• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ramon... there's room for 2 flats on each of 4 shelves, not so small if you consider the size of my plot. :)
It's not pepper-related, but the next thing I'll start from seed is my yellow storage onions. They'll need an 8 week headstart before I plant them out sometime after the middle of March.

What else do you have up your non-chilli growing sleeve this season Rick??

I'll probably start a "growing other" thread for the non-chiles, but the early stuff I plant outside will be the long-day onions and early greens called Corn Salad and Claytonia. I plant Scallion seeds outside in May and let them winter over. When they start to grow again in early spring I transplant the onions and early greens outside too.

I like to plant a variety of Asian greens, Korean Ho Bak squash, pickling Cucumbers, lettuce, collards, Sungold cherry tomatoes,Amish paste tomatoes, Italian eggplant, pole-type shell beans, French filet beans French breakfast radishes and Korean radishes. The French breakfast radishes only take a few weeks to grow once it warms up, and I use those in salads. The Korean radishes get much larger... as thick as my fist and 10 inches to a foot long... Those I use for stir-fries, kimchi and the "Slaw" called Mu Saengch'ae.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ramon... there's room for 2 flats on each of 4 shelves, not so small if you consider the size of my plot. ...
Brethren WG was only pulling your chain, I bow to all you guys knowledge and grow experience :)

It's not pepper-related, but the next thing I'll start from seed is my yellow storage onions. ...
So cool, I've never tried growing onion ... been getting a good deal on vidalia onions lately, works great in that sofrito starter we do, I'm filling that thing twice a week now, lol. Besides that, we use a lot of onions in other cooking, we just love dem.

I wanted to grow onions, but it is not space effective for my tiny garden. Looking forward to seeing your grow! I'm not sure you need to start a whole new glog in growing other just for that though. The way I see it is that if you can eat all of it together when making up yummy dishes why not put up pictures of the entire garden in one spot?

Rick I think your becoming a Grow-A-Holic but that's not a bad thing. I'm going to be germinating some of the Ground Cherries you sent me this weekend. Need to look for some early strawberries to get going also. Pulled a nice tomato this morning. It was small but nice and sweet and was perfect witha couple of fried eggs. Can't wait for the Dawn Patrol to get started up. Till then stay warm bro.

When do you plant your collard greens? Do you plant spinach?
Hi Pia
No, I don't plant spinach... it bolts too quickly and it has oxalic acid in it... interferes with calcium uptake in the body. I go with Collards instead because once I get them established in the spring, I can cut leaves off them for the rest of the season, and usually through November or so. The mature plants are frost-tolerant, but the young ones are tender, so I start them around the middle of May.

So cool, I've never tried growing onion ... been getting a good deal on vidalia onions lately, works great in that sofrito starter we do, I'm filling that thing twice a week now, lol. Besides that, we use a lot of onions in other cooking, we just love dem.
Growing onions is easy, but they take awhile, and grow best in cooler temperatures. Down south they grow short-day onions during the winter, but up here the long-day varieties do better in summertime.

I wanted to grow onions, but it is not space effective for my tiny garden. Looking forward to seeing your grow!
If you think about it... onions don't take up all that much space because they don't branch out like other vegetables. You could grow 12 to 14 onions per square foot if you wanted to.

Rick I think your becoming a Grow-A-Holic but that's not a bad thing. I'm going to be germinating some of the Ground Cherries you sent me this weekend. Need to look for some early strawberries to get going also. Pulled a nice tomato this morning. It was small but nice and sweet and was perfect witha couple of fried eggs. Can't wait for the Dawn Patrol to get started up. Till then stay warm bro.
Hi Bill
Good luck with the ground cherries, they should be easy to grow for you since they're volunteering readily in our northern garden every year. Glad to hear you're picking tomatoes and have a Gochu or two coming along. Maybe this year we'll get to see your take on gochu jeon...

Cheers All

Thanks Rick. I dont eat spinach that often but I like it in certain recipes. I have collards and as you know they are a staple in black ppls house holds so I figured why keep buying when I should be growing. So I should start them I guess late April early May here. And I know the frost, late season, makes them melt in your mouth. YUMMMMMM .... thanks Rick

The Omnicolor hook is standing up straight today and another hook is coming up in the same cup...
SANY0394_zps821967bf.jpg

The Maya Red Habanero broke dormancy, so I planted those seeds today. Manzano Amarillo the only holdout. It looks like I'm gonna have to soak and plant more seeds to get one to pop. Maybe it needs a 24 hour soak in the saltpeter solution and planting in soil to do so. It certainly won't hurt to try...

Looking good, Rick! Those Manzanos take a while to sprout. Don't give up on them. Mine just now have radicles and it's been three weeks! I'm not using a heat mat though, which I'm sure would speed things up a bit.

Back