• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

stettoman said:
I had to measure these, duckless Paul, 'cause they were teensy-weensy, and I'm hoping for the Aji Limo to appear...I have the 3 PaulG Aji Amarillos I wanted!

I Usually just do the duck on my own threads  :lol:

Three Aji Amarillo plants - that’s awesome!
Hope you get your Aji Limo!

PaulG said:

I Usually just do the duck on my own threads  :lol: Well, you can feel free here if you like...I'm not too territorial in the forums... ;) 

Three Aji Amarillo plants - that’s awesome!
Hope you get your Aji Limo!

Well, there's a control to help make the determination: I have a number of Uncle Ecc's Aji Limos popping hot on the tail of the one PaulG Aji Limarillos that came up the other day. At least comparisons can be made...

Pepper Guru suggested I rent a cement mixer to amend and rehabilitate my 100 gallons of used soil. A great idea, but it looks like I'll be using a 4'X5' cement mixing tub and a hoe instead. Out here in the manure paradise I live in biotanicals shouldn't be too hard to acquire....Thanks for the advice, guys! :clap:

stettoman said:

Well, there's a control to help make the determination: I have a number of Uncle Ecc's Aji Limos popping hot on the tail of the one PaulG Aji Limarillos that came up the other day. At least comparisons can be made...

Pepper Guru suggested I rent a cement mixer to amend and rehabilitate my 100 gallons of used soil. A great idea, but it looks like I'll be using a 4'X5' cement mixing tub and a hoe instead. Out here in the manure paradise I live in biotanicals shouldn't be too hard to acquire....Thanks for the advice, guys! :clap:
And then there can be smaller batches for the old in us :shh:

So I've been having an issue with the Big Jims. On some, the cotyledons are actually burnt about halfway down the leaf, and when they do hook, they're taking actual days to finally fully emerge. None of the other varieties are doing this, and more or less half of the Big Jims themselves are coming up deformed like this. Could it be from the mild Mycho soak I did with the RR pods? or might there be a genetic thing going on? These deformed sprouts, so far, are still ultimately forming true leaves, but very slowly. I see how fast some of you have plants developing and I have to wonder, besides holding my face wrong, what part I might have played in this...

:shocked:  Damn!  It's a tough crowd today!    :)

That's a bummer about the big jims.  We've each had our troubles with them.

I kept 6 seeds from that pack and they've all germinated now, the first at 8 days, then again at 11, 13, and the final 3 yesterday at day 18.  Here's a pic of them.  They look in good shape - except for Rick Allen up top, who had an accident.  I gave them no soak and consistent 80F temps (in the Coleman cooler) until the first popped, then they went under the T5HO's with periodic squirts from a spray bottle until they all popped.

Face aside :)  maybe your soak had something to do with it.  Maybe something else.  Man, it's hard to say with seeds.  Sometimes they just don't do their thing when others in seemingly identical conditions rock out.  My T5 tent is probably topping out at 75F and gets down to mid 60's over the course of a 7 or 8 hours dark cycle.  I probably watered them on the light side, too, FWIW.

20200409 BigJims.jpg

CaneDog said:
:shocked:  Damn!  It's a tough crowd today!    :)

That's a bummer about the big jims.  We've each had our troubles with them.

I kept 6 seeds from that pack and they've all germinated now, the first at 8 days, then again at 11, 13, and the final 3 yesterday at day 18.  Here's a pic of them.  They look in good shape - except for Rick Allen up top, who had an accident.  I gave them no soak and consistent 80F temps (in the Coleman cooler) until the first popped, then they went under the T5HO's with periodic squirts from a spray bottle until they all popped.

Face aside :)  maybe your soak had something to do with it.  Maybe something else.  Man, it's hard to say with seeds.  Sometimes they just don't do their thing when others in seemingly identical conditions rock out.  My T5 tent is probably topping out at 75F and gets down to mid 60's over the course of a 7 or 8 hours dark cycle.  I probably watered them on the light side, too, FWIW.

attachicon.gif
20200409 BigJims.jpg

Yeah, none of mine are coming up that robust, I gotta quit having these great ideas. Well, I'm at 50% or so, and that'll give me a good solid row of plants. The year I was pulling laundry baskets full I think I had two rows of 15 plants, though I'd have to rifle the archives to confirm that. Hatch or no, grown at home trumps for fresh and nom-nom-nom....

Finding time and funds to upgrade my starting facility is a dream of mine, likely won't be soon. The Dude will, however, abide...

stettoman said:
So I've been having an issue with the Big Jims. On some, the cotyledons are actually burnt about halfway down the leaf, and when they do hook, they're taking actual days to finally fully emerge. None of the other varieties are doing this, and more or less half of the Big Jims themselves are coming up deformed like this. Could it be from the mild Mycho soak I did with the RR pods? or might there be a genetic thing going on? These deformed sprouts, so far, are still ultimately forming true leaves, but very slowly. I see how fast some of you have plants developing and I have to wonder, besides holding my face wrong, what part I might have played in this...

Maybe you forgot your special grow down method!

Witness: I have devised a method of root acceleration via the "hey, look down here. Ya want some water?" method. 

Use your kerosene soaks, your battery acid mists, heck, toss a couple of your mom's Valium into your watering cans. Won't beat the tried and true carrot-&-stick process....

Bwaaaaaaah, hahahaha!

Weak Three:

Hooks/seedlings as of 3/28:
Hooks/seedlings additional as of 4/4:
Hooks/seedlings additional as of 4/11

Sown between 02/01 & 03/11
Growdown Fatalii -1 1
XL Brown Rocoto (CaneDog) -1 1
Big Jim Legend (CaneDog) -32 5
Aji Oro (roper2008/Bhuter) -24 5
Rocoto Amarillo (TGCM) -12 5 (a 6th succumbed to damp-off)
Aji Limo (Uncle Eccoli) -4 3
Aji Amarillo (PaulG) -2 1

Sown 03/21
Ecuador Sweet Rocoto (Canedog) -2 2
Aji Arnaucho (TGCM) -2 2
Aji Largo Rocoto -3 3
*Aji Limo? (from 2016 package PaulG Peru-sourced Aji Amarillo*) -3 1
"Costco Bell" (no, not Cascabel) -6 3
Haskorea (PtMD989) -3 2
Urfa Biber (Devv) -3 0
Jimmy Nardello (Devv) -3 2
Aleppo (Moruga Welder) -3 1
Antep Aci Dolma (Moruga Welder) -3 1
Large Orange Thai (Devv) -2 

Tomatillo -2 6 (overseeded)
Tomato "Legend" -2 8 (overseeded)
Tomato "Abe Lincoln" -2 8 (overseeded)

The tomatoes and tomatillo were thinned this week, gawd I hate doing that. Some of the peppers are going to need it too, the Aji Largo, which I planted dry, came up 100%. That means there are lots. It is nice to see more Aji Oros as well, should get a pile of seed this season.

First time ever I tried the wet-paper-towel-in-a-ziploc method of germination on Unca Ecc's Aji Limo seed...damned if they aren't producing a rootlet every other day. And that "Aji Limarillo" is still identical to the small, demure cotys of those Limos of The Eccster's. 

Yes, the new Big Jims are 50/50 disfigured or not. One is actually continuing to burn from the leaf tips, likely a goner...

Happy Easter. 

Back