• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stepping on pepper plants while they are little.

soo when I was visited india, the orphanage I stayed at had a pepper field

065.jpg

I was talking to some of the kids about how they grow them and stuff.
& they all said to get a stong base you HAVE to step on them when they are little. they said they will look dead, but they'll come back.

I know that you dont HAVE too, but would it help at all?
it seems stupid to me personally. xD

I can see it working actually. Ima test this theory out, anyone want to volunteer some seedlings? :lol:

We people frequently do more harm to plants than good...... I'm *fairly* certain that mamma nature knows how to strengthen stems just by sending some wind their way.

Well.. it definitely doesn't kill the grass. Good luck stepping on container-started plants without squashing the roots, though. That is, before it is transplanted into the ground.

I've crushed a few this year... on accident.. All but 1 has come back strong. They're a little shorter though.. If you break the stem, they'll bush out more so long as you don't go overkill on it.

I'm all about nature doing its job and all..and weeding out the weak ones and stuff..but um...I think I will pass on stepping on my babies :)
I did step on a few of my wifes tomato plants.and trust me..they didnt get stronger..they died cause I snapped the stem lol

What is the success ratio?
How many die in the process?

don't really think it's been tested yet. well by anyone here.
& i'd say look at the picture of the field they were all planted like in perfect row, the ones that aren't there died somehoww.
so tha'd be my best guess ?

Well, we probably wouldn't agree with growing them in what appears to be a rice paddy, either.

So, to each his own. Maybe a local tradition more than pepper science.

i've accidentally stepped on seedlings before and they do come back, but they all grow quite the same to me actually.

soo when I was visited india, the orphanage I stayed at had a pepper field

065.jpg

I was talking to some of the kids about how they grow them and stuff.
& they all said to get a stong base you HAVE to step on them when they are little. they said they will look dead, but they'll come back.

I know that you dont HAVE too, but would it help at all?
it seems stupid to me personally. xD

There are multiple techniques for slowing upward growth of plants with the benefits being thicker stems, and more bud growth( I'm talking growth shoots and potential for more flowers).
Some of these techniques include topping or cropping, low stress training(hormone redirect), the unpredictable fimm method, or general abuse. One of the safer ways to do this is simply squeeze lightly on your stem until there is a slight pop feeling, you can also bend the stems slightly. Experience with this will tell you when, where, and how to abuse but not kill your plants. Hope this helps.

Back