks pretty rough around the edges, but is still blooming and even setting a few fruits???
Going surprisingly well right now!

Thanks for looking!
Shane

A couple more of my overwinters and some of my compost/worm farms...

SD530763.jpg

SD530765.jpg

Wally World...$14!

SD530766.jpg

Compost Pile and 1 of my worm farms...

SD530768.jpg

SD530767.jpg

A couple of my gardeners hard at work!

SD530770.jpg

Second composting area and worm farm...

SD530771.jpg

The heater keeps my little greenhouse between 70 and 90 degrees, plus its got a fan for air circulation. Think its the perfect fit!

Thanks for looking!
Shane

Are u gonna use the compost for the final repotting, mixing it with newer soil? If yes, what will be the average %?

Are u gonna use the compost for the final repotting, mixing it with newer soil? If yes, what will be the average %?
I don't know what the % will be...I am using straight commercial potting mix on most, then I am going to try several different blends of potting soil/compost/worm castings, and I am also going to try just some soil from my garden amended with my compost/worm castings. There are some great mixes listed at the top of the growing hot peppers forum under the its all about soil heading...I will look it up and link it. I am just trying to figure out if I can make a soil perform a little better, and if I can take a very crappy soil and make it perform like the expensive stuff. I have tried 4 different soils and had different results with each. 1 of which was pretty toxic to my pepper plants. They yellowed badly and stunted. I repotted them in the best performing soil I used, but they are very slow to recover. I will take a side by side shot of a couple examples when I get the chance. The wind is blowing about 40 mph and the ghetto greenhouse is holding up right now, but if I start taking clamps off it right now it wouldn't be good.

Long write up...but the answer is several % maybe a 1 to 3 (25%) ratio at 1 part compost 3 parts potting soil being the starting point...then worm castings mixed in to get the right consistency....
and with the garden soil/compost I plan to almost reverse the ratio 3 parts compost to 1 part garden soil...and worm castings to texture...
when I say "garden soil" I am referring to soil shoveled directly from my garden not a commercial product.

http://www.thehotpep...-i-would-share/

Thanks for looking and the great question!

Shane

Here is my example...3 of the 4 soils are represented here. All very cheap varieties with cost for a less than $5 for a 1.5 cu ft bag...
Yellow represents the worst performing and somewhat toxic soil (Supersoil)...
Red the intermediate soil that performed ok but not great (Earthgro)...
And light blue is the best performing (Kellogg)...
The other soil I used was Miracle grow and although they are not represented in this photo those plants were on par with the red circles intermediate performer.
The best performing by far was the Kellogg potting mix I used (light blue) All these plants were started on the same day then repotted on the same day. One of the kellogg plants not represented in this photo is the cayenne pictured in my update which is now already potted up again and producing buds. Since this photo they've all been placed in kellogg soil and I will post an after pic of the slow recovery later as well.

soilexample.jpg

Re-learned a valuable lesson this morning...while sorting/bagging goatweed seeds this morning. Although goatweed is not a "super"hot...when applied directly to the tear duct with a contaminated finger, its damn sure hot enough!

Nice work, It's refreshing to see some outdoor progress!
Good luck with your grow.

Greg

Yeah...hoping for production through the winter next year. We get a few frosts, but it rarely freezes. Plan on having a real greenhouse next winter so maybe I can keep producing. Had a light frost last night, but it'll be 80 here again today. I feel sorry for you folks up North...Its as cold up there in April-May as it is here in January-February.
Thanks for checking my grow out!
Shane

I moved a few more outside today...Wife's cam so not real good with it.

P1000032.jpg

Greenhouse open today for the 80 degree weather!

P1000031.jpg

Some of my first starts...went in peat pellets about a month ago...

P1000030.jpg

Rescued Goatweed...going to be one of my favorites!

P1000029.jpg

Quickly running out of room...some of my supers in the lower left. 7's, Scorpions, Fatalii, red/chocolate habs, and various Bhuts...

P1000028.jpg

Piquines in the cups, the largest ones are Bishop's Crowns, a few carribean reds and some supers...

P1000025.jpg

Group photo!

My overwinters will be blooming soon...my son's greenbeans are blooming as well as my daughter's Butterfly Bush (milkweed). My Jals and Cayenne are just starting to bud out also. I have another tray of supers inside under the lights and about 15 more on the heat mat...I think I'm done, but I got the seed train pulling in this week. Its going to have to be really cool for me to start it though!

Thanks for looking,
Shane

Wow great looking plants I always considered using the Kellogg might have to try an experiment on the final repot versus the peat moss I am excited because the cold nights are slowly disappearing, which mean time to move outside hopefully in a week or two. What tomatoes are you growing along side the peppers?

Wow great looking plants I always considered using the Kellogg might have to try an experiment on the final repot versus the peat moss I am excited because the cold nights are slowly disappearing, which mean time to move outside hopefully in a week or two. What tomatoes are you growing along side the peppers?
They are hybrids...
Jet Star (sandwich) and Supersweet 100vf(cherry). I've never grown either, but I wasn't too impressed with the tomatoes I've been growing the past few years so I figured I'd switch it up. They are both supposed to be very heavy producers. I may also look for a beefeater type once the nursery gets their plants in. I think I got more than enough going on already though.

Here are a few more pics of my other tray of supers....

P1000050.jpg

Purple/white bhuts and a few stragglers...

P1000051.jpg

Purple Bhut

P1000049.jpg

And another Purple...

Thanks again for looking! Always looking for input too so don't be shy!

Shane

I have some Brandywine seeds if your interested already gave one plant to my neighbor because it out grew the 16 oz party cup fast and didn't have room to transplant it and didn't want to move it outside just pm if your interested.

Back