• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

PaulG said:
Cool-looking garden fungi pics always make
me feel like I'm in an elf jungle.

:high:

Yeah, me too, Paul...but these got really ugly the next day...Shoulda took pics!

OK, Monday the 13th update, short, real short. Basically, what's growing is now growing good, especially the weeds, kindly ignore the weeds. Been working on it.
There's a squall line on the horizon, got what I could staked and tied up--
7-13-20.jpg

Only question today is the Aji Limos that Uncle Eccoli sent. These are Baccatum. My Aji Limos were Chinense, and the one up on the deck IS Chinense.
7-13 UncaEcc Aji Limo.jpg

7-13 UncaEcc Aji Limo podlet.jpg

I don't have a pic of the Aji Limarillo at the moment, but it's Chinense. It has 4+ blossoms per node and those blossoms are definitely NOT Baccatum...

I have 6 of Unca Ecc's in the dirt, all doing real well, should be an interesting harvest!!

Hey Stetto.  Looks like the 1/8 acre is coming along good.  I was thinking when I saw your pic the other day that your Aji Limarillo looks exactly like my Aji Limo, so I think you're dead on with that ID.  As for baccatums, IIRC Uncle E's grown Aji Lemon and Sugar Rush Peach - maybe others, too.  That looks maybe a bit like aji lemon to me, though I'm not used to them generally having that much curve to the pods.

CaneDog said:
Hey Stetto.  Looks like the 1/8 acre is coming along good.  I was thinking when I saw your pic the other day that your Aji Limarillo looks exactly like my Aji Limo, so I think you're dead on with that ID.  As for baccatums, IIRC Uncle E's grown Aji Lemon and Sugar Rush Peach - maybe others, too.  That looks maybe a bit like aji lemon to me, though I'm not used to them generally having that much curve to the pods.
Hey 'Dog, long time....I need to find some to do some glog reading around here, busy busy summer...Yeah, I know there are multiple peppers called Aji Limo, so the confusion is understandable. The Aji Limarillo is definitely the Chinense variety whose seeds found their way into PaulG's collection, I simply find it amazing that he never got the same result--The fact that I got another to sprout this year is a testament to the preponderance of those seeds in the mix. Once I get some good ripe pods I'll have a nice specie-specific bagful!  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

PtMD989 said:
I got Aji Limo from the Unc also, I will try to get a pic of for you. [emoji16]

Hey Bryan, they should be pretty tasty, I'll likely do powder with them.

Your (Adam's) Haskorea are enjoying the zone 3 grow season, though I thought the pods were going to resemble the Aleppos, with the blunt ends. But they are more carrot shaped. I'll take a pic if it ever stops raining...then again, you already know what the damned Haskoreas look like, don't you... :think:

Thought I'd show y'all how a couple of my container queens are fairing.

This is my Big Jim, CaneDog-supplied the seed, from Sandia. These will be my seed source for next season. Not one blossom or pod drop on this gurl, really impressive!
7-16-20 BigJim1.jpg

And here is the Chinense version of Aji Limo, inadvertently supplied by PaulG. ALSO not one blossom or pod drop yet.
7-16-20 AjiLimarillo.jpg

The Rocotos are continuing to blossom and drop, though the XL Brown has one nice pod fattening up. The container models aren't flowering nearly as much as those in full sun, time will tell.

There's no time to post more at the moment, we're getting around a quarter inch of rain every few days, keeps the sprinkler turned off. But I'm going to broadcast spray some CNS17 and CalMag as soon as time and mud allows...

I've learned mucho on THP since I came aboard in 2016, not the least of which identifying some bug infestations and how to address them.

My Rocotos are under aphid attack. Not just an assumption. I knew the signs, knew how to find them. NOT from wikipedia or guugle, but from bumbling/stumbling my way through 4 years of you guys. Thanks everyone, really!!

Right after the first treatment with Dr. Bronner's Castile, Aji Oro:
7-17-20 AjiOro1.jpg

7-17-20 AjiOro2.jpg

There aren't many visible yet, but we all know what happens if left to nature...As my pal Barney Fife says, "We need to nip it...IN THE BUD!!"

You saw the aphids? I have a plant doing similar things and guru told me to look for them with a jeweler's loop/tricomb scope, but it could be the time released ferts, I added more fert right before he said that lol. I've never had aphids, so hopefully there is something out there eating them

Walchit said:
You saw the aphids? I have a plant doing similar things and guru told me to look for them with a jeweler's loop/tricomb scope, but it could be the time released ferts, I added more fert right before he said that lol. I've never had aphids, so hopefully there is something out there eating them

Now that I know what to look for, I can usually recognize aphids with the naked eye.  Under a jewelers loupe, you can make out the head and legs much more clearly.

They're usually only a problem for me when my plants are seedlings, and are either inside or transitioning outside.  Once my stuff gets established outside, I usually just ignore the aphids.  I guess I've been lucky enough to have something else in my garden that finds the aphids tasty.  :)

Walchit said:

Yep, not many, but I found the bugs and shed skin, likely came from OWs I brought out with them. If left untreated I've dealt with THAT damage also.

DontPanic said:
Now that I know what to look for, I can usually recognize aphids with the naked eye.  Under a jewelers loupe, you can make out the head and legs much more clearly.

They're usually only a problem for me when my plants are seedlings, and are either inside or transitioning outside.  Once my stuff gets established outside, I usually just ignore the aphids.  I guess I've been lucky enough to have something else in my garden that finds the aphids tasty.  :)
We too are used to mantises, ladybugs, etc. being around to throttle the little effers nonexistant through most of the outdoor portion of the season, but I have seen none this year. I'd like to stay on top of them....

stettoman said:
Hey 'Dog, long time....I need to find some to do some glog reading around here, busy busy summer...Yeah, I know there are multiple peppers called Aji Limo, so the confusion is understandable. The Aji Limarillo is definitely the Chinense variety whose seeds found their way into PaulG's collection, I simply find it amazing that he never got the same result--The fact that I got another to sprout this year is a testament to the preponderance of those seeds in the mix. Once I get some good ripe pods I'll have a nice specie-specific bagful!  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Hey Bryan, they should be pretty tasty, I'll likely do powder with them.

Your (Adam's) Haskorea are enjoying the zone 3 grow season, though I thought the pods were going to resemble the Aleppos, with the blunt ends. But they are more carrot shaped. I'll take a pic if it ever stops raining...then again, you already know what the damned Haskoreas look like, don't you... :think:
My first round of haskorea are coming ripe now. Smaller than a jalapeno and I guess carrot shape describes it well enough. My small plants are loaded with pods. We can trade pics if you want.

Mr.joe said:
My first round of haskorea are coming ripe now. Smaller than a jalapeno and I guess carrot shape describes it well enough. My small plants are loaded with pods. We can trade pics if you want.
I have a few small pods just populating, but the plants are really robust, I think we're about to kick into high production soon...I'll trade you picks then, Joe...

On a weather note, we got a windy inch & a half of rain Friday night, we lost a box elder in the back and of course my sweet corn did what sweet corn does in a storm:
20200718_163455.jpg

Then the head scratcher: just 15 short feet away is a small stand of baby corn, my first attempt. Yes, it went through the same wind, I guess...
20200718_163520.jpg

The peppers all fared well, only lost one branch from the container Aji Oro on the deck...

If one of you says a word about my weed "crop" I'll ban you from my glog....:-)

PtMD989 said:
Weed crop, eh , do ya mean box elder, eh [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, box elder IS a weed, a nasty bug infested weed that some "maple" sappers will use to increase syrup yield. A my place it's a weed.

OK Bryan, you go now.

ahayastani said:

Solanum nigrum, however, is "edible". It is offered here locally as hierba mora.

Sorry, not. What I got is weedum pissmeoffalotum, grows like a weed, procreates like a weed, overwhelms intentional plants LIKE A WEED.

...like cilantro, ya know?

Box elder is a nasty weed tree here also. Make sure you kill it good[emoji16]. And the bugs are something else too. I think I can hear your box elder growing [emoji1787].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back