• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

PaulG said:
Hey, friend. Looks like you have some bright spots in
your grow season, Eric! Gotta hand it to you for doing
the OW thing. Makes growing a 12 month a year job!

Really glad to see the Aji Amarillo and Red Rocoto
are still doing it for ya!
Yup, between devoting to a container-only grow and a much more forgiving Autumn than last year (that frost forecast wound up to be a 41° morning),I'm going to have better than predicted returns!

3 of your contributions to my 2019 fortune are some plump Aji Amarillo from your Peruvian source (3 years old!) and my PdeN X BmJ white & violet. Thanks!
20190930_111552.jpg

20190930_111632.jpg

20190930_111749.jpg

My problem now, besides aphid issues, is choosing my OWs for this year. The Aji Amarillo and P Dreadie are obvious, but I don't have the room to house all that I want. For now, EVERYONE stays until ripe. Then I call in the Death Panel....

We've taken a turn towards frigid, high of 45° today, they forecast Indian Summer next week, we will see. If we're getting a frost, this'll be the week.

Surprisingly a lot of my slow to ripen peppers have decided that this is the week as well, most notably Rocotos and my P Dreadies. Unfortunately my Dreadies couldn't handle the weird humidity this season, as half of them were filled with black fuzzy mold, and one had a pepper growing inside it!
20191003_121038.jpg

But I did pull a nice pile of healthy Dreadies, with a few more to come, that I want to make a hawtsauce with, though I may research recipes for a while to find the right one...
20191003_114621.jpg

So the downswing is come. I'll pick some ripe fruit, decide on OWs, and trim 'em down....

...more to post, but I'm cooking spicy right at the moment...

skullbiker said:

Not to make you feel bad, BUT, my forecast for the week! It feels great to begin this time of the year.

attachicon.gif
6F1B6942-0831-4A3D-B598-095C271721B4.jpeg

Yeah, you're mean. But you'll miss growing up here, you just wait.

...and instead of 6 months of tough sleddin' you gotta deal with your snowmobile in a shed year round (yeah, take THAT!)

:seeya:

CaneDog said:
Seems like a lot came through for you toward the end and you made the most out of a challenging summer season. 

Looking forward to the indoor show now!

I'm gonna say that this was, all told, the single worst season I've ever survived...though the growing turned out to be a huge diversion for me. Loss of parents, other family with serious medical emergencies, lots of little "things" piling up, it would have been an easy quit. I'm almost thankful for the challenge....but not the aphids.

And yeah Dog, lots of plants did right by me, and the indoor show will be a pleasure to share!

...just not the aphids...

Devv said:
Sorry your season is pretty much done :mope:

You did well buddy! The PD's look great!

Aye Scott, this part of the season is always a bit bittersweet, but having been raised here you'd think I'd be oblivious to other climates, right?

Then came the internet. And Glogs. And guys like SkullBiker pokin' me right in the sore spot like that..... :hi:

Malarky said:
Heres to 2020! Start that OW and seed list!
Malarky said:
Those green Amarillos make great sweet pickled pepper rings!

Just like you, eh Matt? Yessir, I'll be on that seed plan like stink on a roadkill. My 8th acre is being downsized next year, I'm finding that I don't have an 8th acre heart any more, so I'm going to focus on peppers and smaller volumes of my other interests...

I hear ya on the green Amarillos, and might even try it, though I'm not particular to pickled anything. Mayhaps I'll invent a brined version...Do they differ in heat between green and ripe?

So the experts at NWS forecast panic and doom, so I brought everybody in...
20191011_092345.jpg

That dead-ish plant is my Throwdown Sri Lanka Chilli, guess it couldn't take the 30s...

We got snow, but it melts as it touches down. No wind whatsoever.

But that's ok, my friends in Devils Lake ND sent me this shot about ten minutes ago. They're about 200 miles northwest of me.
21012.jpeg

At least they can get around their garage!

Devv said:
dead-ish...you kill me.

52° here right now. Windy as hell..
Actually Scott, I gave 'er a sip of water and in an hour she'd perked enough to tell me I can let the remaining green pods be to start to turn ripe....
2019-10-11 17.50.21.jpg

Our last 52° for the year is behind us, I'm afraid...but sure, follow skullbikers lead and poke away....

Back