• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

Well...I have 26 plants in the house now, most infested to one degree or another with the aphids. Once I get pods pulled I will be trimming dow to rid the bugs of open range on which to feed and choosing who spends the Off Season with us and who..........doesn't...

I may require support in my decisions, thanks in advance...

Oh, and
0b0f15eb88751a9ca653cb5f56a0b96a.jpg

Thanks Paul, one of my favorite ducks, too....

Hey, a little process progress: I put a gallon of chokecherry/Rocoto cure sauce together for my butcher friend to make a test batch of beef jerky (he's calling it "Sweet'n'Sassy", says the heat profile of Rocotos should make a PERFECT jerky flavor), then rewarded myself with a batch of Rocoto Rojo jelly, which also turned out PERFECT.
20191022_173517.jpg

Another batch of chokecherry/Rocoto jelly is next, then another straight Rocoto, maybe Turbo Pube, maybe Arequipa, maybe.....???

Wow, buddy, your box arrived today. Looked like someone
played football with it, but everything arrived safe and sound,
as you can see!
2918D051-3D87-475E-814D-1FDD5DC6B52D.jpeg

Many thanks are not enough, Eric. Cannot wait to try some
of the awesome goodness in that jar! You increased my
c. pubescens varieties by 1000% !

PaulG said:
Wow, buddy, your box arrived today. Looked like someone
played football with it, but everything arrived safe and sound,
as you can see!
attachicon.gif
2918D051-3D87-475E-814D-1FDD5DC6B52D.jpeg
Many thanks are not enough, Eric. Cannot wait to try some
of the awesome goodness in that jar! You increased my
c. pubescens varieties by 1000% !

My pleasure and then some, Paul! Paying forward (rather paying BACK in your case) is one of the really satisfying aspects of hobbying with The Pepper People!

I'm glad I'm already to the point where I have what I have to offer, and as you see on those labels, shared blessings from others as well!

PaulG said:
Right you are, Eric!

Cannot go wrong with CD seed!

Oh man, I'm feeling the pressure now!  

Don't sleep on that Ecuador Red Rocoto.  I grew Stetto's Ecuador seeds this season and the plants were super vigorous right out of the gate and solid producers.

And a news update.  The XL Brown just flashed today, so I'm expecting ripe pods and seeds soon!

stettoman said:
Hey, a little process progress: I put a gallon of chokecherry/Rocoto cure sauce together for my butcher friend to make a test batch of beef jerky (he's calling it "Sweet'n'Sassy", says the heat profile of Rocotos should make a PERFECT jerky flavor)...
And the first batch of jerky is in!
20191025_113229.jpg

It is yummy! He's using about a half gallon of sauce to 20 lbs of beef, so I'd have to call it mild, but the sauce was made with Turbo Pubes. Next batch will include hotter varieties.

Thing is, this jerky is so flavor balanced and the heat component so well mannered (it sneaks up very slowly, lingers only 10 or 15 minutes, like a Rocoto, no?), I couldn't stop eating!
20191101_115628.jpg

We traded in product on the first batch, but will need to work out a deal after this...

Then next season.....

CaneDog said:

Oh man, I'm feeling the pressure now!  

Don't sleep on that Ecuador Red Rocoto.  I grew Stetto's Ecuador seeds this season and the plants were super vigorous right out of the gate and solid producers.

And a news update.  The XL Brown just flashed today, so I'm expecting ripe pods and seeds soon!
I can hardly wait to try out some of the pubescens.
I may dial the superheats back a tad next season.

stettoman said:

These guys will make a brat out of it, they're pretty crafty with the brats...

Those packages of jerky look great.

A gallon of sauce   :shocked:  You are a machine, Eric!

CaneDog said:
Getting turbo pube jerky from your butcher is freakin' awesome!  I might have to try making that at home sometime.  I'd need to track down the jerky tray for the Nesco, though, so that's sounding like a 'next-year' plan. 

You know, if you used brown rocotos they'd color match the jerky better ;)

I just deseeded the Mini Browns today, Butch. SURPRISE! They're pink on the inside! Extremely mild snacking heat, not as sweet as other Pubes I've grown.

PaulG said:
Looks like you had a hard time getting some LOT seed   :rofl:

Yeah, I get kind of obsessive with the seeds. The LOTs took a couple hours, but I wanted a smoked seedless powder, ya do what ya gots ta do...

It's getting close to Paste Day. I checkes a couple sites for recipes, discovered there is but one ingredient.

There may not be much, but I know it will be EPIC!
20191105_110115.jpg

I expect this old girl (she'll be 4 next month!) to go full amazon next year in a new 20 gallon tub...

Wow, 4 years already   :eek:  You may have to corral
that plant in its 20-gallon tub next season! In a tub
that size an Aji Amarillo can easily hit 5-7 feet!

Can't wait to see your paste results.

Had some of your chokecherry/rocoto jelly on a pork
chop, on some toast and on a pbj sandwich. Pure heaven,
brother. Perfect heat and wonderful flavor! Thanks for
that, my friend!

Back