• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

Hey there Shane! Man, I go away for a few days and when I come back, EXTREME, grow and membership. Harvests are lookin' great as usual bro! You are a wild man Shane!, 20 mile run, 100 MILE run, sick my man, sick. Your family has to be proud man, that's just crazy! Well just catching up on the last week and a half so thought
I'd say hey. Oh yeah, any superman powder anytime soon? Just let me know I'll send payment immediately! Keep up the great job.

Eric

Thanks again everybody...things crazy on this end. This it the time of year we train new Chiefs in the Navy, so super busy with that alone. I am also off on another run up in the mountains near Corona today. Ughhh...time to make the donuts! Took a few snaps yesterday when I finally got home.

gallery_5729_16_5140832.jpg

First off...some of the plants are getting pretty top heavy. The Black naga on the left and Bishop's Crown on the right are two of the worst. The wife tried to deal with them while I was gone but without success. I drove some stakes into the ground and used duct tape to secure them yesterday. Hope this cures the issue.

gallery_5729_16_2514404.jpg

Here's the damage...this "branch" is nearly 3 ft and loaded with pods. Damn. I picked the ripe ones and then hung it up to ripen the rest.

gallery_5729_16_4242016.jpg

Been REAL hot here. Over 100 every day, so you can see it drooping. Its ripening up a few pods though!

gallery_5729_16_390354.jpg

Same story on the Yellow Bhut...

gallery_5729_16_414237.jpg

Cosmos...

gallery_5729_16_2367479.jpg

Shroooooomzzz...

gallery_5729_16_3301582.jpg

Think my Devil's Tongue is a cross...what do you think???

gallery_5729_16_2830746.jpg

and the money shot!

Many more pics in here:
[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:16]

Have a great weekend everyone!
Shane

Good looking pile of heat. What made the pots tip over? Was it wind combined with being top-heavy? Bummer about the branch.
+1 on that...I been there brother. I suppose there are worse things than having chiles that are top-heavy because of pod production. The run in this heat sounds brutal. It'll probably drive you to drink.... water that is, and lots of it. Will you be carrying a bladder or will they provide it periodically along the course? Man, your money shots are killin' me here. Good on ya Shane. Cheers

Holy cow, the amount of peppers on that table is probably enough to actually kill a fair few men!
May I ask what peppers that are on the top with the green and white striping? They remind me of Fish peppers but look larger and longer in shape ...

Outstanding, Shane! Grind, grind, grind :fireball:
Glad to see the heat is ripening up those pods for you.
We're looking at high 80's peaking at close to 100 by Thursday.
Maybe that will kick some of my plants into ripening up; some
have many pods on them. Hope you get a break in the weather,
although I suppose that's not going to happen this time of year!

Good luck training those Chiefs. At least you're not training recruits ;)
Have a good weekend, my friend!

Woowzers. What a great harvest. Yummy ribs and all. Good growing. Sorry to see your plants toppled but I'm sure they will be just fine. Checked out your photo albums too. Great looking pods an. I am sure super hot. Take care and enjoy that run. Ahhahhaaa

Shane, run a few hundred miles for me. My fat ass needs it :rofl:

Man the pods just keep rolling in. Those harvest shots are macking out :party:

Have a great weekend buddy :dance: :dance: :dance:

Holy crap Shane! I'm more jealous of your harvest than I am of your Salmon shirt/back pack combo.....pod fest 2012. Those plants are producing an excellent number of pods. You're "Rich, Bitch" I hope you're hearing Dave Chappelle in your head right now...lol. Nice work, for someone who is constantly busy. I see you had time to stop and smell the flowers.....and shrooms...

Finally have some time to respond to all the awesome comments!

Great info Shane,
It's cool to see your glog expanding to other info, not just the plant grow. I appreciate the food preps and the side notes with work and the personel life. That last photo shows it all....your wife is proud to stand by your side. Now on a serious note, who does the dishes......

On a side note.

I can see the point of "extreme" for folks that have a product line to sell and others who wish to display an art gallery of photos. I haven't researched it, there's probably alot more advantages for the member. For me, I do the glog "thing" here and an occasional food "shot" to be viewed by anyone......that includes guests who aren't even resistered here. If the day comes when we all have to pay the "cover charge" to enter than I will subscribe. This site keeps getting bigger and better and I can understand theres a cost behind it.

Greg
Thanks for the vote of confidence Greg...I always feel a little odd posting anything not pepper related in a grow log. This is pretty much the only "Social" type site I use anymore, so I spill some life on here from time to time. I get on FB about once a week to see if my running or cycling groups have posted any runs or rides for the weekend, but then stay away. I find myself more frustrated after I go on that site, and more relaxed after being on this one. Especially during election time. Its painful enough trying to watch the news these days with politics in full swing, I don't need it on a place I should be going to catch up with folks and have a laugh or two...much better here!

The biggest benefit so far to the "Extreme" membership is my inbox went from 50 to 500 messages. So I don't have to worry as much about doing a mass delete and losing some addresses. I was trying to write down everyone's in a black book here, but should be able to save all the key messages now. The albums are really cool, but the uploader needs some work. Its slow and I already pointed out there is no way to reorder the pics...which sucks when you're trying to build a slideshow. So far so good though, and worth it as the half off price!

That's cool, and yeah that had to feel good. And yeah, you can see the pride on your wife's face - I can see why you like the picture, good stuff.

We'll cheer you on when you make it this year too! Truth be told, I cannot believe anyone makes that. It must take forever, and your body has to be off for a few days at least, I'd think.
Andy, I was on crutches for over a week last time, and the 50 mile I did a month prior to this had me sick for a week running a 103 fever...not for the faint of heart. I make it out of sheer stupidity and determination. I lose all my toenails and all the skin off the bottom of my feet each time I do one...fun stuff! The wife really isn't into it, but after running for 32 hrs and 47 minutes straight I was overcome with emotion and broke down when I saw my family at the finish. I actually started sobbing at the last aid station with about 2.5 miles remaining...it is something. If you ever get a chance to attend one or even better work an aid station you will meet some of the coolest people on the planet.

Shane your grow is EXTREME!! Must have happened because you are now and extreme member. Mine must not have kicked in yet. Oh well I'll keep waiting.

Awesome race pics. Your wife looks proud indeed! And she had every reason to be. Heck I would have given up at 5 miles (and that's being liberal with my "abilities").
You'd be surprised what you can accomplish. It does take a lot of time and disciple to prepare properly. You're extreme now brother!

I would love a chance at that race someday...it is BRUTAL! The worst part is in your hallucinogenic state you have to read clues and find pages along the way to advance. Badwater is another one I'd really like to do...google that one! It was 126 degrees at the start this year.

What a wonderful harvest and I agree with Matt that pepper looks narly. Congrats on the race and loved the family pics.
Thanks Pia! Some of my favorite memories for sure...priceless.

Awesome job on the run.
Thanks DNR!

Awesome job Shane with finishing the run last year that is a great moment to have and share with your family. Mmm ribs love that freezer shot on your album. Soon it will be time to add a third freezer lol. Hope everything is going well for you, your family, and the sailor. Good luck with the training
I already need a new freezer, the dehydrator is running non stop these days!

Your wife looks proud as a peacock! That is a great accomplishment to have under your belt. I hope we don't end up like church and state here but I think it is inevitable with the growing community.
She sure was...she didn't want to go. She hates seeing me in such pain. Funny you mention "belt" because you're awarded a belt buckle at the finish! I sure hope this doesn't divide the site too much, time will tell I suppose.

damnn your garden is full of pods shane, thats lots of heat for you bra, and awesome job finishing the run, your whole family is proud of you...
It sure is! Unfortunately the virus affects some of the plants worse than others and it kills the stems on the pods forcing them to either fall off or ripen/rot prematurely. My Brain, 2 of 3 Chocolate Bhuts, one of my regular bhuts and a Caribbean Red are that way. Some it really doesn't seem to phase too much though...and I have more pods than I know what to do with anyway. I am thinking about cutting the season short in October and trying to sterilize my soil for next season. Once I do I plan to start some Manzanos and a few other real early to overwinter in fresh soil with no MOTTLE VIRUS!

Hey there Shane! Man, I go away for a few days and when I come back, EXTREME, grow and membership. Harvests are lookin' great as usual bro! You are a wild man Shane!, 20 mile run, 100 MILE run, sick my man, sick. Your family has to be proud man, that's just crazy! Well just catching up on the last week and a half so thought
I'd say hey. Oh yeah, any superman powder anytime soon? Just let me know I'll send payment immediately! Keep up the great job.

Eric
Thanks Eric! I sure don't feel extreme! lol...pm me about the powder.

DocNrock
"Good looking pile of heat. What made the pots tip over? Was it wind combined with being top-heavy? Bummer about the branch."

Top heavy + either dogs or wind...unsure. Once they fell over the first time (no telling how long they were laying there) the plants had a pretty substantial lean to them. So they didn't wanna stand up anymore in spite of my best efforts to straighten them out. They are fine today and its pretty windy out there, so I may have it whooped! The branch was no biggie. The plant is still huge (6' tall) and loaded down minus that one, so I won't have a shortage of Black Nagas!

stickman
"+1 on that...I been there brother. I suppose there are worse things than having chiles that are top-heavy because of pod production. The run in this heat sounds brutal. It'll probably drive you to drink.... water that is, and lots of it. Will you be carrying a bladder or will they provide it periodically along the course? Man, your money shots are killin' me here. Good on ya Shane. Cheers"

Yeah, I've lost several others off my Poblanos, Jalapenos and Bells always due to too many pods. Not a terrible predicament to be in!

Johnaton
"Holy cow, the amount of peppers on that table is probably enough to actually kill a fair few men!
May I ask what peppers that are on the top with the green and white striping? They remind me of Fish peppers but look larger and longer in shape ..."

The peppers up top are actually not peppers, they're Okra that I let get too big. There is a bunch of heat on there for sure. I have had a few other harvests a little bigger. They're starting to slow down just a bit, but will still be pumping out good numbers for a while yet!

PaulG
"Outstanding, Shane! Grind, grind, grind
Glad to see the heat is ripening up those pods for you.
We're looking at high 80's peaking at close to 100 by Thursday.
Maybe that will kick some of my plants into ripening up; some
have many pods on them. Hope you get a break in the weather,
although I suppose that's not going to happen this time of year!

Good luck training those Chiefs. At least you're not training recruits
Have a good weekend, my friend!"

Real hot here today...pic to follow. Hope the heat puts some color in motion for you too buddy! Gotta hit your glog up today for sure! "Chief Season" is my favorite time of year!

hooda
"Looks great Shane. Its been so hot out here this week! Stay cool."

Way too HOT!!! Crazy weather. I was up near Corona today freaking BRUTAL! Thanks brudda!

Sanarda
"Woowzers. What a great harvest. Yummy ribs and all. Good growing. Sorry to see your plants toppled but I'm sure they will be just fine. Checked out your photo albums too. Great looking pods an. I am sure super hot. Take care and enjoy that run. Ahhahhaaa"

Thanks for checking out my Galleries! I'm having some fun (and frustration) with the new features. Those ribs were officially BA!

Romy6
"Shane, run a few hundred miles for me. My fat ass needs it :rofl:

Man the pods just keep rolling in. Those harvest shots are macking out :party:

Have a great weekend buddy "

I got your back brother! My first 50 mile race was in FL! Destin Beach 50...50 miles all in the deep sand RIDICULOUS! The plants are for sure doing me proud...got a little blossom drop due to the 100-105 degree days around here, but still setting a few. The cool cali nights are keeping them moving a little. Its all but killed my maters though.

3/5 King
"Holy crap Shane! I'm more jealous of your harvest than I am of your Salmon shirt/back pack combo.....pod fest 2012. Those plants are producing an excellent number of pods. You're "Rich, Bitch" I hope you're hearing Dave Chappelle in your head right now...lol. Nice work, for someone who is constantly busy. I see you had time to stop and smell the flowers.....and shrooms..."

3/5 you're more than welcome to borrow either the shirt, backpack or both any time my man! I am rich over here! I feel like Rick James and enjoying myself!!!

Now that I am done with the book!

Here are some pics from today...
P1020268.jpg

Couple buddies before the run...

Here are some scenery pics...
IMG00565.jpg

IMG00564.jpg

IMG00563.jpg

IMG00562.jpg

IMG00559.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Yup...109, and that was cruising down the Mountain. I would really like to know how hot it was on the southern side of the mountain we were running on among the boulders. Was hot enough that I thought we may actually have to call search and rescue to take one girl down the mountain. We had several gallons of water saved at the turnaround point and carried extra for her and just walked her back down. We were about 5 miles from the nearest fire road at that point and it would have required a Helo to get her out. Never seen her or her husband on the trail before today...and they were painfully unprepared for the run. The guy that posted the run put up a disclaimer about the heat today and that only well seasoned runners should come out. I bet we don't see them again until fall...if ever. Nuff non pepper stuff.

Came home to relax in my pepper bordered swimming pool and saw this...
gallery_5729_17_3718763.jpg

Hmmmm...WTF is eating my Manzanos???

gallery_5729_17_3254662.jpg

Mo#$#% F@#@$ Hornworms!!!!! This one was freakishly huge.

As was...
gallery_5729_17_256426.jpg

This one! They're eating my freaking pods!!! I promised the wife and kids I would relocate them and not smush them. So I executed the High Speed Horizontal Relocation Program and threw them as hard as I could at their new food source a Sweet Gum behind my fence...They both failed to execute the maneuver due to the extreme speed at which they crashed into the tree trunk...damn. Poor little dead hornworms...

Gonna try to catch up on some or you all's grow now...Hope you're having a great weekend folks,
Shane

Dang, Shane those hornworms are mo fo's.

Wouldn't take long for a few of those to mow down some pepper plants!
Guess vigilance is in order. Sorry to hear they didn't have the skill to
execute the vertical landing maneuver :party: Hope they enjoyed their last meal!

Hope you get to relax a little the rest of the weekend, bud. Regards to family.

I am your 46,965th visitor and we still have 5 months. :crazy:
??????????????????????? Its nuts??? :crazy: I think my glog must be linked to an adult site somehow...sure they're pretty pissed when they get here! :rofl:

Dang, Shane those hornworms are mo fo's.

Wouldn't take long for a few of those to mow down some pepper plants!
Guess vigilance is in order. Sorry to hear they didn't have the skill to
execute the vertical landing maneuver :party: Hope they enjoyed their last meal!

Hope you get to relax a little the rest of the weekend, bud. Regards to family.
They were freakin huge...and really did some damage. I only found those two, but I looked for like 10 minutes before I found the first one, and it was right out in the open??? Funny how a critter that big can stay unseen. I am certain there are many more out there. They ate about 6 or 7 big pods off that plant!

Here is a little bonus powder making album. Not a lot of pics, but not a tough process. The most important hint I can share is leave them in the dehydrator until they're crunchy. If there is any flex left in the pods it'll clump up once done or won't grind well...
[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:18]

Gotta take momma to dinner now. Just the two of us old folks. Kids all have better places to be... :mope:

Wow Shane plants falling off due to be top heavy is a great and awful thing I am starting to get branches that are hanging low and almost breaking off due to busting the rope so wire tie have become neccessary.The pods and powder look amazing. That sucks about the rocoto and atleast you were able to send the horn worm into a crash landing. Hope everything is going well

1. Loud noises in the Goat locker? :rofl:

2. I did a sixer tonight in the marsh - I've given less blood in a year-felt like I was naked in Panama- the worst part was the "cool down"-Holy sh*t raped by insects, haha-keeps your pace jacked though...end result, fluids lost ...2-3 quarts of water, and who knows how much blood. On the high way shoulders in the dark, not gonna do that for a while again. Makes cold Shiner taste like nectar though....after a Kill Cliff, a quart or so of water ,and an oral IV ;)...168# pre run; 166# back at the ship after drinking the aforementioned.I am soooo glad I didn't see those trail pictures first. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
3. Feed those horn worms to the Alligator lizards!!!!
4. That DT IS WILD LOOKIN!
5. Duct tape fixes everything :dance: :dance: :dance:
Have a good one-
Dave

oh..and thats some GIANT okra!

Hey...
In your final pick on the "Making Powder" Pic series. You asked what "...sweet fruit would dry/powder well...".
Well...
If you want to really get a nice taste and the heat blast too!
Try drying mangoe then making mangoe powder.
Used to make my curry sauces with dried mangoe powder and WOW, what a great mix with hot peppers!
Mark
(Was a cook for almost 20 years...)

I promised the wife and kids I would relocate them and not smush them. So I executed the High Speed Horizontal Relocation Program and threw them as hard as I could at their new food source a Sweet Gum behind my fence...They both failed to executed the maneuver due to the extreme speed at which they crashed into the tree trunk...damn. Poor little dead hornworms...

Ha! That's awesome.

I was thinking about your run yesterday while driving. A 100 mile run is about as extreme as it gets. I know its obvious, but that's four marathons. Many years ago I used to run 15 miles three times a week. Even with that I can't even comprehend a 100 mile run.

100 deg temps can't stop you...........cause you da "Marathon Man".......................... :cool:
Nice harvest shot! That amount will keep you busy, some saucing and some powders.................I can just see it.
Interesting update.......as always...

Greg

Back