• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Planted my Aji Criolla Sella seeds today since the majority of them were showing radicles. Sorry, no pics... my camera won't zoom in that close and far enough away doesn't show enough detail. I'll post them when I get hooks.

This is what my grow shelf setup looks like...
SANY0383_zpsee53859d.jpg

For the top shelf I have a droplight with a 23w 5000k CFL, and another droplight with a 12w "vigorous veg LED grow spot" from sunshine systems. I wanted the plants to have more spectra than the blue of the LED, and I thought they should get more than just 12w of light, so that's why I paired them up. We'll see how it goes...

The LED looks like this...
SANY0388_zpsc35d2fc9.jpg

SANY0386_zps39e38c3f.jpg

Here's what it looks like when it's on...
SANY0384_zpse5599c0c.jpg

I've wired power strips in series on the underside of each set of shelves and used the plug-in sockets with more CFLs on the lower levels like I did last year.

SANY0385_zps6a73375a.jpg

Put some Maya Red Habanero and Kurtovska Kapija seeds on to soak last night as well.

Love the grow shelf, Rick. Those little seedlings can look out the window and see how good they've got it! ;) Glad to hear the radicles are out there looking to root.

What the...? Eleven pages already Rick. You will have over a hundred
by the end of the season!

I hope so Paul... how long did it take yours to sprout?
My Orange Rocoto harvest seed took 8 days for the first three to pop,
and one more the next day. No new ones since then. Glad the Omnicolors
are doing a good job for ya, Rick!

Nice grow shelf, Rick!

Nice set up Rick.

Are you using the LED lights for the first time? A friend grower here in Croatia used some LED lights last year, and he was dissapointed at the end, they didn't do much good for his peppers.

I'm using CFL bulbs only, a pair of Phillips Tornado (32w, 6500K, 2200 lumens each).

Thanks for the kind words all!

The Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros have germed, and I've planted them in Solo cups this morning. Three down and 6 to go...

Interesting setup, the plants benefit from both the growlighting and the natural window light.......It looks like you have the drapes tied back on the right side, tell me you close the drapes at night...

Interesting setup, the plants benefit from both the growlighting and the natural window light.......It looks like you have the drapes tied back on the right side, tell me you close the drapes at night...
Hi Greg
Yeah, they're thermal drapes, and we close them at night to keep the heat in. In the AM we open them up again to let in the solar gain. We get half of our heat from the sun during the winter months..

In the summertime it reverses. We close the drapes during the day to keep the inside of the house cooler, and open them up at night to radiate more heat.

I found that even under the grow lights the plants still lean toward natural light, so I have to keep spinning the trays to keep them growing straight.

Great things happening there, my man!
Be interesting to see how the light set up works for you.

"no one around with a straw or a rolled up dollar" - Jamie

What a bunch of cheapskates!
If you can afford snow, use a $10 at least! :rofl:

Hard Water, hummm Shane was having that problem too. Time for a water softner Rick :)

:cool:

Heck, I'm too cheap for the rolled up dollar, even... Guess I'll be waiting for the water softener to roll around again in a couple of months...

Nice to see that now that 'most everybody has hooks showing the mood has lightened somewhat.

I came home from work to find that the 7-Pot Yellow, Douglah and Jamaican Hot Chocolate had broken dormancy, and I planted those as well. The last holdout from the first wave is the Manzano Amarillo.

Hey Stickman, all looking really impressive. I seem to remember seeing tunnels from you last years grow log. Will you be going into soil this year?

Thanks Guys!

Hey Stickman, all looking really impressive. I seem to remember seeing tunnels from you last years grow log. Will you be going into soil this year?

Yeah, I'm planning on mostly planting in the ground and using the same strategies to extend the season that I did last year. I've been tempted to grow a few more chiles than I have space for in the ground, and those I'll grow in pots next to the house. I want to overwinter a couple varieties this year, so those will be the ones I plant in them. Cheers

Cool pictures Rick, love the snowy scene behind the window! I like the shelf setup but I’m amazed that you produce so much from that little shelf; you my friend are a magician :)

Cool pictures Rick, love the snowy scene behind the window! I like the shelf setup but I’m amazed that you produce so much from that little shelf; you my friend are a magician :)
Thanks for the vote of confidence Ramon... there's room for 2 flats on each of 4 shelves, not so small if you consider the size of my plot. :)
It's not pepper-related, but the next thing I'll start from seed is my yellow storage onions. They'll need an 8 week headstart before I plant them out sometime after the middle of March.

Back