• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

I had no idea. I should have been growing these all along.

There are at least a hundred tomatillos here, one large branch full fell, but has enough connective flesh left that it didn't die on me.

7-22-20 tomatillos.jpg

I should slip some plastic mulch or something under that branch, yes? This muck is really wet right now, another inch of rain fell Sunday night, adding to the inch and a half from Friday...Don't need any premature rotting. :shame:

roper2008 said:
Your Aji Limo, is it the red one?  That’s what I’m growing that I originally got from thegreenchilimonster.  

The Limos I've grown came in both red and yellow, and being as they were an unintended-but-delightful surprise, I had no control over color. Also, I could taste no difference...

I stake tomatillos because the weight of the fruits can become too heavy, especially when combined with rainfall. I planted the tomatillo next to a wooden post and attached a few lattices. The main branches of the plant were tied to the latticework. Smaller branches would occasionally snap off, but I didn't care too much. Plants can literally split in two if they are loaded and unsupported (and wet).

stettoman said:

The Limos I've grown came in both red and yellow, and being as they were an unintended-but-delightful surprise, I had no control over color. Also, I could taste no difference...
I was so sure mine were going to be red, but they are turning yellow.  Either way I’m going to try fermenting for the first time with these.

ahayastani said:
I stake tomatillos because the weight of the fruits can become too heavy, especially when combined with rainfall. I planted the tomatillo next to a wooden post and attached a few lattices. The main branches of the plant were tied to the latticework. Smaller branches would occasionally snap off, but I didn't care too much. Plants can literally split in two if they are loaded and unsupported (and wet).

They were staked but outgrew them. I've tied them lasso-style and anchored them to a t-post. 

roper2008 said:
I was so sure mine were going to be red, but they are turning yellow.  Either way I’m going to try fermenting for the first time with these.

Other than color I don't remember any difference, they were just good, and had a nice, strong-yet-sensible heat to them. Mine are just now producing pods, no color yet...Heat very close to Aji Arnaucho...

Glad to see you are still rollikin’ along, Stetto bro!

Hope your season finishes out great as we roll into
late Summer and Fall.

PaulG said:
Glad to see you are still rollikin’ along, Stetto bro!

Hope your season finishes out great as we roll into
late Summer and Fall.

Thanks Paul!

Hitches in the giddyup notwithstanding, The peppers do appear to be enjoying the 80 degree/55 degree fluctuation we've had the last couple weeks.

This is the year that almost everything mechanical seems to be surrendering to entropy....or negligent maintenance, one...I'm in a constant state of fixing stuff, so little time to spend online, other than ordering parts for various machines...

That Aji Limarillo is pumping out a lot of blossoms and pods, as are my Anaheims, Jimmy Nardellos, Aji Arnaucho, Alleppo, Haskorea, and the Uncle Eccoli Bacaatum Aji Limo...My Antep Aci Dolmas 3) have yet to pod, which seems strange for any Anuum up here. They're all flowering nicely, but not a pod yet.

...The Rocotos are slow, and my OW Arequipena shows absolutely no sign of a flower node yet. By this time last season it had a couple dozen pods and a glorious purple canopy of blossoms. The Darlin' Bride believes it's taking a break this year. :think:

I know that tomatillos are to be picked after the hull splits and browns up, but I have a couple that blew out their "shells" two weeks ago and are the size of a medium-large tomato. I am really tempted....

My Haskorea plants seem to be producing two different phenos; One a 3-5 inch smooth carrot-shaped pod, and the other has a slightly "curled" squiggly-looking pod, not unlike a Jimmy Nardello. I'll post pics when and if I get the opportunity.

Don't forget, my friend, you will be getting seeds from this unintended/unexpected Chinense Aji Limo. I think you'd really enjoy them!

The pics, sorry for resolution.

Haskorea 1, supposedly on-pheno
7-31-20 Haskorea 1.jpg

Aleppo
7-31-20 Aleppo.jpg

Haskorea 2, a little Jimmy-ish
7-31-20 Haskorea 2.jpg

And the Nardello itself...
7-31-20 Nardello.jpg

So Bryan, if you see this post, let me know if your Haskorea was OP and what else may have been in the vicinity, eh? I'm curious...

Oh, and for statistical purposes, this is the lone Rocoto pod of ALL my many Pubescens...An XL Brown (CaneDog)
7-31-20 XL Brown.jpg

So yeah, besides the Antep Aci Dolmas, all my Anuums are pumping them out....

Hey Stetts, yes it was OP If I remember right, I had one plant at work, there was a Anaheim and a Mucho Nacho jalapeño near by that plant. At home, yes on the OP , and I think there was Cayenne and Habanero, and Mucho Nacho near by.
My (this year)Haskorea peppers are looking like #2 version [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Hey Stetts, yes it was OP If I remember right, I had one plant at work, there was a Anaheim and a Mucho Nacho jalapeño near by that plant. At home, yes on the OP , and I think there was Cayenne and Habanero, and Mucho Nacho near by.
My (this year)Haskorea peppers are looking like #2 version [emoji16].

Well then, we may have a hybrid worth waiting for...

Of course I had no reason to isolate, and both of mine are practically touching, and surrounded closely by Anaheim, Big Jim and Aji Arnaucho, so I doubt I'll get reliable outcomes from saving seed...yet still...

I do have small apple bags, maybe worth catching a new flower bud before it opens and hope....

What was the original pheno? #1?

My unintelligent guess from what you describe is a Cayenne/Haskorea cross, but a bee can carry pollen from the next chile-nut's garden down the road, So I suppose we'll call it an adventure!

Good stuff going on up in the GWN.  Those tomatillos are nuts .... mine look the same down here in the middle.  My Haskorea's look like pheno #1 (seeds from PtMD).  

If I remember right, last years Haskorea looked alot like pheno #1. You could be right about the possible cayenne cross, I had 4 cayenne plants next to the home Haskorea plants. This years plants are snuggled up with the Unc Es’ Aji Limo plant [emoji16].
I didn’t separate last years seeds , work plant vs home plants, I mixed them all together. [emoji15].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry_Dangler said:
Good stuff going on up in the GWN.  Those tomatillos are nuts .... mine look the same down here in the middle.  My Haskorea's look like pheno #1 (seeds from PtMD).  

Harry, mine are growing right out of their skin!!
1st Tomatillo 8-02-20.jpg

This one is likely picked early, but what do I know about tomatillos? I always bought mine at the sto'...

PtMD989 said:
If I remember right, last years Haskorea looked alot like pheno #1. You could be right about the possible cayenne cross, I had 4 cayenne plants next to the home Haskorea plants. This years plants are snuggled up with the Unc Es’ Aji Limo plant [emoji16].
I didn’t separate last years seeds , work plant vs home plants, I mixed them all together. [emoji15].

Well Bryan, I guess that will be your shame to shoulder, though I'm excited to see what these taste like and what heat profile we may expect. You say the Haskorea has little heat but great flavor? If Cayenne is the daddy, try to imagine the possibilities!!

Mr.joe said:
I planted 4 haskorea plants, all b look like pheno #1. The two in pots are smaller and less productive, but my potted plants rarely do as well as the ground ones.

I'm so sorry for you, Joe, not having the thrill of a mystery cross in your garden...but I've heard that the on-pheno variety makes for a very savory powder...

roper2008 said:
Your plants are looking nice, especially that Aleppo.

Thanks Linda! It's been a strange year, it took forever for my starts to take off, but once they did they're racing right along! I'm sorry to say that I couldn't get any of your Aji Oro seeds to germ this Spring, but out of around 20 starts I only have 6 total surviving, and they are only now looking to start podding up...I'm getting ripe tomatoes though, and I've never got them to ripen before the middle of August...

...And the chokecherries are ready early too!
Chokecherries Ready 8-02-20.jpg

That is quite a big tomatillo you have, stetto :!: And it's ripe too :)

I searched on youtube and found a video that does a commendable job in showing when tomatillos can be picked. Commendable, since it's short and to the point without a load of :censored: that youtubers sometimes like to add to their presentations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8moGKKP4yI

Chokecherry pickin' has begun. This is all I pulled for today, but the birds don't seem too interested yet so I'm going to stretch this out over the next week.
20200805_151911.jpg

This is all from two smaller bushes up by the house, and there's still a few quarts hanging I haven't picked yet. I think I'm going to need to find a seller of fine, hot Aji Oros...

Chokecherry picking was a huge thing with my Dad & I. We'd spend whole days driving the shelter belts, looking for new stands. Now I got 10 acres full of them. I miss him today.

Back