• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

PaulG said:
I hear you about the OW bugs, Stett. I am not
going to OW plants anymore. I'm sure the aphids
came in with one of my OW plants. Drat! I got tired
of picking them off every day. Especially with 50
plants. PITA for sure.

And it just takes one. Freakin'. Bug. A couple of the Darlin' Brides houseplants have them now, so I doubt it'll ever be safe inside, sans a complete fumigation. Not goin' there...

But yeah, lack of good floral hygiene and bringing a couple dozen plants in on frost nights last fall set me up for a nightmare. It's ok, the Bride wants to move to suth'n Colorado in the next year or two. THEN I be growin' me the Big Jims!!

Dammit. The duck! The duck!!

daffy.jpg

stettoman said:
...and I have yet to find a retail source...in America, anyhow...no 'Dog I didn't find any at the Atlantic Pepper site either, though there are a few that look similar with different names. Different names seems a thing with the Pubescens....

You can always try fatalliseeds.net here in Finland. I don't buy the fatalliseeds.net seeds because I'd rather just go and buy plants straight from the man himself :-) He only lives about 20 minute drive from me.

Good luck on your grow this year.

Zone 3 is slow, but it's moving. 

Hooks/seedlings as of 3/28:
Hooks/seedlings additional as of 4/4:

Sown between 02/01 & 03/11
Growdown Fatalii -1 1
XL Brown Rocoto (CaneDog) -1 1
Big Jim Legend (CaneDog) -32 3
Aji Oro (roper2008/Bhuter) -24 1
Rocoto Amarillo (TGCM) -12 5 (a 6th succumbed to damp-off)
Aji Limo (Uncle Eccoli) -4 1
Aji Amarillo (PaulG) -2 1

Sown 03/21
Ecuador Sweet Rocoto (Canedog) -2 2
Aji Arnaucho (TGCM) -2 2
Aji Largo Rocoto -3 0
*Aji Limo? (from 2016 package PaulG Peru-sourced Aji Amarillo*) -3 0
"Costco Bell" (no, not Cascabel) -6 3
Haskorea (PtMD989) -3 2
Urfa Biber (Devv) -3 0
Jimmy Nardello (Devv) -3 2
Aleppo (Moruga Welder) -3 1
Antep Aci Dolma (Moruga Welder) -3 1
Large Orange Thai (Devv) -2 

Tomatillo -2 6 (overseeded)
Tomato "Legend" -2 8 (overseeded)
Tomato "Abe Lincoln" -2 8 (overseeded)

The Darlin' Bride tried her first stuffed Rocoto the other night, a Gelbe Riesen Yellow from last season. To my delight she loved it! Now I'm thinking of planting more Rocotos...Well hell, anyway. The locals here are really liking that Pubescen heat profile, I'm going to have to share some seed with the local nurseries...

I got to be careful, the buggy OWs are still upstairs, at least the live ones still are. And I don't even know if they're going to fare any better once they're put out. I have a LOT of old potting soil to bake if I want to reuse any of it, and with 20 gallon pots scheduled for use I can't afford all the new soil to to fill them...

podz said:

You can always try fatalliseeds.net here in Finland. I don't buy the fatalliseeds.net seeds because I'd rather just go and buy plants straight from the man himself :-) He only lives about 20 minute drive from me.
That is just too awesome. I would do the same thing!
stettoman said:
Well damn. Aji Oro hook #1 this morning. 

Pinch me.... :woohoo: uh, if you can catch me...
Now, now. Social distancing, my friend.

Glad your seeds are still putting up some hooks.

stettoman said:

I got to be careful, the buggy OWs are still upstairs, at least the live ones still are. And I don't even know if they're going to fare any better once they're put out. I have a LOT of old potting soil to bake if I want to reuse any of it, and with 20 gallon pots scheduled for use I can't afford all the new soil to to fill them...
Just what do you do to your used potting soil? I had a pile that was almost a yard in a bin for a few years. I just amended it with compost and a few goodies or I would have went broke filling 10 15 gal bags.

podz said:

I have, and determined that though they do have them, I found them too late for this season and will have to wait for next season anyway, but thanks! Maybe you can put in a good word for me with your friends there, I might get express shipping... :party:

PtMD989 said:
Pinch, from 6 feet away [emoji16][emoji106]

Aren't you a dickens!! Don't be leaving marks unless you want to deal with a Very. Possessive. Bride...

Devv said:
Just what do you do to your used potting soil? I had a pile that was almost a yard in a bin for a few years. I just amended it with compost and a few goodies or I would have went broke filling 10 15 gal bags.

Actually Scott This is the first year that I'm going to have leftover. Before last season my "soil" was the 8th acre. Then last season a series of unfortunate events led me to abandon planting the 8th acre in favor of a container grow. I saved most of the soil, 3 45-gallon contractor bags full, plus a few smaller bags from plants that passed over the winter. I'm not really sure what I need to do to revitalize that stuff, and I don't want to sterilize it, but I've read that the nasties lay eggs in that soil for future torment, and that baking the soil at +/- 180F for a half hour eliminates sleeping pygmy headhunters...Unless you have a better idea, which no doubt most of you guys do...I should kibbutz with Stickman, should'na I...? I do plan to utilize the (half of an) 8th acre this season, but there will be containers for stubborn maturers like Aji Amarillo and others.

CaneDog said:
Good to see sprouts continuing to come up.  Wish the big jim's were doing better for you, though.

I finally filled out my big jim power trio, with the 3rd of 6 sprouting this morning.  Even at just 50% I'll consider that a triumph.

Thanks 'Dog. I think I've figured out a possible issue with the late and the slightly malformed hooks coming up: Remember when I said I had soaked my RR pods in a Mycho solution? I have to wonder if it wasn't too much too early...Some of my Big Jims came up twisted and with cotys short and burnt at the ends. Never had that issue before, and a number of the Rocoto Amarillos are the same, only frailer. But otherwise I too am just under 50% on the Big Jims, hoping for at least a few more to get those laundry baskets full like I did a couple years ago...

As for your soil recycling, if you are worried about
critters, you can innoculate your containers with
nematodes and/or other predatory organisms. I
have never sterilized my recycled soil, just amended
with whatever I’m feeling in the mood for. Not very
scientific, but hasn’t bitten me in the heinie yet.
Knock on wood.

Pepper Guru would be a good source of information
Regarding this issue.

I had all this stuff left over from last year, some Azomite, kelp meal, tomato tone, and some fish bone meal. Along with some compost, as long as it lasted. That and I use some liquid nutrients.

Container growing is an experiment for me for sure. So far I think the bag ladies may well be ahead of the dirt grow. Time will tell...

OK, remember this little conversation, Paul? 

PaulG said:
I still can't figure out where those Aji Limo came
from. I  had no pods the one time I planted them.
Possible they got mixed in when my friend brought
the seeds back from Peru. At any rate, I hope they
really get it on for you.

stettoman said:
I remember quite the discussion being had over those Peruvian seeds, you couldn't figure how those got in there either, but it was a wonderful adventure and mystery, and I won in the end!

Not to blow a horn just yet, but one of those Peruvian-sourced Aji Amarillo/?Aji Limo? seeds has hooked, and though I know the cotys start out pretty small on all pepper sprouts, Aji Amarillo tends to be a bit bigger than others. The cotyledons on this one are 8mm total, minuscule for type. Being holed up in this house with little more to do than tear my hair out working up the intro to Spirit of Radio, I'm actually prematurely giddy about this...I will keep you updated...

Back