• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

PaulG said:
Good work, Eric! I don't know about you,
but I am afraid I'll be chucking lots of unripe
pods out this Fall. What a bizarre growing
season here in PNW. Sounds like it has been
a lot like yours!

Hope you get to pull in some of those ripe
pods before Ol' Man Winter gets here.

Is your move to CO starting to look attractive?

Actually Paul, my rancher friend in Hawk Springs WY tells me the entire Front Range got a cold punch in the nose yesterday, their roller coaster ride starts now...

We're looking towards Fountain, a compromise between CO Springs where she wants to be and a little closer to the Arkansas valley, the Hatch NM of Colorado...but the way the world is turning right now, who knows? Maybe they have garden plots in the FEMA camps.... :tear:

CaneDog said:
Good to hear you're still in the game, stettoman!

Me too 'Dog, thanks! I had little to no faith when I saw that thermometer crashing last night, but that warmer groundwater persevered. They say 38 tonight, I'm going to run the sprinkler just one more time, just in case.

Bhuter said:
Not the year for pubes, I’m finding, Eric. I have one brown rocoto that should ripen with a few little guys behind it. Maybe they’re just late season plants, and the late isn’t long enough?????

Anaheims......YES! I need to learn roasting and sauce making. I have a few nardello with one ripening/ripened. What do I do with them? Do they have heat?

Great stuff, Eric!

Hell Adam, I could hardly get the poor little black seeds to pop this year. I think I had 24 Aji Oros in RR pods, and only 6 popped. None of them have been very healthy looking at all. The Ecuador Sweets have yet to pod, and the Aji Largo has a few thumbnail sized marbles on it now. I have TWO XL Brown pods on a deck queen, one ripe, and ONE Ecuador Red that hasn't even grown shoulders yet. The Aji Oro container plant has 15 pods of varying size on it, none mature...

Dewd, the chile roasting is the most pleasurable thing your nose can do for itself at the end of a season! I used the grill this year, but usually I just put 'em under the broiler, about 5 minutes a side. Let them cool, and that skin pretty much slides right off. But even the mild ones will saturate your skin if you have a lot to roast, so wear gloves!!

The Nardellos have no heat. Devv/Scott turned me on to them a few years back, I try to grow a couple every season. I'm getting quite a few this year. Mostly I chop them and they go into pasta sauces and such, but Scott has a bunch of uses for them, like frying them up and dosing pizza...

Oh poop, the duck...
fatduck.jpg

One of my isolated Big Jims, ripe now for a month or more, was starting to soften. Time to harvest some seeds!
Big Jim Seed2.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy...I was actually hoping for a chile with a whompin' load of seed inside, but there are a few more getting close...
These seeds are really plump. Can't wait for March!!
Big Jim Seed.jpg

PaulG Aji Limarillo (Aji Limo), brought in last week. About as hot as I want to handle...
Aji Limarillo1 9-14-21.jpg

This was more than I had expected, I culled two very ripe pods for first seed. 
Absolutely isolated.
Aji Limarillo2 9-14-20.jpg

I went ahead and ate the placenta out of one of these halves. PLENTY hot, no blistering,
I was at least smart enough to wear the roober glooves...

You're going to like these, Paul! You might even wind up adding genetically to the TriPaul adventure!

Arnauchos look good, Eric.
Glad you are getting some pods in.

PaulG said:
Arnauchos look good, Eric.
Glad you are getting some pods in.

Me too, Paul. After that iffy couple of weeks it's been back to a summerish posture here by ol' Ma Nature, 70s, 70s, 70s, with an 80 here and there. There is definitely an advantage

Antep Aci Dolma, a couple Aleppos and a plethora of on-pheno Haskorea. 

Aci Dolma Haskorea Aleppo 9-22-20.jpg

Jimmy Nardellos, Aleppos, Aji Arnaucho and a couple off-pheno Haskorea. Believe it or not I've just about cleaned out the Haskorea plants!

Nardello Aleppo Arnaucho 9-22-20.jpg

I'm going to get a great gob of Big Jim seed this season, beyond my expectations!

Big Jim 9-22-20.jpg

A-a-a-and then there is this, which waited till the middle of July to get off the pot.

Fatalii 9-22-20.jpg

The Aji Amarillo in the 20 gal also took off, there are 25+ pods on 'er, but no sign of ripe, though last years waited till January to turn...I think. 
I failed to take a pic, will do that later...

Little change on the Rocotos, which is greatly disappointing. 

ahayastani said:

Nice ones! I like the Big Jim as well. How do you eat Big Jim? Fresh? Smoked? ...

Mmmm Dieter, we use the Anaheims on virtually every facet of cook that we do. I love growing, picking, roasting, cooking, eating them!

The Ripe ones seem quite a bit more stubborn when it comes to roasting and peeling, but they do have an evolved flavor when ripe. I make a self-styled Chiles Rellenos with whole peeled chiles, Big Jim or otherwise, that look like a thick green pancake. A Mexican lady in Tucson AZ taught me the recipe, and I've NEVER seen it done that way anywhere, restaurant or home made. The dried chiles, lightly salted and broken up into small pieces, are great on a salad in place of croutons. I've heard they're great deep fried too.

I haven't smoked them, but now you got me thinking.... :think:

Back