• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

Oh yeah, we have several recipes for the asparagus, mostly grilled, olive oil, garlic, lemon pepper, a dash of Serrano or Aleppo powder, sometimes some of Chris Joyner's Thai powders, eee-ummy!

What I hate is having to freeze it. Any you guys have a method besides blanching or steaming? I want to try freezing it grilled, but I keep eating it all.... :drooling:

stettoman said:
Oh yeah, we have several recipes for the asparagus, mostly grilled, olive oil, garlic, lemon pepper, a dash of Serrano or Aleppo powder, sometimes some of Chris Joyner's Thai powders, eee-ummy!

What I hate is having to freeze it. Any you guys have a method besides blanching or steaming? I want to try freezing it grilled, but I keep eating it all.... :drooling:

My parents cultivated white asparagus commercially. Asparagus with white sauce was the standard, also often asparagus fried in a liberal amount of butter and with bacon. Asparagus that we put in the freezer was only to make soup. Our typical asparagus soup was with chervil (lots).

White asparagus cultivation:

w5XGWIs.jpg

k0p9LAc.jpg

stettoman said:

My parents cultivated white asparagus commercially. Asparagus with white sauce was the standard, also often asparagus fried in a liberal amount of butter and with bacon. Asparagus that we put in the freezer was only to make soup. Our typical asparagus soup was with chervil (lots).

White asparagus cultivation:

w5XGWIs.jpg

k0p9LAc.jpg

jUshZZw.jpg

The wind stopped yesterday afternoon. From a constant 25mph to nothing,
instantaneously. It blew for a week, night and day.

We got an inch and a quarter of highly electified rain Wednesday night.

...the garden liked it. Everything jumped to attention. Tomatillos are stars of the circus so far...
20200619_084656.jpg

The peppers are fixin' to take a leap at the sky. Lots of flowering going on already. First blossom?
One of Bryan's Haskorea. Don't get cocky, boy. They're all hot on it's heels. The Jimmy Nardellos are going to pod up first, I already know it.
20200619_084717.jpg

And the Gita asparagus beans are really impressive: 100% germination. Johnny's Seeds. The King of the Garden Limas, not as much, maybe at 60-70%. Reimer Seeds.
20200619_084820.jpg

The container queens are looking better too, the XL Brown Rocoto is pumping out the flowers, unfortunately I'm getting 100% blossom drop for now. That should change once weather stabilizes a bit.

Too lazy to post more pics. But I'll be back...

...one day.......

Looking nice!

I remember these trellises from my childhood :) My father used to plant them in a teepee shape and I used to hide inside. He always planted two different cultivars: flat beans (delicious with bacon) and something of which I don't know the English equivalent... Very big white pea beans we used to make soup... We called them "peasant toes".

You have cabbage as well?

1bcec90810d2849e8a0633ed386a0e934f0f9890.jpg

ahayastani said:
Looking nice!

I remember these trellises from my childhood :) My father used to plant them in a teepee shape and I used to hide inside. He always planted two different cultivars: flat beans (delicious with bacon) and something of which I don't know the English equivalent... Very big white pea beans we used to make soup... We called them "peasant toes".

You have cabbage as well?

1bcec90810d2849e8a0633ed386a0e934f0f9890.jpg

Wow Dieter, those look like monster Limas!  There is a variety I haven't tried to grow because of cost of seed, but the beans are PALM sized! A chef I knew at a country club in Rio Verde AZ would make a ham & bean soup with them, using just one bean per bowl...

No cabbage, I can't keep up with the worms, but I love the broccoli and brussels. I'm growing a few oriental veggies for the first time as well; the pictured Gita beans, baby corn and Touchon carrots. It's not a real ambitious garden this year, but it is more focused. I'm growing more tomato plants than I ever have, going for a good canning year. Usually just one or two Amish Paste, this year I got six, and then two Abraham Lincoln and two Legend heirlooms.

...then there are the tomatillos, which I've never grown before but apparently am really good at it...

PaulG said:
They remind me of Spanish Fava beans.
Very popular in the north for hearty dishes.

They indeed look similar, but the ones shown and the ones I have in mind certainly are of the genus phaseolus. They are not that common anymore due to a changing cuisine and eating patterns, but they could be found in every garden when I was a kid - like thirty years ago. I guess it is considered a not-sexy food for old people today...

Stetto, tomatillo is indispensable if you want to make green salsas and like to add that extra acidic touch. I usually make a green sauce combined with nopales or snake beans. For our family: Cook nopeles or beans until tender and drain water. Sauce: 5 or 6 tomatilloes + 2 or 3 jalapeños in water > bring to soft boil and remove tomatilloes before they burst open > blender (I usually do not add much water because I like thick sauces). In a skillet > fry onion + garlic > add 1 or 2 whisked eggs > add beans or nopales > add blended sauce > allow it to boil for some time at low fire (~10 mins). Add salt to taste. Adding cilantro enhances taste, especially with nopales.

Tybo, already exists :)

Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California

Man, asparagus, Nopalitos (Nopales), tomatillo......I love all of this, but I never grow them. Some Cacti, but.....

There IS wild asparagus around here.....but it's tick-city searching for it.

Your garden looks great!!! Such a bummer it's so damp. I have a Oaxaca de Pasilla doin pretty well. I'm thinking Relleno. I have I think a nardello and another hatch-like going, but they're small.

Pubescens look great! They must love the coolness up there. I put my large brown rocoto (different source) in a shade row. The Oro kills it in that spot. It's sunny here, but that row gets 50-60% more shade.
3faRsQP.jpg

Fantastic work, Eric!!! Looking awesomely!!!

Back