• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc's comeback down south grow...

Hey THP...been a while and much has changed for me and my family. We accepted orders to Charleston, SC and now reside in a small town just north of there called Moncks Corner. I haven't really had a grow in three years, so it is going to be nice getting back out in the dirt. My modest list thus far:

Red Brain Strain 7 pot:   coheed
Orange Brain Strain 7 pot: gnslngr
7 pot Monster Infinity: gnslngr
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate: gnslngr
Reaper 
Charrapita Yellow
Primo X (my cross)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
SB7J: Romy 6???
Naga Reaper
Fatalii
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Barrackpore
Large Yellow Brain Strain
Yellow Bhut: Spicegeist
Yellow 7 Pot Primo: Romy 6
UBSC
7 Pot Rennie
Brown Moruga
Butch T
Douglah x Butch T: gnslngr
Yellow Cardi Scorpion: Romy6

I sowed 3 seeds each for these varieties, but expect some no shows. Many of these seeds are almost 10 years old. My grow setup will be two grow tents with 300w Mars Hydro LED lights on the seedlings and as they get bigger they will graduate to 600w Mars Hydros. My main garden this year will be in straw bales, but I may keep a few indoors under lights all season. 

The Baccatum and Annuum lists to follow...

I've missed growing and the THP community.

stc3248 said:
The main reason is my wife likes them in the garden, so it helps her put up with the rest of my plants. They aren't inedible and most ornamental peppers are pretty hot and make decent pepper flake with a little added garlic and onion.

Ah ok, so there can be some kind of use for em. I like the garlic and onion flakes idea

Devv said:
Gotta keep the wife happy; 80% of the garden is for her. And then there's the Pineapples..LOL. I finally have her loving the peppers, not the hotter ones, but some respectable heat here and there. We certainly give less a way now..
Aint it the truth... except in my case 80% is for me she has the thumb of death
Ive got my wife the same way with enjoying the peppers so we dont give em away often, my pineapple has been a pain. No major growth, prob need to switch it to acidic soil

PaulG said:
+1, Shane.

What is your 'recipe' for the flakes?
I like them but need to change it up a bit!
I just dump stuff in until I think it tastes right??? I use the food processor or blender for flake...If its powder I use the old coffee grinder. Usually just garlic and onion powder, but occasionally I dump in some sea salt for hot salt.  

Devv said:

Gotta keep the wife happy; 80% of the garden is for her. And then there's the Pineapples..LOL. I finally have her loving the peppers, not the hotter ones, but some respectable heat here and there. We certainly give less a way now..

Momma has a dark brown thumb much like GPR's wife. She's not a big fan of most flowers...and the ones she does like are super difficult. 

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:

Ah ok, so there can be some kind of use for em. I like the garlic and onion flakes idea

Aint it the truth... except in my case 80% is for me she has the thumb of death
Ive got my wife the same way with enjoying the peppers so we dont give em away often, my pineapple has been a pain. No major growth, prob need to switch it to acidic soil
My wife only likes the ornamentals, Numex style green chiles like big jim or 6-4 and mildish jalapenos for poppers. Never grown pineapple. 

So in keeping with the curiosities of my starts this season...I got 2 MOA's to sprout seeds from pepper joes, they are both falling way behind in size to the other starts, but are looking better lately and picking up steam...on to the strangeness...both of these sprouts forked at the primary node with no interference from me.

VB1cG2P.jpg

6xQkUtL.jpg

First one...

LFT7Ire.jpg

yilr2Bu.jpg

#2...super strange. Anyone else growing MOA's from PJ's? Any similar experiences???

ybzcjbo.jpg

The rest of those remaining in the tent...all finally looking really happy with what's going on.

GhsNZLR.jpg

including this bhutiful girl right here! Something about the flavor and overpowering but not unusable heat of the OG superhot.
Crazy when the ghost is in the bottom 2 of my chinenses on the scoville scale. :crazy:  Only those two little MOA's will fall below. Don't know about the little mystery plant yet either so maybe 3rd to last.

3PdNl3q.jpg

some of the big boys that have been moved to the work bench, a couple are finally beginning to fork...

Hs03Rtm.jpg

The tallest of the indoor plants...Yellow Devil's Tongue.

b5LAmWA.jpg

There's also a little of this going on! :dance:  I know they're not gonna set, but , maybe I can get a flower to open before they fall. :pray:

Hope all of y'all are having the good kinda problems like running out of space because the plants are doing awesome! 

Sorry I dropped off for a WHILE but my computer crapped out after only a little over a month...and I was trying to get it warrantied to no avail. Anywhoooooo,,,new puter up and running. I gave away about half my starts and kept 2 of pretty much each variety. They are loving live in their new permanent homes. Some are podding up nicely and others on the verge. I will try to snap a few pics today and finally do a real update. 

thanks for checking in...see y'all in a bit.

So...not much time for explanations, but hopefully you'll get the idea...

So I have 55(ish) plants I kept...of which I may (probably) lose one because it almost completely snapped at the base during a thunder storm a few weeks back...its a tepin, but that is one of the varieties that I have several extras. The purple/green/white variegated ornamental plants are the jigsaw ornamentals which I am really liking. I also have several Newmex twilights that are really looking great including the ones pictured along side my roses. The hay bale garden produced some amazing collard greens, kale and lettuce over the late winter and are now home to some cukes, squash, wild strawberries, Jalapenos and Green Chiles along with some onions and flowers to fill in the gaps and they are doing fantastic as well. Fatalli, Bhut, Moruga, Yellow Devil's Tongue, Tepin, jalapeno and green chiles are podding up along with the ornamental varieties. Hope to catch up on your seasons soon...happy growing!
Shane

Y0WFCWw.jpg

078bBko.jpg

NGsnDQ2.jpg

ZRqc3yt.jpg

R0yKesf.jpg

txkaGf8.jpg

3x5kuEg.jpg

DQEBUsu.jpg

THptGkW.jpg

ZOFRFdu.jpg

Speaking of brickwork, the first picture in your most recent post had me momentarily confused about which glog I was in. I thought at first (for about a nanosecond) I was in my own; that's how similar that bit of brick is to my house. Then I registered the plant; none of my plants have that much foliage.

When was that tepin started?

Sawyer said:
Speaking of brickwork, the first picture in your most recent post had me momentarily confused about which glog I was in. I thought at first (for about a nanosecond) I was in my own; that's how similar that bit of brick is to my house. Then I registered the plant; none of my plants have that much foliage.

When was that tepin started?
The first Tepin Popped on the 28th of January...I believe I planted them around 10 days prior to that. They're from pepper lover, but I have several different looking plants. Interested to see how the pods look on all of them.

Guess I know where to come steal some replacement bricks if I need them!

Devv said:
Glad to see you're in the dirt!

Looking good buddy!
Thanks brotha! Gonna try to peek into your world here in a bit!

Pepper-Guru said:
Everything is looking sooo good in here! Happy to see you getting planted out! Really pretty plants youve raised here :)
Thanks Rich...aside from some wind damaged leaves during hardening they are looking strong! So many ladybugs here compared to California...much less trouble with aphids and mites so far. Temps here should be near the same or a little lower with more humidity...hope to keep them healthy, but not too familiar with these conditions. 

Back