• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

Thanks Stett, we all on the same page here. CoronaChina sucks and Scott only keeping one letter, I thought the k stays too unless you were gonna have it say Fart China  :rofl:

72 plants, dang I got some catching up to do 

Andy I’m right there with ya cuz friends that had it said Zpac and lots of sun (vitamin D) worked. No vaccine needed just the proper care, there’s homeopathic doctors that have zero fatalities and people are not going icu with the protocols. Unfortunately there’s lots of dirty hands and this whole thing stinks. Hoping the good thing we get out of it is less China manufactured and more Americas manufacturing 

CaneDog said:
Sweet!  Peppers in the ground. Hope the early start pays off for ya this season, stetto. 

Also hope those Big Jim's will need more than a thumbnail sized photo soon too, WTH?  :)

Yeah, dunno what happened. I uploaded the pic and the site told there wasn't enough memory? Posted a thumbnail instead. Hasn't happened since...

Well guys, if I'm gonna get one of Scott's shirts, I want it to say Fuck China, ok? Please? I'm awfully OCD when it comes to spelling, which is why I don't read newspapers anymore either....

stettoman said:

Yeah, dunno what happened. I uploaded the pic and the site told there wasn't enough memory? Posted a thumbnail instead. Hasn't happened since...

Well guys, if I'm gonna get one of Scott's shirts, I want it to say Fuck China, ok? Please? I'm awfully OCD when it comes to spelling, which is why I don't read newspapers anymore either....
Saying "ok? Please?" Is very polite of you, but it's your shirt

Hrmmm. Only down to 40°. I'll call that a win, but what does it AGAIN say for local weather "experts"?

I thought about the sprinkler, Scott, but we are good and wet as it is.

So I built tents with AgFabric and a bunch of upside down plant pots.
20200530_083113.jpg

All the container queens came in but for the Aji Amarillo (20 gallon fabric), and now I will commence to undo...practice drill a success!

I am having dirt issues out there, my pH is over 8.0 on my analog meter. There is very slow to no growth going on...I will try my digital....

Your 1/8 acre looks pretty good, Stettoman!

Sorry you are still having weather issues. We 
just had three days in high 80's, now for a
couple of days in the low 60's than back to
the middle ground.

As for China and forecasting models, let's
remember that we could have acted much
sooner in fighting the novel coronavirus
regardless of what China did. And don't
believe much our government admini-
stration says, especially if it comes from the 
White House.

Modeling chaotic systems is no easy task. I 
think the weather folk do a pretty good job,
really. You have to look at the percentages
and ranges in the forecasts. The words alone
don't tell the story. And ignore the hype from
local weather people. Some of ours feel like
they have to emphasize the worst case scenario
as the forecast.

And I think the predicted severity of the coronavirus
pandemic is playing out in a number of places.
Just look at Brazil to see the effect of leaders with
their heads in the sand. Don't count on a vaccine
anytime soon. Use common sense, which seems
lacking in a lot of the protests going on around the
mitigation efforts. Americans are essentially selfish
as a society, but awesome as individuals.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but our politics
suck now.

I had my soil tested 2 years ago. 8.2, well water 82.-8.4

I've added at least 150, if not 200 yards of organic matter to the 1,600sf  without exaggeration. They say it helps, but not here...LOL

After the soil test I started adding Elemental Sulfur to get the Ph in check. I intend to add more after we're finished, and test early next year.

Show me a 7.0!

Devv said:
I had my soil tested 2 years ago. 8.2, well water 82.-8.4

I've added at least 150, if not 200 yards of organic matter to the 1,600sf  without exaggeration. They say it helps, but not here...LOL

After the soil test I started adding Elemental Sulfur to get the Ph in check. I intend to add more after we're finished, and test early next year.

Show me a 7.0!
Mine tested at 6.99 last year, I've been working to improve my soil overall. I don't know if I've changed ph any or not

Using a gauge like the one posted above mine is looking like 7.5, but I've got little confidence in those gauges.

Do you all have a county extension office nearby?  Ours can send samples to one of our colleges for soil tests. (Virginia Tech)  Fees are not that bad and at least you can trust their results. Providing the sample is taken correctly.
Here's a link that lists fees at VT.
https://www.soiltest.vt.edu/fees-and-forms.html

I haven't had mine checked because I'm still growing in containers.  I wanted a garden spot plowed and tilled last fall but the guy never showed up.  Maybe next season.

Tybo said:
Do you all have a county extension office nearby?  Ours can send samples to one of our colleges for soil tests. (Virginia Tech)  Fees are not that bad and at least you can trust their results. Providing the sample is taken correctly.
Here's a link that lists fees at VT.
https://www.soiltest.vt.edu/fees-and-forms.html

I haven't had mine checked because I'm still growing in containers.  I wanted a garden spot plowed and tilled last fall but the guy never showed up.  Maybe next season.
I may check them out. I dont know anywhere local to me. I sent a sample last year to simplysoiltesting.com ( or something like that) I got a good detailed report back. Logan labs is also a well known and highly regarded lab.

Back