• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

I feel ya on the waiting for hooks part brotha! Luckily that Vegas trip last week, and me having to come up to work for a couple days now makes it better. Air pots got mixed reviews last year, but the bags are pretty well liked??? We shall see now that the Rickster is testing them out!

Thanks for the moral support guys! I peeled the coffee filters apart to check how the seeds are doing tonight, and see that the centers are still white, but the outside edges of the seed coats are becoming translucent. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll see radicles...

Hi Bodeen, and thanks for the kind words. I hope the same for you. If this winter plays out like the last one, it could be another early spring... it's certainly heading that way at the moment.

Good luck on the hooks, Rick. Should be any day now. Like Trippa, Megamoo, and Stefan said, I always start looking early hoping for something, but never see anything until at least five days. Once I saw three days, but that was rare and was with seeds from a fresh pod. They'll get there. It's funny, sometimes you'll check on them at one time, then check a few hours later and see a hook where you didn't see one before! ;)

It looks cold outside that window where the germination station is set up!

I'll be interested to see your results with the Air Pots. They look cool, but seem kind of pricey, especially for five to seven gallon pots and enough to do an entire grow. The Root Pouches are a bit more reasonable, but not by much. I'm hoping the Wally bags will be the cost-effective ticket.

Good luck on the hooks, Rick. Should be any day now. Like Trippa, Megamoo, and Stefan said, I always start looking early hoping for something, but never see anything until at least five days. Once I saw three days, but that was rare and was with seeds from a fresh pod. They'll get there. It's funny, sometimes you'll check on them at one time, then check a few hours later and see a hook where you didn't see one before! ;)

It looks cold outside that window where the germination station is set up!

I'll be interested to see your results with the Air Pots. They look cool, but seem kind of pricey, especially for five to seven gallon pots and enough to do an entire grow. The Root Pouches are a bit more reasonable, but not by much. I'm hoping the Wally bags will be the cost-effective ticket.

Hi Doc
Checked seeds again this morning, and all but the Manzano are starting to push out radicles. Tried to get a closeup, but the camera won't go that small that close. I should begin planting in a couple of days.

Yup, it's cold outside, but not as cold here as usual for January. At the moment it's overcast and we're getting a scant drizzle that's too warm to freeze. It's about 33 degrees down here in the valley, but up in the hills it's freezing and the road crews have to spread sand and salt to make the roads passable.

I was attracted to the airpots because they are nearly a sixteenth of an inch thick, and made of recycled milk jug plastic. They're very durable. I'll have to keep an eye on your WallyBag experiment as they seem to be a cheap alternative to the more expensive root pouches. Who cares if they only last a season if they can be had for a quarter apiece!

Checked seeds again this morning, and all but the Manzano are starting to push out radicles. Tried to get a closeup, but the camera won't go that small that close. I should begin planting in a couple of days

Awesome! I will be very interested to follow your results with the Manzano. The two pubescens varieties I'm trying to grow are acting quite finicky.

Hi Stefan
I don't talk to them, but they're in the same room as the computer that I use to set the music list. Today they're listening to Rumba...

I've been looking up what I can find online for the Urfa Biber chile... especially how it's cured when ripe so it gets that deep purple color, and presumably, complex flavor as well. I absolutely adore Eggplant, and one of my favorite ways to prepare it is a Turkish dish called Patlican. Thick slices of peeled Eggplant are sprinkled with a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice on each side and both are rubbed in. The treated slices are allowed to drain in a colander in the sink for a half an hour or so, rinsed, patted dry and fried in olive oil until red-brown and served with a yogurt/garlic sauce. I'll bet a yogurt sauce made with the cured Urfa Biber would taste fantastic, and the purple color would evoke the color of the eggplant skin. One of the benefits of treating the eggplant slices this way before frying is that it changes their cellular structure enough that they don't soak up oil like a sponge when you fry them the way the raw eggplant does.

I worked in a Greek restaraunt when I was much younger, and we used a lot of eggplant. Mostly it was for moussaka, which is wicked good. It sounds similar, because it is based on eggplant slices that are based with a covering of olive oil and some salt added.

Hey, Rick, won't be long until you are getting dirt under your fingernails!
Good luck getting those manzanos to pop; sounds like something is happening!

I worked in a Greek restaraunt when I was much younger, and we used a lot of eggplant. Mostly it was for moussaka, which is wicked good. It sounds similar, because it is based on eggplant slices that are based with a covering of olive oil and some salt added.
Oh yeah... I really like Moussaka too. Especially if it's made with ground lamb spiced with cinnamon.

Hey, Rick, won't be long until you are getting dirt under your fingernails!
Good luck getting those manzanos to pop; sounds like something is happening!
I hope so Paul... how long did it take yours to sprout?

Hi Stefan
I don't talk to them, but they're in the same room as the computer that I use to set the music list. Today they're listening to Rumba...

I've been looking up what I can find online for the Urfa Biber chile... especially how it's cured when ripe so it gets that deep purple color, and presumably, complex flavor as well. I absolutely adore Eggplant, and one of my favorite ways to prepare it is a Turkish dish called Patlican. Thick slices of peeled Eggplant are sprinkled with a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice on each side and both are rubbed in. The treated slices are allowed to drain in a colander in the sink for a half an hour or so, rinsed, patted dry and fried in olive oil until red-brown and served with a yogurt/garlic sauce. I'll bet a yogurt sauce made with the cured Urfa Biber would taste fantastic, and the purple color would evoke the color of the eggplant skin. One of the benefits of treating the eggplant slices this way before frying is that it changes their cellular structure enough that they don't soak up oil like a sponge when you fry them the way the raw eggplant does.

Sounds good, Rick! We often use eggplant in the kitchen so I know it's good ;) I tried to grow it myself a couple of times but it didn't gave a great yield and the aphids seems to love the plants more then peppers :(

Sounds good, Rick! We often use eggplant in the kitchen so I know it's good ;) I tried to grow it myself a couple of times but it didn't gave a great yield and the aphids seems to love the plants more then peppers :(
Sorry to hear that Stefan, but the silver lining is that if you want to bait the aphids to one location so you can nuke them without affecting your chiles, then all you need is to plant one eggplant per greenhouse...

The seeds with the most developed radicles this morning are the Aji Omnicolors. I planted them in Solo cups. Thanks for the seeds Paul!

Sorry to hear that Stefan, but the silver lining is that if you want to bait the aphids to one location so you can nuke them without affecting your chiles, then all you need is to plant one eggplant per greenhouse...

The seeds with the most developed radicles this morning are the Aji Omnicolors. I planted them in Solo cups. Thanks for the seeds Paul!

Good to know about the eggplant. Hmmm.

Glad to hear about the Omicolors. And it begins... ;)

Nice, haven't thought about it that way. Makes sense :lol: and I'm gonna give that a try although I hardly had any aphids in my greenhouse last season. Think it's to hot inside for them.

Back