• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

stickman said:
For those of you not familiar... What Brother Bill was referring to in post #2103 is this thread... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32602-making-some-puree-todaywill-post-pics-of-the-processits-easy/?hl=%20aj#39;s%20%20puree

I followed AJ's method except for one particular... I cooked it down like I would for Ajvar, until a spoon run down the middle parts the pulp to either side, but the liquid doesn't run back in to fill the gap... like thus
SANY0222_zps9b292cb5.jpg

I never had a problem with separation when making Ajvar as long as I didn't leave out this step.

The finished product.... 314 grams of ripe Yellow 7 pods reduced to three 4oz jars. Cool!
SANY0223_zps6d220d8b.jpg

Ok Brother Rick, now that you have it made, we need a good spoon test and review of the puree! <Inserting an evil grin here cause you know it's going to hurt!>

Or, you might convince Matt to give it a spoon test  :halo:

romy6 said:
 That looks superb Rick. Your attention to detail always amazes me. 

Have a great labor day weekend!!! :dance:

And I would leave the powder by itself. You can always add garlic and what not to the meal.  :party:

Thanks brother Jamie! I filled a small peanut butter jar with the smoked powder yesterday. I tried a bit on the end of my little finger and found that the most prevalent flavors I could taste were smoke, bitterness and picante... it was like a hot coal sitting on my tongue, and drinking a beer made it even worse for a few minutes.  I'll make an egg n' cheese breakfast sandwich with it this morning to get a better idea how it tastes on food.

RocketMan said:

Ok Brother Rick, now that you have it made, we need a good spoon test and review of the puree! <Inserting an evil grin here cause you know it's going to hurt!>

Or, you might convince Matt to give it a spoon test  :halo:
I was really happy with the way it came out... thanks for the nudge Bill! I'll give it a taste test this weekend, but don't think I wanna add it to the load Matt's been carrying the last few weeks... he's got nothing to prove to me anyway.

MGOLD86 said:
Not funny Bill..... :shame:
It just goes to show... peer pressure only works once when it comes to eating superhot chiles... eating them repeatedly in a short amount of time takes a special kind of crazy, and even that gets old! ;)

Stefan_W said:
Awesome looking shot of the dehydrator all podded up! Have a great weekend :)
Thanks Stefan!

Everybody have a great Labor Day weekend!

Oi! The inaugural run of the smoked "kitchen sink" powder was a success... I put about a quarter tsp on my eggs this morning and got lit up good! Got that "hot coal" feeling over everything in the mouth and throat for about 15 or 20 minutes and it faded to a moderate burn for another 15 or 20. The smoke flavor came through clearly, but there was no dominant pepper flavor since I mixed up the varieties. No bitterness in the food either, which would have been a deal-breaker. I put in Douglahs, JA Hot Chocolate Habs, Magnum Orange Habs, Maya Red Habs,Not Scotch Bonnets, Not Yellow Bhuts, a few Butch T. pods, Cheiro Recife pods and a half dozen Trinidad Perfume pods I got at a farmstand to collect the seeds from. I didn't bother to smoke the Trinidad Perfumes or Cheiros (because the Cheiros were so small and full of seeds), but the rest were all smoked with Cherry wood predominantly, and a little Apple wood to make it last longer.

Sounds good! Sometimes the mix of a lot of flavours is awesome like that. I often put in 6-8  pepper types into salsas, and it almost always ends up tasting way better than focusing on one or two types. 

Glad to hear it worked out for you! I have been toying with the same thing for a bit...main mix being all the hottest. This one hits the throat, this one the mouth, lips...etc. with a little something to even out the flavor. My goal is to build the "complete burn" but still with a good flavor...not there yet, but getting closer. There is just no taming a few of their flavors, so overpowering. The burn is there though!!! :fireball:

Your puree looks perfect...you do some amazing stuff Rick, I always learn something over here! Any sign of ripening on the Manzanos? I figure you have a couple more weeks...fingers crossed. They have an OK taste while still green like a Jal...but ripe is so much sweeter. Local farmers markets have both ripe and green ones.

With 2 demanding boys, wife in da hospital, work and driving in numerous directions I’ve fallen behind on everyone’s glog but just got caught up on yours. To put it in an easier way to understand I’ve been busier than a one-toothed man in a hot chili eating contest, hehehe

Great pics of the smoker, dehydrator and to read your description of the kitchen sink on your eggs sounds great. I’ve been cutting back the amount of salt I’m using in my mixes replacing with onion, garlic and other powdered veggies, da flavor is great … way to go mon!

Stefan_W said:
Sounds good! Sometimes the mix of a lot of flavours is awesome like that. I often put in 6-8  pepper types into salsas, and it almost always ends up tasting way better than focusing on one or two types. 
stc3248 said:
Glad to hear it worked out for you! I have been toying with the same thing for a bit...main mix being all the hottest. This one hits the throat, this one the mouth, lips...etc. with a little something to even out the flavor. My goal is to build the "complete burn" but still with a good flavor...not there yet, but getting closer. There is just no taming a few of their flavors, so overpowering. The burn is there though!!! :fireball:

Your puree looks perfect...you do some amazing stuff Rick, I always learn something over here! Any sign of ripening on the Manzanos? I figure you have a couple more weeks...fingers crossed. They have an OK taste while still green like a Jal...but ripe is so much sweeter. Local farmers markets have both ripe and green ones.

Thanks guys! I think this blend has a great all-over burn, and I look forward to using it a lot this winter.

Brother Shane... I was just outside making the morning pull, when I spotted the first subtle color change on one of the Manzanos. It wasn't pronounced enough to show up on camera, but no doubt it will sometime in the next week or so. :woohoo:
WalkGood said:
With 2 demanding boys, wife in da hospital, work and driving in numerous directions I’ve fallen behind on everyone’s glog but just got caught up on yours. To put it in an easier way to understand I’ve been busier than a one-toothed man in a hot chili eating contest, hehehe

Great pics of the smoker, dehydrator and to read your description of the kitchen sink on your eggs sounds great. I’ve been cutting back the amount of salt I’m using in my mixes replacing with onion, garlic and other powdered veggies, da flavor is great … way to go mon!

I understand Ramon... I purely do! ;)  We're pulling for you and your lady... hope she gets better soon.

I hear ya on the salt in powders too... I have hypertension, and have to limit my intake... powders without the salt are a great way to add flavor without it.

Sweet! How many set that first round...once one turns they'll all start lighting up yellow for you. They have a pretty quick color change for a large pod. Congrats brother!!! Now comes the hard part, hmmmm...diced in salsa??? sauced??? powdered??? stuffed??? sauteed??? If you stuff them...then there's a whole bunch more questions...Seafood??? Cheese??? Beans??? Rice??? Taco Meat??? My personal favorite is a refried bean/mexican rice/colby jack filling wrapped in bacon and slow cooked until tender. Mmmmmm....

Glad the powder worked out for you Rick!

It's so versatile and the great thing is it's easy to control the heat and flavor when added to dishes.

Can't wait to see the Manzano's ripen for you.

Have a great weekend!

stc3248 said:
Sweet! How many set that first round...once one turns they'll all start lighting up yellow for you. They have a pretty quick color change for a large pod. Congrats brother!!! Now comes the hard part, hmmmm...diced in salsa??? sauced??? powdered??? stuffed??? sauteed??? If you stuff them...then there's a whole bunch more questions...Seafood??? Cheese??? Beans??? Rice??? Taco Meat??? My personal favorite is a refried bean/mexican rice/colby jack filling wrapped in bacon and slow cooked until tender. Mmmmmm....
Hi Shane,
   The Manzano only set about a dozen pods. It has so many for the height of the plant that it hasn't grown much since setting them. The Red Rocoto finally set its first pod this week, and it's easily 4 times the height of the Manzano. I'm planning on overwintering the Douglah  and Manzano if I can pull it off, to try and get a jump on next season. No idea what I'm gonna do with the Manzano pods when they finally ripen except save the seeds... Thanks for the suggestion of stuffed Tex-Mex style. I liked your Manzano powder on fish (especially Bluefish), so that's another option. At this point I guess I'm open to suggestion.
Devv said:
Glad the powder worked out for you Rick!

It's so versatile and the great thing is it's easy to control the heat and flavor when added to dishes.

Can't wait to see the Manzano's ripen for you.

Have a great weekend!
Thanks Scott, you too!
PeriPeri said:
Geez Rick, that is one continuous bumper crop - nice one my friend! Those pods look just incredible.
Thanks Lourens,
   I don't think I'm even in your weight class when you compare the volume of our grows, but I try to do the best I can... :)

Are you planning on overwintering the rocoto too? My understanding is that they are usually a two year project to get going, and you overwinter in between. Next year it should load up with pods for you.

Stefan_W said:
Are you planning on overwintering the rocoto too? My understanding is that they are usually a two year project to get going, and you overwinter in between. Next year it should load up with pods for you.
Hi Stefan,
   No, I only have room for a couple of OW plants down cellar, and the Rocoto didn't make the cut with me. If you find yourself down this way before frost you're welcome to it.

stickman said:
Hi Stefan,
   No, I only have room for a couple of OW plants down cellar, and the Rocoto didn't make the cut with me. If you find yourself down this way before frost you're welcome to it.

I would definitely take you up on it if you were closer, but I don't have the opportunity to get away for long enough to make that happen. I do appreciate the offer though!

stickman said:
Hi Stefan,
Rick - might just jump on a bird and take that off your hands my friend. I think someone here needs to invent a teleportation device - so OW plants can be teleported to the Southern hemisphere to continue growing :) We will call it the trans continental chilli teleporter TCCT!

PeriPeri said:
Rick - might just jump on a bird and take that off your hands my friend. I think someone here needs to invent a teleportation device - so OW plants can be teleported to the Southern hemisphere to continue growing :) We will call it the trans continental chilli teleporter TCCT!
Either would be great Lourens... If you do find yourself out this way, you'd be welcome.

Hi all,
   I spent the day doing chores around the place... no time for grilling, but I made some spaghetti carbonara and ran through another batch of Yellow 7 puree.
   A bit over 300 grams of pods... a triple batch... seeded, sugar, salt and white vinegar added
SANY0229_zps565dce87.jpg

Processed
SANY0230_zps0489af81.jpg

before cooking
SANY0231_zps53c1d8ea.jpg

done cooking
SANY0232_zpsb7fce157.jpg

canning up
SANY0233_zps110ee07e.jpg

3 more jars done makes half a case of 4 oz jars of puree.

Hope you all had a great holiday!

Back