• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

PaulG said:
Wow, 4 years already   :eek:  You may have to corral
that plant in its 20-gallon tub next season! In a tub
that size an Aji Amarillo can easily hit 5-7 feet!

Can't wait to see your paste results.

Had some of your chokecherry/rocoto jelly on a pork
chop, on some toast and on a pbj sandwich. Pure heaven,
brother. Perfect heat and wonderful flavor! Thanks for
that, my friend!
My pleasure, Mistuh G! That stuff is an ambrosia to me...

Aphid Squish going on today. The ONLY unaffected plant is the Aji Amarillo, likely the isolation in the mudroom keeps her safe...

Back to the Squish!

0b0f15eb88751a9ca653cb5f56a0b96a.jpg

Coring Gelbe Riesen Yellows for stuffing and De Sedas waiting their turn. I've never seen such large seeds as the G Riesen, looked like small raisins!
20191109_123406_001.jpg

I'm putting the G Riesen placentas in with my Turbo Pubes in the freezer, likely make jelly with. Heat level is similar.

The De Sedas are downright mild. Gotta wonder if this is genetic or environmental...nice & plump, though.

Who else has pocket gophers? If you do you'll know the significance of this.
20191109_145538.jpg

From 30 yards with a 20ga Benelli Nova. I have never nor have I met anyone who claimed to shoot one of these. They simply don't show themselves above ground.
20191109_145705.jpg

I saw a plume of dirt shoot up out of the lawn out of the corner of my eye, grabbed the shotgun...and waited for another. After about 3 minutes another small fistful of dirt flew up, and I aimed at the dirt mound and pulled the trigger.

This guy had a dozen mounds strewn around the back yard and drainfield, I had plans to gas him out. Let's pray he was a loner....

I've seen no activity since. It's possible this was a female with a nestful of pups down below (rodentia has no mating season), but if they're not digging themselves they're as good as fertilizer.

I used to trap them as a kid, county had a 30-cent per critter bounty on them, that was DOUGH in the early 70s...

stettoman said:
I've seen no activity since. It's possible this was a female with a nestful of pups down below (rodentia has no mating season), but if they're not digging themselves they're as good as fertilizer.

I used to trap them as a kid, county had a 30-cent per critter bounty on them, that was DOUGH in the early 70s...

When I was a kid it was 50 cents for a porcupine nose.

I don't know why. They actually seem pretty innocuous
to me. I have always thought they are interesting animals,
both in appearance and habits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_porcupine

PaulG said:

When I was a kid it was 50 cents for a porcupine nose.

I don't know why. They actually seem pretty innocuous
to me. I have always thought they are interesting animals,
both in appearance and habits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_porcupine

We have the porcupines, not so much right here, but they're pretty thick north and east of us. No bounty that I know of, but the tribes will buy them from you for their ceremonial gear...

They are herbivores so technically you could eat the meat raw though I can't verify that. Their love of salt is what draws them to outhouses and I suspect the meat is salty like some fish. But being a rodent you'd want to check them for worms etc all the same things you'd check a deer for. 

PtMD989 said:
My FIL said that porcupines would eat the siding on his cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, there are a lot of critters up here who enjoy a diet of various construction materials, from red squirrels to pileated woodpeckers.

Well it looks like there isn't but a few days left of 2019, and I can't say I'll miss it. It will hold a lot of memories, I'll give it that....

I picked the last pods of the year yesterday, the bulk of my Aji Amarillos. I was going to make a paste of them, but I came across a blurb in a Peru-centric blog that suggested I simply seed and freeze, making for "fresh" paste made when I need it.

So that's whut ah done...
aji amarillo slices.jpg

I have quite a few frozen varieties, mostly Rocotos scheduled for jelly/jam production of one intensity or another, and a nice round pound of Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnets to make hot sauce later on...

I have near all the seed I need for next years grow, sans three varieties that I'm sure will appear at the right time. I missed out on Aji Limos this last season, but my Limo plants were "accidental", from seed mixed into a large package of Peruvian Aji Amarillo seeds from PaulG, who apparently received them like that from friends in Peru itself. THOSE are the plants I want to grow again, so I'm going through leftovers of what Paul sent me 4 years ago in the hope that the wrinkly Chinense phenotype of it's seeds will belie any more Aji Limos in that pack. Those peppers were fantastic and actually made it to the tables of more than a few friends.

I do remember that the seedling stems of the Aji Limos were purple, as opposed to the straight green of that Aji Amarillo strain.

In any case, thanks to all for helping me through another great pepper grow, ups and downs and everything....Time for an adult beverage, I think....

:drunk:  :beer:
:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Back