• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

I have some Brandywine seeds if your interested already gave one plant to my neighbor because it out grew the 16 oz party cup fast and didn't have room to transplant it and didn't want to move it outside just pm if your interested.

Tempting...and I appreciate the offer. We have a kick-ass nursery and they carry brandywine along with a bunch of other heirloom seeds...I've just been holding off to try to figure out how much room I have. I'll give you a shout if I change my mind.

Hey, STC! You're really rockin' my man! Way cool to
see your updates - and great photos as usual :cool:

Hey, STC! You're really rockin' my man! Way cool to
see your updates - and great photos as usual :cool:

Thanks man...my wife thinks I'm either obsessed or possessed. Beginning to realize that she may be on to something! Spent the day cutting down the landlords plants trying to lay claim to some of the 200 plus feet of raised beds. So my plants and I may be homeless soon. Might just have to live out of my truck...has anyone ever used a pickup bed as a raised bed? lol

Sprout update! Yesterday I had a Red 7 Pot decide to join the party after a month on the heat mat...and I just checked the tray this evening and FINALLY another chocolate was hooking up!

Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4
Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 2/4 :whistle:
Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 (planted 01/13) :cool: :cool: All up in 4 days!
Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 (planted 01/13)
7 Pot Red 4/4 :cool:
7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 :cool:
Fatali 4/4 :cool:
Chocolate Hab 4/4 :cool:
Bishops Crown 4/4 :cool: (one caught a cold??? Got some serious wilt going on)
Pequine 4/4 :cool:
Trinidad Scorpion 3/4

Established Plants:
Caribbean Red x5
Black Cobra x6
Jalapeno x6
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8
Cayenne x6
Bell x4
Poblano x3
Anaheim x3
Ok...so what's better 10.5 hours of real sunlight or 16 hours under T-8's??? The greenhouse has better temps. The heater kicks on at 70 and off at 85 so outside is better for sure there. I just moved a bunch outside to take advantage of this great weather we're having hope I'm not screwing up...

Super stoked, was planning on keeping at least 2 of each, and was beginning to think some of these wouldn't get there.

Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2
Kaval F-1 0/2
7 Pot Primo 0/2
7 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2
Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2
Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2
Black Naga 0/2

Hoping to see some of these move in the next day or two!

Man, you are hitting on all cylinders. Great germination rates and happy plants new and old.

Your daylight 10.5 hours grow time in the ghouse obviously crushing the indoor lighting. If you can handle any cold spells you're dialed. (But does San Diego ever get this?--it's like when you open freezer door and you notice something different--we in the North call it "cold." Some cultures never really experience it.)

..... :cool:

Man, you are hitting on all cylinders. Great germination rates and happy plants new and old.

Your daylight 10.5 hours grow time in the ghouse obviously crushing the indoor lighting. If you can handle any cold spells you're dialed. (But does San Diego ever get this?--it's like when you open freezer door and you notice something different--we in the North call it "cold." Some cultures never really experience it.)

..... :cool:
Your 555th post! Sweet, that's gotta mean something!​

Yeah, I can see snow covered mountains from my office in LA, I just don't go up there! We had an unexpected frost last night, but I got a little heater in the GH and it keeps it above 70 in there even on the mornings when the birdbath is frozen. Thing is...we'll start off with frost and end up at 85! I leave the house for work at 4:30 am soooo what to do??? I can't open the GH yet, and if I leave it closed they cook (I lost a couple to this already) I really have a hard time coming up with a ton to complain about though...

Sounds like you have the cold end handled.

For the hot end, I'm envisioning a fan rigged to a thermostat so it comes on at 85-degrees. Slice the plastic at each end of ghouse so it lays mostly flat when no fan blowing, but flutters and vents when fan turns on. Hey, it's kinda ghetto.

Too bad the thermostat for the heat mat works in reverse-- it kicks on when temp too cool. I plan to use it in March in my own ghouse to keep a little space heater going when needed.

I already have one of these for my frost prevention lights around the garden comes on at 35 then off at 45...this one comes on at 78 and off at 70...I think it and the heater would be fighting each other. Maybe I could place it in the lowest opposite corner and odds are it wouldn't reach 78 in that spot at night with the heater running but it would when it was too hot during the day...place the fan in the top to blow out the hottest air and put the opening for incoming air down low...hmmmmm. I wish they offered one that came on at 90! I think I'm about to order this...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1TSND_enUS461US461&q=thermo+cube&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=667&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5516346092607133309&sa=X&ei=TXMnT9WzMo_ciQLb3LCzAQ&ved=0CKYBEPMCMAQ

There has to be something out there that covers the hot end of the range beyond what the thermocube does, like you say would kick in at 90. Its the right idea, though. I could use something like that in my own portable plastic g-house. Like you, I can't always be around to open vents when the sun decides to flame on...

Sprout update! So at about a month on the mat I was lacking confidence in my Chocolate Bhut seeds...then all of the sudden one hooks up last night, and I wake up to another hook this morning!!! Woot woot! Am I allowed to complain that the high temp today is only going to be 65 to 70? I guess we can just leave the greenhouse closed up! Now If I can just get a few of the new plants to hook up for me??? I think today is only day 5 so nothing "expected" yet...but surprises are always welcome!

Kaval F-1 0/2
7 Pot Primo 0/2
Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2
Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2
Black Naga 0/2

Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 3/4 :dance:
Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 (planted 01/13) :cool: :cool: All up in 4 days!
Trinidad Scorpion 3/4

Established Plants:
Caribbean Red x5
Black Cobra x6
Jalapeno x6
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8
Cayenne x6
Bell x4
Poblano x3
Anaheim x3

BTW...I might be just imagining things, but I swear that after just one day of real sunshine my plants already have better color! My caribbean reds have been yellowish since they sprouted and after 10 hours of sun they are greening up nicely! Has anyone else noticed a more yellow tendency for caribbean's? They have been getting the exact same soil, nute and light as everything else, and they are the only ones with a consistent color difference??? They look healthy otherwise, just wondering if they have special needs???

P1000027.jpg

They are the two in the upper left...I have 3 more floating around with similar color differences. Everything else on this tray is a super of some sort...7's, Bhuts and scorpions...oh and fatalii.

Busy day today...The last two Chocolate Bhuts popped! I spent the day attacking the overgrown shrubs in the raised beds...and laid clam to a little territory for myself!

SanDiego-20120103-00188.jpg

I trimmed these bushes and found a tree...lol
SanDiego-20120107-00194.jpg

Another before shot...I had actually started to trim them already.
P1000055.jpg

P1000054.jpg

Before...
P1000056.jpg

Another before...
P1000059.jpg

The aftermath!
P1000060.jpg

They shouldn't let me use sharp things...
P1000063.jpg

After!
P1000064.jpg

My big helper! He got it out all by himself! Well....almost.

None of the newbies popped today...its the first day I though I might see one...
Kaval F-1 0/2
7 Pot Primo 0/2
Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2
Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2
Black Naga 0/2

Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 :party:
Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 (planted 01/13) :cool: All up in 4 days!
Trinidad Scorpion 3/4

Established Plants:
Caribbean Red x5
Black Cobra x6
Jalapeno x6
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8
Cayenne x6
Bell x4
Poblano x3
Anaheim x3

Almost all my overwinters are budding out. My goatweed is going to be covered soon. Most of my new annuums are showing some buds as well. Pics to follow...

Not planning on planting any more...but the seed train should pull in tomorrow and it might change my mind???
Thanks for checking it out!
Shane

Nice property line, You have plenty of room. I don't envy the work, I've been there. But you'll be happy when you get it to where you want it. That's always a relief to see the seeds coming through, great germination rates.

Looking forward to seeing some of your current overwinter photos

Greg

great germination rates.

Looking forward to seeing some of your current overwinter photos

Greg

Yeah...I almost gave up on those Chocolates...then 3 in the last 2 days??? They'd been cooking for a while. Now if I can just get those two yellows and the last scorpion to sprout I'll be 100% for that round. We'll see about this next round, I'll try to get a couple snaps of the buds tomorrow. Awesome to have a pro like you checking in on my grow!

Question: Everything looks like its doing well...but the color on my caribbean reds is a little on the yellow side compared to the others. They look healthy other than the color. All my caribbeans are that way too...I have them on the same nutes and in the same soil and pots as the rest of my plants so I don't get it. Are they just lighter colored? Or do they need something? I've been bottom feeding with Schultz 10-15-10 at half indoor strength once a week. I also added a tsp of epsom salts last week. I'm a little gun shy with feeding, I would rather under feed than burn them all up.

Oddly enough they're some of the darkest green plants that I've grown the last few years. The Carib Reds are a long time favorite of mine for making sauces.
Without photos I don't want to steer you wrong, but my first guess would be a rootbound plant. Possibly absorbing more water than needed. If the lower leaves are yellowing first than that's a sign of over hydration or crowded roots . Yellowing uptop is usually a deficiency or possibly a lock-out of nutes caused by oiver fertilizing. If the plants are small or if they're in large containers, tip the container almost on its side and slide the plant out to check the roots. If its one of your overwinters you can root prune. If so keep it out of direct sun for a couple days. That usually works for the larger root bound plants..........

Heck maybe it's just thirsty like me...
Let me know what you find out

Greg

Oddly enough they're some of the darkest green plants that I've grown the last few years. The Carib Reds are a long time favorite of mine for making sauces.
Without photos I don't want to steer you wrong, but my first guess would be a rootbound plant. Possibly absorbing more water than needed. If the lower leaves are yellowing first than that's a sign of over hydration or crowded roots . Yellowing uptop is usually a deficiency or possibly a lock-out of nutes caused by oiver fertilizing. If the plants are small or if they're in large containers, tip the container almost on its side and slide the plant out to check the roots. If its one of your overwinters you can root prune. If so keep it out of direct sun for a couple days. That usually works for the larger root bound plants..........

Heck maybe it's just thirsty like me...
Let me know what you find out

Greg
They're not root bound even the one which I have potted up is yellow-ish. They're new seedlings and its not just down low its the entire plant color so I'm pretty sure they're not to wet either...I will share a few side by sides with them and some others today.
For now I posted a photo a few posts ago of them in a tray with some other starts...hard to see the difference in that photo. Nute lockout sounds interesting??? Could that happen across the board to just one type if all things equal? I would think it would happen to 1 or 2 and some of the others would be affected? You're the expert...They are growing a bit slow too.

Did you start your seeds in pellets or plugs? What kind of medium did you transplant to. It looks a bit woody (shavings) Miracle Grow? Just by looking at the photo I can see the top 2 plants left corner appear to be deficient.The ph could be off. The only way to know is to check the ph of the mix that your using. Since you intend to bring them out doors I would repot them in a heavier mix that helps retain some water. If you did use "jiffy pellets" it helps to sever the netting. If they dry out before the roots penetrate through that could also be a problem...Try diluting an all around type fertilizer. If your ph is correct the nutes should help green up the new growth...
Sorry I don't have a concrete answer....just a lot of maybe's here

I'll be checking this out to see how they fair off

Greg

They're in Kellogg soil...don't know the ph??? Don't have a meter...may invest in one and I'll check it out today and post a few better pics. I started them in jiffy pellets, and they were yellow right out of the gate before I even potted them up. Like I said though...aside from color, they look good, and the color is consistent throughout the plant. I am leaning toward ph...the only thing that I am confused about is why only the Caribbean Reds??? I used everything the same on all my plants??? Sorry to bother you about it...they are not so unhealthy looking that I am very concerned. Just more curios at first to see if they're color was normal, and now to figure it out. If its not PH I will change up their nutes and see it that helps.
Thanks Greg!
Shane

Not all the plants react the same as I just recently faced the issue with a few plants that were arrogant and wanted more calmag so I adjust where I have a separate feeding for them where they get 2 ml per gallon of CalMag more compared to rest and they look better now I have a little asterisk on my log in case I forget. I think Greg hit it on the head just check your soil ph and your watering ph once you mix the schultz before pouring to better isolate the situation. Good luck hopefully they get better.

OK...ph is between 6 and 7 for all...closer to 6 on a few and on others closer to 7. I have some purpling going on on a few plants, but pretty sure that is due to them being moved into the sun. I bought some espoma soil acidifier (the only brand they had but it was 1/2 off!), but will hold off using it till I hear from you guys. Also thinking of feeding with a little more epsom salt. Thoughts??? Photos to follow...

So here are a couple photos of the yellowing...followed by a better news story, some buds on my rescued overwinter goatweed.

P1000067.jpg

Caribbean red with the worst color...
P1000068.jpg

a side by side for comparison with a Bhut
P1000069.jpg

my goatweed budding!
P1000070.jpg

Thanks...standing by with the acidifier.
Thoughts?
Shane

Epsom salts should help, I'd use the spray bottle and mist the entire plants top and underneath the leaves. Don't do that in full sun, better at the end of the day. I don't water it in the soil especially outdoors. Salt can leach in the soil and take a long time to dissipate. I use Fertilome Acid reducer for my rockwool cubes, it all works the same. If you choose to lower the ph I would take a separate amount of medium treat that with the required dose and repot into that. Giving the plants a good flush of water. Or mix what you have with a different potting soil.

Greg

Back